The online racing simulator
Diesel Power !
(35 posts, started )
Quote from PoVo :Not our fault you stand behind the car all the time

Try driving behind a Diesel Bus for a couple of minutes. On a moped. Your nose will not feel good after that.
Quote from Stefani24 :Try driving behind a Diesel Bus for a couple of minutes. On a moped. Your nose will not feel good after that.

I'm often drafting buses on a bicycle. Took a while to get used to that smell, but all ok now
Quote from KiRmelius :
Anyway, petrol smells nicer.

Ethanol is best. Quote from someone who followed me home: "When you first take off, it smells like Rum and after it warms up it smells like Smirnoff"

I run Ethanol in my 944 as the crap petrol from the pump causes detonation. They don't make the stuff like they used to.
If you smell ethanol when driving, I'm pretty sure that means it's burning very inefficiently Running rich? I don't have a lot of experience with it, perhaps it has to run rich?

I mean, optimally it would completely combust to pure water and CO2.
Did you mod inside the engine? (guess so, otherwise it wouldn't detonate) . When using ethanol A/F ratio needs to be adjusted, otherwise it'll run lean and inevitably damage the engine, but i hope you know that. Have you tried any octane boosting fuel additives?
Quote from KiRmelius :Did you mod inside the engine? (guess so, otherwise it wouldn't detonate) . When using ethanol A/F ratio needs to be adjusted, otherwise it'll run lean and inevitably damage the engine, but i hope you know that. Have you tried any octane boosting fuel additives?

I had to mill the head due to corrosion on a engine that already started at 11:1. You forgot to mention that you have to also advance ignition timing because the ethanol burns a lot slower.
Fuel additives do not work.

When you are running flat out with injectors that are maxed into a system that fires all 4 injectors at the same time, that normally was not designed for use at 7800rpm it ends up smelling like burning alcohol.
I am happy with ethanol, no more detonation, tons more power, the smell does not give me a migraine (Hatch seal leaks and the fumes suck in every once in a while), and I still get 24mpg.

Back on topic....
I have been looking into getting a Mercedes diesel wagon for a very long time but I do not want an automatic. What do they use to do a manual swap on a W123 300TD? I found one for sale for $900 that will not stay running (Injector related) and am considering it if I can put a manual in it.
My diesel truck is a 5-speed manual hooked to a 6.5L turbo diesel (worst injection system I have ever seen). Running a biodiesel blend.
Ethanol's best advantage is price

And are manual w123's that rare in your country? There are plenty of them in Lithuania, just they are expensive.

Diesel Power !
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG