The online racing simulator
Software to join AVI files?
(12 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
My car camera produces AVI video files, but splits it into 15 minute segments.

I'm trying to make yet another timelapse, but I need to join them all together first.

Normally I use AVI Demux - but it still splits files every 4GB (and I have 13GB of video - so it's not any good).

I've tried VirtualDub but it complains the sample-rate is different.

I've tried Vegas, but it doesn't seem to like the codec.

I've tried Premiere, but it seems difficult to find a right output setting that doesn't add black bars / destroy the quality.

I'm sure Movie Maker would do it - but it doesn't support the resolution (1280*960) so would add black bars which I really don't want.

Ideally would also like a bit of software which just appends the files, without having to reprocess everything.
Isn't 4GB a file size limitation of FAT32?
#3 - troy
Well, if vdub complains did you actually check if the samplerate is different? If so you may want to convert just the audio, remux it back to the file and try again.
#4 - Jakg
Yes. But my HDD's aren't FAT32.

The software has a "configurable" splitting limit, but any higher than 6xxxxMB seems to make it divide it by 10 (i.e. 7000MB makes it make 700MB file for reasons I don't quite understand).
Quote from troy :Well, if vdub complains did you actually check if the samplerate is different? If so you may want to convert just the audio, remux it back to the file and try again.

Sample Rate probably is different - but it's not complaining about the audio (tried removing the audio totally with the same problem).
#5 - troy
You could try avidemux or otherwise why not convert your files to something streamable (I would guess you want to put it on youtube?) and then merge it?

edit: sorry I didn't see that you mentioned avi demux already
According to Avidemux wiki a standard AVI file is limited to 4 GB. A newer OpenDML standard eliminates such limitation, you can enable OpenDML AVIs in Avidemux in Tools.>Preferences->Output
#7 - Jakg
Quote from troy :You could try avidemux or otherwise why not convert your files to something streamable (I would guess you want to put it on youtube?) and then merge it?

AVI Demux doesn't work for me (as explained earlier).
Quote from MadCatX :According to Avidemux wiki a standard AVI file is limited to 4 GB. A newer OpenDML standard eliminates such limitation, you can enable OpenDML AVIs in Avidemux in Tools.>Preferences->Output

Awesome

However... even then it's still limited to 9000MB
You can try to export the resulting video in a different container like Matroska or MP4...
#9 - Jakg
Quote from MadCatX :You can try to export the resulting video in a different container like Matroska or MP4...

Ooooo good spot *tries*
How about bitrate conversion?
I doubt you need the given bitrate for the sequence.
Try V-dub and a 100% quality-pass of DivX/Xvid. (quantizer = 1)
I bet the filesize of your 15min. segments will drop.

And a Timelapse rarely has audio from the scene recorded, since you take photos eg. every few seconds.
- So drop the audio alltogether.
- join your segments run a 2-pass over it
- upload it

- done
You won't be able to use the source audio with this method (without some trickery), but I assume you don't want the original audio in a timelapse.
  • Open first video in VirtualDub
  • Go to File -> Queue batch operation -> Save image sequence...
  • Pick a filename, output directory and output format
  • Hit OK.
  • Go to File -> Job control...
  • Highlight the above job and click the Start button, then wait for it to complete.
  • Repeat for second video
  • Drag-and-drop all the saved images into VirtualDub
  • Now continue editing like you were working with the video.
#12 - Jakg
After using the AVI Demux settings suggested, managed to make it do one long file.

Thanks guys

(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG