The online racing simulator
Ever been so close to something?
Doing a 20 lap race on AS Club, was in 1st with Strudders catching up since the beginning. Got to the last corner on lap 18 and bang, no petrol. :banghead: Stuck the clutch in and tried to roll to the 1st pit box and to top it all off, i stop 2 metres from the box. :chair:

Luckly the nice man GianniC pushed me into the box a lap later.

Couldn't believe it, would of been a great close last two laps.

Anyone else got an even like this? Tell us.
Attached images
LFS 2006-07-05 20-47-36-71.jpg
It's reasons like this I always fuel myself about 35 laps too long.

Paranoid, perhaps. But atleast I never run out of fuel
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I ussualy take 5% more fuel onboard than needed. Just in case.
Yeah i had a league race this weekend at South City Sprint 2 Reverse with the UF1000. Now this fuel guzzling monster() uses 0.4 per lap, now i almost forgot to set my fuel before the race so did a quick calcualtion in my head....i ran out of fuel entering the last sector with a 20 second lead, finished 4th in the end getting pushed over by a fellow racer hearing my cry for help

Normally i always put 1 extra lap of fuel in just incase but really stuffed the it up this time.

Was good fun that combo, brilliant close racing and overtaking is so difficult and no room for error with no available pitting!
I always take 5% more to account for my off track excursions
yeah i have been caught out a few times
I've only ran out of gas a few times... First time was in practice offline, other times were when I was messing with the fuel to get the amount just right. But I learned now to have a bit more, because I once had a race and ran outta fuel just before the last chicane at aston, sucked hard I also once had just enough fuel with me, and when I crossed the finish line I ran out of fuel. Now I learned to carry a bit more, because I spin out quite a lot, and that makes a big difference.
I usually run 2-3 laps more fuel than is needed, it doesnt give enough of a boost to warrant throwing it all away for nothing on the last lap.

I did however, in one of my first league races, incorrectly calculate how much I needed to refuel and after spending the last 10 laps cruising at the end of the straights and at the same time trying to control the gap back to the car behind, I ran out on the finish straight and coasted over the line a nats whisker ahead of 5th place.
#9 - RiGun
The first time I participated in our local league I misscalculated the pit in lap and ran out of fuel in the last lap being first by 40 seconds lol, i ended last, and the finish line was about 20 meters away.

And I don't know if it is a bug, but you can move your car without fuel, after loosing that race I tryed to move the car using the car battery illepall and it worked! I think that maybe this shold be removed from the game, but when you hit the ignition key the revs go up to 1.000 RPM, so if you deactivate auto clutch and hold the I key the car starts moving (not on all cars).
All of my real cars over the years suffer from that bug too...

You're driving on the starter motor. Some cars dont have one and are started by an external crank thingamy.
I thought about making an InSim app that would warn you when your fuel dropped below X% for this very reason, but I think such an app is beyond my coding capabilities.

edit: I would love to see stuff like this in LFS in the future. It would be nice to hear from a crew chief every now and then, reminding you to pit for fuel or tires or warning you of a crash in the next corner. Stuff like that.
Used to race with a guy called Simba alot (My hours of working means I was normally playing very early in the morning. Never worked out where he was from but he was a shit hot racer. Some very good races with him) and I ranout of the fuel onthe last lap of Ast. Nat. coming up to the dodgy chicane. Was the first time I had ever got a decent lead on him, I was dropping PB's on every lap and we had been racing like bastards. I managed to coast through the chicane and decided to punt for the finish rather than coast through the pits. (This was before I worked out you can pit and cross the line through the pits.

My mate Simba foregoed his win by bumping me across the line so we got a 1st and 2nd. He was a nice racer. I miss racing.

I want a computer.

Boohooo.
#13 - JJ72
Ohhh this is painful I was having a team endurance race on Kyoto national, my team is about 2 minute down to the leader after the final pitstop, the leader gradually emerge behind us and is about to lap us, I was driving that stint and decide in NO way I am going to let him lap me, although he is slightly faster at some spot, I am more than able to keep him behind me until the last laps, where some aggressive driving from me ruined the front tire and it start to lose grip, he laped me, I got fed up, and decide to re-overtake him just as he finish his final lap, i got him right before the line, and just when i am sinking in the satisfaction that I have avoid being lapped, I ran out of gas!!!

The funny thing is, my team is the only team being 1 lap down to the leader, the next team is already 2 laps down, so if I didn't pass him before the line, I would have crossed the finish line 1 lap down, second place granted. However as I am now on the same lap, I will have to complete a full lap and finish the whole race distance, and I ran out of fuel just at the end of the banking!!! Hence my team failed to finish and got a DNF, watching cars way behind finishes while we got no ranks!! All because of a naugthy thought of not wanting to be lapped , it was quite a laugh after the race!!
Event 1
Race 2 - ESL-ERRC Aston Club 25 laps (FXO)
http://www.esl.eu/uk/news/19760/

"Alan Stables looked set to take a comfortable fifth place, but unbelievably, runs out of juice at the final corner"

I could of " :something :chairs:
What about doing autoclutch off, put it in 1st gear, and hold your finger on the ignition button, so you will drive on your starter motor or something...

In lap 9 or 10 in a 15 lap server with pitstop required, I was 1st, I hadn't enough fuel for another lap
I was crashed by a guy in the pits, i had a stop-go penalty for that lagging player which bumped me fast through the pits.
I was resetted after the start finish... (D'oh!)

Another reason to buy/win LFS
43 laps Blackwood reverse with GTI, with important points to be gained for the Dutch season.. Last lap last turn in 6th position, my 2 direct competitors behind me.... The number 2 in the race ran out of fuel and I managed to hit him comming out of the last turn on the way to the checkqueredflag illepall

man was I mad But well we all play this game for fun! (right?)

In the end it didn't matter that much that I lost some points there, since I had to forfeit the season due to a new job which takes place only at night...

Hope others have more luck during their league races and ofcourse I hope everybody enjoys their gaming, hmm or just enjoy life in general !!

Cheers, SMOKE
#17 - Jakg
Quote from auch_enne :In the end it didn't matter that much that I lost some points there, since I had to forfeit the season due to a new job which takes place only at night...

illepall wonder what that is!
Quote : Luckly the nice man GianniC pushed me into the box a lap later.

Is this legal ( kind of )? You have to finish by your own effort ?

I know there is a way to drive along slowly using the starter-engine. I have done it once, but seem to remember auto-clutch must be off and you had to drive in a high gear, or something. Maybe it won't work in all cars ?
Yes, IRL it is illegal... But if it's not taken up in the rules of that race, you can do whatever ya want
Quote from Astro [ BJRL ] :Is this legal ( kind of )? You have to finish by your own effort ?

I know there is a way to drive along slowly using the starter-engine. I have done it once, but seem to remember auto-clutch must be off and you had to drive in a high gear, or something. Maybe it won't work in all cars ?

I wasn't Shift+S'ing on the last lap or two, an help i got was greatly recieved .

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG