The online racing simulator
Virtual RC Racing Pro released 1 Sept 2011
(91 posts, started )
Quote from BlueFlame :Depends on the track owners, but you can make a track on a smooth carpark on a Sunday night, or use an indoor warehouse. Compared with iRacing (which i thoroughly hate for its price) it's a rip off, iRacing badly simulates race days in cars that you couldn't even afford to BUY let alone run..

Fixed.

*runs away giggling*
Get a room you two.

The reason some would complain is because iRacing is the other subscription based simulation. They are charging high prices for real life racing, stuff that costs much more than a "hobby" and put the price range for people who want a racing hobby.

However racing RC cars is already a hobby, so why simulate that and put the price right up there with virtually the real thing? If iRacing cost as much as racing the same cars did in real life, I'm sure none of us would run it, but instead just do the real world stuff.

I use to do RC stuff myself (both racing and for fun). Retired myself after 2 seasons and afterwards I tried VRC. It's fun and would be a great practice tool, but I could practice for much cheaper than that.
wow what a piece of trash, I'd rather play with dogshit

but hey, thats my opinion
Quote from aroX123 :wow what a piece of trash, I'd rather play with dogshit

Sure is cheaper...

I bet even buying a dog and give it food to shit is cheaper?
Quote from tristancliffe :Fixed.

*runs away giggling*

Either way, you're paying more to play with virtual TOYS, in comparison to virtual cars..
I like this, we need more virtual hobby simulators! How about a virtual gardening simulator? I'd make it free to play but use micro transactions for things like seeds, fertilizer, or pesticides, and sell expansions to give access to things like greenhouses! :up:
:beady:
Looks good, best of luck with it.

I wouldn't have thought there'd be a market for a game like this but I do know how expensive R/C cars can be, even if they're just used for fun and not in competition, so I can see how certain people might like the idea enough to pay the price. Obviously you did your maths before you set that price, it can't be easy to set a price for such a niche product with a relatively small market.
Quote from Matrixi :In the sim, it looks like there's some odd bodyroll and tire grip going on in the corners. Hard to say for sure without having a hands on. But enough of all that. There are never too many RC games/sims around, so let's hope this one will kick off nicely.

I'll admit I do need to give the tires on the 1:10 nitro cars a bit more love to make those better. They're a bit loose with fast steering inputs which is probably what you saw that didn't look right.

1:8 nitro so far seems to get the most "this feels great" types of comments. Here's a video I made with a real car and the sim overlayed on top of each other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaHbN7XtgUw

This was probably more than six years ago. I've improved it since, although you do have to use different tire diameter splits than in reality in Pro to get it driving really nicely at the moment. I'll get that sorted eventually. I'm not yet 100% happy with all of the cars. The electric cars on carpet tracks appear so far to be the most popular.

We showed this to a room full of race engineers at a conference in Detroit a few years ago during a presentation Doug Milliken and I made on the tire testing we did for the new VRC Pro. It took awhile for any of them to figure out which one was real and which was simulated. That was a fun day.

The vehicle inertias were supplied by Serpent engineers that pulled it out of their design software, so there's no guessing or problems on that end. They sent me pages of stuff right down to the screws and bolts, pretty much.

Tire forces were measured directly on a machine that Milliken and an engineering student built. Think TIRF/Calspan, but a whole lot smaller and not as complicated and expensive Doug Milliken and I spent quite a few days together doing the actual testing. Good times. So I used real data everywhere that we could get or produce it. We even had quite an expensive wind tunnel testing project done in Holland. Unfortunately that data turned out to be useless without a rolling road, but it was neat to see the report and data anyway. I tried!

Having said that, a couple of the cars could use a little massaging to make them better. I'll get to that. It's only day 2 now..

Anyway, give it a spin. If you don't like it, get a refund. If you kind of like it, but want better handling, tell me what it is you don't like and I'll see what I can do to improve it. We have a physics section in the forums for that.

Fun video here with my friend, the founder/owner of Virtual Racing Industries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du1dCybbttA

That's over a year old and things have changed a bit since, but it may be interesting anyway.

There are some videos of races done during beta testing here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/VRCPromotion
1:5 scale looks fun for sure. I don't know if we'll make those or not though. Probably not for a very long time. Most of the requests for new onroad cars during beta testing were for 1:12 electrics. Everybody seems to be dying for offroad too which will be a major thing to do.

I'm pretty sure we'll do offroad before seriously considering 1:5 scale, so the safest answer to give you on that would probably be a simple "no, we're never doing 1:5 scale"
Quote from BlakjeKaas :I'd better make me a space simulator game then.

It seems that the space program costs 7 billion dollars per year.

So if I make a space simulator that costs only 100 million per month, that'd be cheap!

If it saves NASA 101 million per month somewhere else and nets a 1 million per month in savings, you bet!

This forum is so full of useful business advice considering what kind of simulators are in demand and what the pricing should be, I'm shocked I didn't take full advantage of it earlier.

Here's another dumb idea that would obviously never work or get built:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci1oYqeLQoY

Good thing some of you guys weren't around before there were car simulators too. Somebody who wanted to make one might have listened to the wrong advice and stopped before they started.

One more thing I forgot to mention: You can earn about 10 virtual Euros per month if you're fairly active which will offset the monthly membership cost considerably. I'm not sure how exactly that works, but it doesn't require you to play 12 hours per day every day or anything like that.
Quote from jtw62074 : You can earn about 10 virtual Euros per month if you're fairly active which will offset the monthly membership cost considerably. I'm not sure how exactly that works.

arent u a dev?
no offense, but u should know, no?
I wrote the physics engine and do all the vehicle dynamics stuff. I have nothing to do with the marketing, web site, pricing, bundling of packages, return policy, etc.. If somebody really wants to know more specifics I can get the info. What seemed relevant and missing was the info that it was possible to earn vEuros in game.
I appreciate this might be a nice sim for RC racers, and I'm sure that they are willing to pay the money, but for us sim racers, it is way too much. The demo costing money, and we can ask for a refund? The British just don't do that kind of thing, don't you know

Personally I would have liked to try it out, but there is no way I am going to pay for a demo (as I wouldn't claim a refund), and I certainly wouldn't pay the prices for the full game. I would like to ask a question. Who set these crazy high prices for the game? They are the highest of any game that I know of "IN THE WORLD", including iRacing.
If you had to pay 1 cent to try LFS, you might not be playing it now? Seems like you'd have missed out on something great with such a strict purchasing policy

Pieter Bervoets, the owner of the project that has sunk a couple million bucks into this over the years, sets the prices.

Most expensive sim in the world? I'll take that as a compliment

In all seriousness I don't see how anyone can make that claim without full information, especially if all one has seen is the subscription price on page one and never got any further into it. What about content? Tracks? Cars? Etc..

I've already spent a lot more on iRacing than anyone ever could on VRC.

Anyway, I wasn't really here to try to sell it to anybody new or get in some big debate about pricing and so forth. There have been a lot of people waiting for years for this, so I stopped in to let them know it was done. For those that couldn't care less about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EYlXay0njE
Quote from jtw62074 :If you had to pay 1 cent to try LFS, you might not be playing it now? Seems like you'd have missed out on something great with such a strict purchasing policy

We don't have to pay to continue to play LFS, and the demo is a simple download that doesn't require you to submit personal financial information.

Quote :Pieter Bervoets, the owner of the project that has sunk a couple million bucks into this over the years, sets the prices.

A couple million dollars, for an remote control toy car simulation?
The point he raised was that he wouldn't try it because he had to pay for the demo.

Quote from Rotareneg :A couple million dollars, for an remote control toy car simulation?

Yes. We've been doing this now for eleven years. This is the fourth version. Total rewrite from the ground up this time around for Pro. Six years on this latest one.. Yikes! That doesn't come cheap for a team of nine people regardless of what silly thing they're working on all throughout it
-
(cargame.nl) DELETED by cargame.nl : nah...
Quote from aroX123 :wow what a piece of trash, I'd rather play with dogshit

well if you're an iracing member then you already are
Quote from jtw62074 :The point he raised was that he wouldn't try it because he had to pay for the demo.

Ofcourse, in all seriousness who on earth would pay for demo?! I wouldn't and yes i probably haven't bought lfs also if the demo would have been charged.
Good point. I can see where you're coming from.

Do you think people would pay to beta test? Would that be even worse than charging for a demo?

Virtual RC Racing Pro released 1 Sept 2011
(91 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG