The online racing simulator
Question for the computer boffins
(13 posts, started )
#1 - BAMBO
So my computer is running an Intel Core Duo E8400 at 3 GHz, 4 GB RAM (3.25 GB usable), nVidia GeForce GTX295 and Windows 7 32-bit. From what I know, it's still a reasonably powerful setup. What I can't understand is why it's finding so difficult to run a game as low-spec as League of Legends or rFactor. Basically I have to run both games on low settings otherwise the frame rate just drops until it's unplayable when close to other players.
Weird, im running on E8200 (Clocked to 3.2Ghz) and HD4870 and games play fine. Maybe u should check ur PSU, mobo or something like that?
#3 - robt
Got up to date drivers? Checked nothing else is taking all the CPU power in task manager?
When was last time u did a fresh install of Windows? Do u also have loads of crap loading at startup or stuff next to the clock?
#5 - BAMBO
My drivers are up to date. I installed Windows I believe about a year and a half ago if not later. As far as apps running, I wouldn't say that. Just the antivirus, skype, msn, daemon tools and the logitech profiler. But I've turned most of them off to see if I'd get an improvement and I don't.
#6 - robt
and the pc is all cleaned out inside? Just wondering if its performance throttling due to overheating, lower settings=less cpu/gpu strain=less heat
#7 - BAMBO
Quote from robt :and the pc is all cleaned out inside? Just wondering if its performance throttling due to overheating, lower settings=less cpu/gpu strain=less heat

Ironically , I opened it yesterday and it was remarkably clean. I dusted off the light dust the motherboard and the video card were covered in and then put it back together.
#8 - Bean0
The 32bit 4GB memory limit includes both system RAM and graphics RAM, it could be that your poor frame rates are due to the GPU only being allocated a low amount and not caching many textures.
Quote from Bean0 :The 32bit 4GB memory limit includes both system RAM and graphics RAM, it could be that your poor frame rates are due to the GPU only being allocated a low amount and not caching many textures.

I say that it wont affect fps. The textures would just appear as gray or w/e.
Not sure why you would buy Win7 and install the 32-bit version.

There may be something to Bean0's comment, although I am not familiar enough with the peculiarities of how the 4GB limit is handled with regards to both system and graphics RAM to confirm it. Does the 4GB limit actually apply to both memory subsystems combined or are they entirely separate? If they are combined, does graphics RAM get priority over system or vice versa? I don't know.

@hazaky: If the 4GB limit applies to both memory systems combined, and if priority is given to system RAM (both big ifs), then no, textures would not appear gray. The textures that do not fit in graphics memory are stored in system memory or on the hard disk (virtual memory) instead of graphics memory, but they are still displayed. This most certainly does affect framerate negatively any time graphics memory is overloaded.
The 4GB limit is total, including system ram and any graphics ram.
So he could have a 1GB graphics card, but only have maybe 400mb of it useable.

Not enough texture memory was a problem for me when I had my 8800 GTS 320mb...others with the 640mb version could run a lot higher settings in newer games.
It favours graphics RAM, so if you have 4GB system RAM and a 1GB graphics card, you'd still have the full memory of the card but only 3GB usable system memory.
Sorry for being so anal, but it's just the framebuffer that's mapped as a memory accesible to CPU. Its size usually doesn't exceed 256 MB.
GPU has always access to the whole VRAM no matter what.

@BAMBO:
How is the CPU load when you play? Have you tried running any synthetic benchmarks like 3D Mark and compare the results with other similar machines? Is the CPU heatsink seated properly? Even if it's not apparently clogged with dust, it might be a good idea to remove it, give it a good clean, apply some new thermal grease and properly attach it again.

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG