The online racing simulator
What to upgrade?
(93 posts, started )
#27 - Jakg
Quote from dadge :see post 21.

See my old £80 Asus board killed by a "Qtec" 500w PSU.

I bought a Hiper (nothing high-end I will admit) 580w Type-M (i.e. budget) PSU & a new board back in 2006.

I used that Hiper PSU for several years (and abused it powering my 8800GTX). I gave it a break and bought an FSP 700w which died, and recently went back abusing it even more - sure, it whined a bit, but it never let me down - in fact I only recently replaced it.

When I bought the Qtec, I thought I was "saving" £30... but it cost me a new PSU & board anyway. And I highly doubt it would of lasted the 5 years mine did (and it still lives!), through all the upgrades etc.

What i'm trying to say is that a decent PSU is an investment...
and what i was saying was that if something's going to fail, it doesn't matter what brand it is. it's still going to fail.
um, @all of you guys telling him to upgrade graphics..

His two 8800GT's in SLI beat 460 hands down, and 470 if his 8800's are OCed.
Quote from dadge :Er dude, seriously. No. duel core cpu's can do the new stuff too. I have yet to play a game that my AMD Phenom 550 cannot cope with.

Phenom II per-MHz is faster than Core2.
Quote from E.Reiljans : um, @all of you guys telling him to upgrade graphics..

His two 8800GT's in SLI beat 460 hands down, and 470 if his 8800's are OCed.

are the 8800's DX11 compatible? can you show me some benchmark results to back this big claim up? http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
Quote from E.Reiljans : Phenom II per-MHz is faster than Core2.

who gives a shit?

that wasn't the point you were making. you said "Er, guys, no. Dual core CPU for gaming in 2011 = fail." the duel core processors still cope with the new game quite fine. which was in response to what you were saying.
Well then it seems after doing abit of research people do say that there isnt much of an increase from 8800GT's in SLI vs a single GTX460

I wouldn't mind getting a Intel q9550 but they are damn expensive now lol

Otherwise it would mean I would have to buy a new motherboard, CPU and ram as they most likely wont accept DDR2?
Quote from dadge :are the 8800's DX11 compatible? can you show me some benchmark results to back this big claim up? http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.htmlwho gives a shit?

No, it's not, but DirectX support doesn't affects GPU performance.
Quote from dadge :that wasn't the point you were making. you said "Er, guys, no. Dual core CPU for gaming in 2011 = fail." the duel core processors still cope with the new game quite fine. which was in response to what you were saying.

I want to see your system play Crysis maxed out. I want to.
Quote from lukelfs :Otherwise it would mean I would have to buy a new motherboard, CPU and ram as they most likely wont accept DDR2?

4 GB of DDR3 costs $30 nowadays, that's nothing compared to prices of modern CPUs (2600K = $300, 2500K = $225, 1100T = $190, 1090T = $180).
Also, Core2Quad's are beaten easily by all Phenom II's, while Phenom II's are cheaper and OC better.
Quote from E.Reiljans :No, it's not, but DirectX support doesn't affects GPU performance.I want to see your system play Crysis maxed out. I want to.4 GB of DDR3 costs $30 nowadays, that's nothing compared to prices of modern CPUs (2600K = $300, 2500K = $225, 1100T = $190, 1090T = $180).
Also, Core2Quad's are beaten easily by all Phenom II's, while Phenom II's are cheaper and OC better.

i had an e8400 at stock speed and a HD5770 and it played crysis maxed out just fine
you'll find that with him m8. rather than just say "ok, i over exaggerated to get my point across" he'll just pipe on until the point has been lost completely. the point he originally made was that duel core systems = fail in a 2011 gaming world. my point was that i play 2011 games with a duel core. so rather than pull info out of my arse, i just relayed info from my current experience.

Quote from E.Reiljans :I want to see your system play Crysis maxed out.

no need to:

CPU
Recommended: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz/Athlon X2 4400+ or better
You Have: AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 550 Processor
PASS

CPU Speed
You Have: 3.1 GHz

RAM
Recommended: 2 GB
You Have: 8.0 GB
PASS

OS
Recommended: Windows XP/Vista/7
You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
PASS

Video Card
Recommended: Supported chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS with 640MB RAM or similar.
You Have: GeForce GTX 470
PASS
Features: Recommended attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Video RAM 640 MB 4.0 GB
3D Yes Yes
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 3.0 5.0
Vertex Shader version 3.0 5.0

DirectX version
Recommended: 9.0c (included)
You Have: 11.0
PASS

Sound Card
Recommended: Yes
You Have: ASUS Xonar DS Audio Device
PASS

Free Disk Space
Recommended: 12 GB
You Have: 222.6 GB
PASS

DVD-ROM
Recommended: 8X speed DVD-ROM. This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some DVD-ROM, DVD-RW and virtual drives.
You Have: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS15 ATA Device
PASS

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/analysis.aspx
oh i now know why my system will play Crysis. it was released nearly 4 years ago!! duel core systems weren't fail back then oh and while we're t it, did you have any luck finding that info to say that 2 8800's are better than one 460? dirt 3 looks really nice on dx11.....
Quote from dadge :you'll find that with him m8. rather than just say "ok, i over exaggerated to get my point across" he'll just pipe on until the point has been lost completely. the point he originally made was that duel core systems = fail in a 2011 gaming world. my point was that i play 2011 games with a duel core. so rather than pull info out of my arse, i just relayed info from my current experience.

no need to:

CPU
You Have: AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 550 Processor
PASS

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/analysis.aspx
oh i now know why my system will play Crysis. it was released nearly 4 years ago!! duel core systems weren't fail back then oh and while we're t it, did you have any luck finding that info to say that 2 8800's are better than one 460? dirt 3 looks really nice on dx11.....

So have you unlocked your CPU to quad core??

I have this motherboard availiable for use?
no, i have a 770 chipset. to unlock the cores, you need a 780 or better. the revision 2 of my board is a 780 but unfortunately, i have a rev 1. but my next upgrade is a motherboard for that purpose alone. but right now, i have no need for the other 2 cores and so no need to upgrade.
Err.

In the "Can you run it", there's "Recommended: Supported chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS with 640MB RAM or similar." This card can't run Crysis well even on High, let alone on Ultra. So I guess all other 'recommended' specs are full of bullshit as well.
Quote from E.Reiljans :Err.

In the "Can you run it", there's "Recommended: Supported chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS with 640MB RAM or similar." This card can't run Crysis well even on High, let alone on Ultra. So I guess all other 'recommended' specs are full of bullshit as well.

yeah, because you said so. move on buddy. you gave shit advice. end of.
@ Jack, nothing wrong with Hiper psu's. They are good quality & reliable.
Luke if your looking to sell your e8400 i'd be interested.
Quote from anttt69 :@ Jack, nothing wrong with Hiper psu's. They are good quality & reliable.
Luke if your looking to sell your e8400 i'd be interested.

Mm I might sell it, how much would you be offering? Would you want the Motherboard and RAM too?
Quote from E.Reiljans :No, because that's the fact

Quote from dadge : move on buddy. you gave shit advice. end of.

did you find that comparison chart to show that 2 8800's is better than a GTX560? i'd be interested in seeing this. or was that just another fact you pulled out of thin air?
Also, getting back to your original point, could you explain or show how a duel core system in 2011 is fail? again, i'd be really interested in reading why my system can't play games released in 2011...
Quote from dadge :
did you find that comparison chart to show that 2 8800's is better than a GTX560? i'd be interested in seeing this. or was that just another fact you pulled out of thin air?

See 3DMark GPU score for two 8800's, see 3DMark GPU score for GTX 560, shit bricks.
Quote from dadge :Also, getting back to your original point, could you explain or show how a duel core system in 2011 is fail? again, i'd be really interested in reading why my system can't play games released in 2011...

I'd be really interested if you could show me a video of your system playing Crysis (released in 2007) or GTA IV (released in 2008) maxed out.
Quote from E.Reiljans :See 3DMark GPU score for two 8800's, see 3DMark GPU score for GTX 560, shit bricks.

so is that a yes or a no on the comparison sheets?
Quote from E.Reiljans :.I'd be really interested if you could show me a video of your system playing Crysis (released in 2007) or GTA IV (released in 2008) maxed out.

deflect much? once you show me that duel core processors are fail in 2011, and i'll show you my pc blitzing the GTA IV (and expansions) Benchmarks on max settings. (for the record, i don't overclock my pc so all benchmarks are on stock clocks)

EDIT: Just so you know, i was playing GTA IV with a single 8800GT a few years back, so i think my GTX470 is going to cope quite fine. just like it has every time i've played GTA IV and ARMA 2 and Dirt3 (DX11) and Batman, and mafia2, and TDU2....
the moral of this story? giving advice is fine as long as it's accurate and to the point. pulling facts out of your arse helps nobody in the long run. and it makes you look like a gobshite (again).
Quote from dadge :so is that a yes or a no on the comparison sheets?

If I'd say "yes" or "no", you'd say "yeah, because you said so". Therefore waste 17 seconds of your life finding them yourself.
Quote from dadge :once you show me that duel core processors are fail in 2011, and i'll show you my pc blitzing the GTA IV (and expansions) Benchmarks on max settings. (for the record, i don't overclock my pc so all benchmarks are on stock clocks)

Um.. who said anything about BENCHMARKS?
In GTA IV/TBoGT benchmarks, fps is around 2x higher than in real playing scenarious.
A good proof of dual core processor being fail in 2011 is the fact that you can't show me a video of you driving a taxi thru Times Square at 23:00 of rainy day, with cops following you in a 6-star pursuit (obviously all settings maxed out). Cause, with a framerate that a dual-core can achieve, you'll get caught way before you'll even reach 6-star chase level
you're still deflecting.
Quote from E.Reiljans : If I'd say "yes" or "no", you'd say "yeah, because you said so". Therefore waste 17 seconds of your life finding them yourself.Um..

no, you're over-thinking it. just get the comparison sheets and put me in my place. are you really that thick?

Quote from E.Reiljans : who said anything about BENCHMARKS?

I did, i've been talking about them the whole conversation.
Quote from E.Reiljans :
In GTA IV/TBoGT benchmarks, fps is around 2x higher than in real playing scenarious.
A good proof of dual core processor being fail in 2011 is the fact that you can't show me a video of you driving a taxi thru Times Square at 23:00 of rainy day, with cops following you in a 6-star pursuit (obviously all settings maxed out).

that's quite a specific request. would you like me to be in a gimp suit or my leather mankini while capturing this home movie?
Quote from E.Reiljans : Cause, with a framerate that a dual-core can achieve, you'll get caught way before you'll even reach 6-star chase level

again, that fact smells of ass.
Quote from dadge :I did, i've been talking about them the whole conversation. that's quite a specific request. would you like me to be in a gimp suit or my leather mankini while capturing this home movie?again, that fact smells of ass.

So um, are you planning to watch benchmarks instead of playing a game?

Also, I LOVE how you evade from making a vid with you doing that. Probably waiting for your board which can unlock extra 2 cores to arrive, eh, Mr. Bullcrap?
still doing it....
Just get the effin comparison sheet already. i don't need to watch benchmarks m8, it's automatic, it could go for a shit or make a coffee. or both. it's strange how you're now accusing me of deflecting...

What to upgrade?
(93 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG