The online racing simulator
Running out of gas suggestion
(42 posts, started )
Okay then, in that case it would actually be nice to have some guy telling me I'm running out of gas, just like that little proggy that tells me where my opponents are.
What happens if you need a splash and dash at the end of a long race, but your pitstrategy is set at 100%? Do you just accept 100% and lose the race, or do you accept the menu as the only way to tell the pits you only want 5% this time...
#28 - Vain
1. I never owned a car with a fuel-light, yes I owned multiple cars.
2. This is a sim. Things aren't real and they will never be real. They may be realistic, but not real.
3. Look at the gauge in the dash when you want to know wether the car runs out of gas or not. If you don't want to look at the gauge you'll have to live with this.
4. Did you just say you use pitspotter after telling me it's too unrealistic to have a digital fuelgauge?
5. Sorry if I sound rude, I'm just imitating you.
Relax, I won't bite your head off, so please don't bite my head off, cheers .

Vain
Actually I just used pitstopper once offline for testing and after that never again, but oh well. I'll give up and I'll say you guys are right, it just seems too logical to me to have one of those lights. It just seemed more logical that there was a way it would tell you you're running out of fuel, and when I race online I never have to look at the fuel gauge, because I always start with enough to finish the race, but I was doing time trials and suddenly it stopped. I'll pay more attention to my gauge from now on, it would just come in handy to have it do something when you're running out of fuel.

P.S. I won't bite your head off... my mouth isn't big enough for that j/k
U know, I just thought that it is quite pointless to discuss the how the car behaves under almost no fuel situation. It is doubtful if after 6 months of racing LFS u still run out of fuel during a race...
It's amazing how many people think that they have to calculate the exact amount of fuel needed for the race distance to stay competitive. Of course, running with 100% all the time isn't such a good idea, but calculating the fuel so you pass the finish line with 0.2% left is no different than if you had 5% left.

Usually I take the amount posted on LFS Fuel Control, round it up to whole percent and then multiply with # of laps. Doesn't have any unnecessary fuel load yet has a nice buffer incase you need more fuel due to whatever reasons. If this results in way too much fuel left I can always see how much I can remove after the race, if I absolutely have to.
#32 - Vain
I'm also very conservative about fuel. It's always good to have 3% too much with you. You never know when you have a "right-foot-day" and increase your fuel-usage by 0.2% per lap. And it's also good to not run out of gas directly after finish, so you can still mess around after the race.
The discussion was mainly about the strange running out of gas in LFS and how one could give LFS a more realistic behaviour without using too much CPU-time.

Vain
Using 40% for shorter races should mean that you never run out of fuel. Of course longer races are different but in general aiming for to finish with 0.1% left is bit optimistic. Putting 5 or even 10% more doesn't make the pit stop that much longer and in lap times the difference is barely noticeable or none...
Guys-guys we are getting way off topic. The thread title is "Running out of gas suggestion". Not "Not running out of gas suggestion"
I think its ok like this, cause else you got engine problems, and you have to put more fuel in it, resutling in lower lap times.
lower laptimes means confusion, confusion means extra risk = extra crashes.
so...
or it would be better to have the capability to have 1 or 2 people spectating that u could talk to via a mic and tell them what u want. I don't know how u guys ajust how much Fuel tire preasure and all that while coming into the pits
or it would be better to have 1 or 2 people spectating u could talk to adjust
those things for u.(league races)
don't know how u guys drive and adjust at the same time.
Sorry for digging this old one up, just searching for something else... but!

No one mentioned riding the starter motor all the way back to the pits!? :hyper:
Quote from sgt.flippy :Sorry if I sound rude, but having the suggestion to press F12 is just lame, it's a simulator, so I should be seeing this kind of stuff in my car and not onscreen.

Do you wear a helmet when you race?
Quote from Blowtus :Do you wear a helmet when you race?

No, that's moronic... I use a dfp and that's simulation enough for me in the real world, but inside my computer it could be better. I'm not saying we should get rid of F12, I use it now more than I used to, but still, I always try to race with an empty screen, but at this point you really can't, you always have to check somehow how much fuel you exactly have. I wish the dials in the cars would be more clear, when you use the KPH dials, you can barely read them, or you have to zoom in, wich makes you lose sight of the mirrors, so now I just try to guess how fast I'm going. And for the fuel indicator, I don't even look at it because I know I won't get any wiser out of it.
In real life you can never trust a fuel gauge to be accurate, especially at low levels.

In LFS you can trust it (as it's right), but it's hard to read accurately due to pixels and stuff.

These two points cancel out in my opinion, making the LFS gauge fairly real. BUT we also have the F12 menu for more accurate data. I'm hoping that we get a hardcore mode in which F9 is replaced with visible tyre condition, F10 is replaced with nothing, F11 is replaced with cockpit indicators and keyboard/wheel button shortcuts, and F12 is limited to a few setup choices (to replace pit radio/hand signals/shouting to mechanics in the pits).
Quote from tristancliffe :
These two points cancel out in my opinion, making the LFS gauge fairly real. BUT we also have the F12 menu for more accurate data. I'm hoping that we get a hardcore mode in which F9 is replaced with visible tyre condition, F10 is replaced with nothing, F11 is replaced with cockpit indicators and keyboard/wheel button shortcuts, and F12 is limited to a few setup choices (to replace pit radio/hand signals/shouting to mechanics in the pits).

+1

Bloody good idea Tristan!

Running out of gas suggestion
(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG