The online racing simulator
Demolition Derby Event?
(6 posts, started )
Demolition Derby Event?
I've been looking at the community and how it keeps going away further and further as it would seem. Looking at the cruise servers filling up and race servers turning into desolate ghost towns I realized that maybe LFS is more than a racing simulator. Maybe we should start looking at it a a driving simulator. I myself never saw the fun in driving around a race track under something like a yellow flag all day, but I'm not here to judge. I'm here to ask a question and prove a point.

But, if we're going to quit being a racing simulator and start being a driving simulator, shouldn't we do our best to put together some different kinds of driving competitions? After all, competitions are funer than a simple test drive where I am standing.

Having been to a bunch of different motor sports events this summer (Figure 8 Race, Demolition Derby, NASCAR Race, Dirt Track Oval Race), I realized that we're not getting the full effect of racing that a racing simulator could. We're missing a figure 8, a typical oval (not the wide open kind, but the one that you actually have to use the brake peadle), and a dirt oval. I know this isn't an American game, and I LOVE the fact that it's not ovals everywhere, but I think that you could attract a little bit of a crowd with the ovals. I know I got the game after I saw KY1 on LFS remote. Otherwise I wouldn't have S2 at this moment (I'm VERY glad that I do, and it's not because of that oval that I am glad at all).

Point is that there's alot of untapped potential in this game that nobody's willing to look at or try.

Enough of the pointless analization of the state of LFS. Time to get to my point: How well would a Demolition Derby Event be supported?

No, not Bangers. Bangers is not the kind of demolition derby I'm talking about. A true Demolition Derby. The world's shortest car endurance race. Literally a car fight to the death. Last one able to attack his opponents is the winner.

I've watched enough of them in my life to know how to put one on. I know how to administer this kind of event, and I have the server to do it. I'm just not going to take my time to put one on, type up the rules, and waste my time if the community disapproves of it or there isn't enough interest for it.

Also, just so you guys who have never seen a demo derby know.. the arena is rather small compaired to what there is on Carpark in total area. In fact I planned to put this derby on in an arena that is an Acre or a ~ 63x63 Meter Square.

So, I know that ^ is a large block of text just to ask the question "Are you interested in and would you approve of a Demolition Derby event?", but that's all this thread is for.

Edit: Figure 8 Event I am trying to do http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=75854
Most of those ideas have been done before.

Some became popular, some didn't. Some were a week-long rage, some still have their dedicated participants.

LFS is LFS.

Don't try to make it something it's not.
#3 - Racon
Hell yes, schedule permitting

I'm racing in Jon's at the moment (it's called demo derby, but it's bangers by the definitions above) and it's fantastic, but there's plenty of space for a last-car-moving type event too.
An age old argument it is to weather LFS is a racing or driving simulator or game? Well the truth is, and I think its well established by now, lfs is all of the above mentioned. If you use it out of the box, as it is, you have a serious racing simulator, add an insim application and you have a game too. I think the main point is, its flexable, so the argument of what its supposed to be in my mind is void and irrelevent. And I think your right "I'm not here to judge." as it is a case of "what ever floats your boat".

I always have and always will enjoy a little arranged and official destruction, if its what people want to do, give them a place to do it. Afterall, this flexability and variety helps build a better community...

"How well would a Demolition Derby Event be supported?" among those who are into that kind of thing it will get a +1, but there will always be someone who's boat it don't float, don't listen to them, if you don't try, you wont get and thats simply the truth. It has been done and failed, but thats no reason it can't be successful. One thing to take into consideration, with LFS, any contact sports can be an issue when a user has lag, but don't let this put you off the idea

So, yeah, I would actually be intrested, I would also offer a hand if you need. We hold a DD event from time to time, the rules are limited but its good fun, and as Racon mentioned, there is another (which i wasn't aware of) so it may be a good idea to look at these other events so you know what to expect

Btw, we use a patch of grass for our event as it just seems to work better, but im sure at least one person will disagree. Come find me or email me if you would like a hand. psysim@gmail.com
Quote from Racon :I'm racing in Jon's at the moment (it's called demo derby, but it's bangers by the definitions above) and it's fantastic, but there's plenty of space for a last-car-moving type event too.

You should see what Round 6 of my league's about then...

To answer the OP question: the idea of a demolition derby event is a great one. However, the demolition derby sub-culture (or, as it's much better known in LFS, destruction derby) has, in truth, come and gone.

Even before I knew about LFS (which is over 3 years ago now) people had regular banger racing leagues and servers on here on ovals with UF1s which then progressed into racing with XFGs and XRGs and the TBO class. In time though, those leagues and servers became less and less popular overall, and now there's only one dedicated banger racing league with its small but dedicated userbase. The same happened with DD racing on here, although it went a bit differently; when it started getting popular in 2008/2009, there were really only two servers that did DD racing (one of whom I've had certain... "relations" with but don't want to bring that back up) and over time, that dropped to just the one and then that pretty much died (although it did get a rebirth, it hasn't been as popular as it used to be).

I would be happy to help out on one of these events if I'm able to though (and [blatantadvertising]also, check my signature for my DD league if you want to take part in it![/blatantadvertising])

Demolition Derby Event?
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG