The online racing simulator
Driving Problems
(12 posts, started )
Driving Problems
Begginer to LFS

Basically ive been cruising in the WKD Sever but my problem is i can never seem to keep my car under control?

Is this due to me being new to LFS,meaning i dont know how to control properly yet or is it just me being a bad driver?
Hi there, can you explain a bit more on what you meant? Are you talking about high powered (or mostly rear wheel drived) cars loosing the back-end and spinning or constantly running off the track or ...?

At first there is a slight learning curve where you just need to familiarize yourself with the controls and how the car reacts to your input, but you should usually get a feel for it pretty soon.

Are you having trouble with a particular car? For example, can you drive the XFG without any issues?

You could also post a replay of your driving (when you're having trouble) and post it here (as a forum post attachment) so someone could have look and tell you if something is not quite right...

Its probably due to being new to it all; should be alright after a few 100 miles *fingers crossed*.

well i think i was driving the LX6(i think its called) and whenever i went round a corner to quick it flung me off the track.

But the thing is i was racing this one guy,we were going around the same speed in the same car ,i went round the corner first and flew off,then he when round asif he's tires were glued to the floor going the same speed i was,isit something to do with FFB? isit my Car setup(its default but whatever)

Seriously its not fun wacking into the wall when your winning a race...
The thing you need to know about LFS is the cars do handle differently and behave differently depending on how you drive them. This isn't Need for Speed.

You mentioned you went sliding off and he didn't. His tyres may have been at an optimum temperature. Pressing F9 on your keyboard will display the temperatures for each wheel. Blue is cold, Green is Optimum, Red is hot. The thin band at the top of the wheel is the surface temperature. The thick block of colour is the actual tyre temperature.

Keeping it in the green will give you the best grip. You start losing grip if you go beyond green.

The LX6 is a notoriously difficult car to master. Simply because it is so twitchy. The reason it flings you off the track is because, you put too much lock going into the turn, the back stepped out, you then went to counter steer it. And (I'm assuming) lifted off the throttle. This meant the rear wheels stopped sliding, and you then started turning in the direction of your wheels. (i.e, into the wall)

I would suggest getting a few setups for each car.

http://setupgrid.net/

You'll see on the left, Download All Setups. Just extract all of those into your LFS>Data>Setups folder. You'll see a few in there already. You'll need to tweak one or two of them. As some of the XFR sets are designed for qualifying. So will have a tyre that has a lower optimum temperature. Find a set you like. If you want to edit it a little to suit your cruising needs then you can always do that.

I have no idea what the optimum FFB settings are. I drive Keyboard, always have, seem to get on alright.

You'll eventually get the hang of it.
Wow Thanks,i never knew about the tire temperture thing,and thanks for the setups! there helping alot so far
Quote from terahh :Wow Thanks,i never knew about the tire temperture thing,and thanks for the setups! there helping alot so far

No worries.

I'd recommend [TC] instead of WKD. But don't tell anyone I said that.
haha why?
Quote from terahh :haha why?

I don't know. Guess I've just got used to the people that are on there. Friendly, most of the time.
What input device are you using? If you aren't using a FFB Wheel you are missing alot!
i am using a FFB Wheel,im using a DFGT because im poor and cant afford a G27
LX6 is one of the harder cars to control in LFS, might I suggest practicing with something a little bit easier to control first? Like the XRT or if you're feeling confident LX6s younger brother LX4? And remember, take it easy at first, once you get used to the car and the track, floor it.
Quote from terahh :well i think i was driving the LX6(i think its called) and whenever i went round a corner to quick it flung me off the track.

But the thing is i was racing this one guy,we were going around the same speed in the same car ,i went round the corner first and flew off,then he when round asif he's tires were glued to the floor going the same speed i was,isit something to do with FFB? isit my Car setup(its default but whatever)

First of all, don't start your LFS experience with LX6, because it's one of the most difficult to drive, along with FO8 (RAC too, perhaps).

LFS has one of the best (if not THE best) physics of all current racing simulations, which means it simulates the loss of grip as close to RL. Better start with FWD like XFG or 4WD like RB4 and learn how LFS feels to play. If you are interested in single sitters, you could try FBM first... then gradually work your way through the stronger cars, more difficult to drive.

And do use the link to setupgrid that azasmith14 gave you... also, ask other racers to give you their sets when you are online, as most of them would share.

Good luck!

Driving Problems
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG