The online racing simulator
Future UK LFS Meets
(48 posts, started )

Poll : What month would be best for you to hold the UK LFS meeting?

Closed since :
August
September
July
June
April
October
January
May
December
February
March
November
Quote from t1ger :I agree that it needs to stay on a racing theme, but how about we hire a big hall and have a "lan party" style meet running LFS.

This idea doesn't really interest me as we race online so much anyway we may as well just go down the pub and forget about the hassle of bringing our own PCs to do what we do from the comfort of our living rooms. Although this idea could possibly work if the devs came along with a new patch or treat (or S3) for us to have the first try of
Quote from Clownpaint :1 Word, hassle. I would not bring my PC down to an event.

I personally think this started as karting and should stay that way, if you want to organize LFS hopscotch competitions or pie eating contests it should be a seperate event, not replacing this one.

The hassle is a fair point! However, a pie eating contest is not keeping with the racing theme

Quote from ajp71 : This idea doesn't really interest me as we race online so much anyway we may as well just go down the pub and forget about the hassle of bringing our own PCs to do what we do from the comfort of our living rooms.

Another good point and well made!

Quote from ajp71 :Although this idea could possibly work if the devs came along with a new patch or treat (or S3) for us to have the first try of

This would be the ultimate event - this would make people want to come and override the hassle factor! I guess this could not turn into an annual event in this case, more of a "S2 Final Release" day!

Hmmmm... things to ponder... thanks for your replies guys.

Tim
I would be happy and interested in arranging a LAN Festival for the launch of S2 0.6.

Players, devs and journalists could be invited to attend, and hopefully it would spread the word not just of LFS but sim-racing communities in general, as well as being rather spiffing for us lot there too
#29 - Smax
I actually thought that the idea of a gaming community meeting which was not for the purpose of playing the game that binds them all together was great and original.

All the other FPS clans I've been involved with have suggested/held meetings and they've all been LAN parties. I wouldn't dismiss an LFS LAN event out of hand, but to be quite honest my first reaction was Oh bore off...let's do something that at least involves visiting "teh outside"

As for when, well I'm pretty much freelancing atm, that might change, and it might not, short answer is I don't have a crystal ball either, if I can make the next one after letting folk down this time I will.
Quote from tristancliffe :I would be happy and interested in arranging a LAN Festival for the launch of S2 0.6.

Players, devs and journalists could be invited to attend, and hopefully it would spread the word not just of LFS but sim-racing communities in general, as well as being rather spiffing for us lot there too

Yeah, I've still got this Stoneleigh Park brochure sitting around. We'll have to sort that out when we meet up again.
Quote from Bob Smith :Yeah, I've still got this Stoneleigh Park brochure sitting around. We'll have to sort that out when we meet up again.

You took my cookies but didn't give me the brochure damn you. Sometimes you really take the biscuit.
Quote from tristancliffe :I would be happy and interested in arranging a LAN Festival for the launch of S2 0.6.

Keep your eyes on ESL UK, thats what is planned, twice a year and also maybe Intel Friday Night Lan Finals
Bob, where abouts is Stoneleigh situated?

I'd attended a LAN party, even if I wasn't racing. The more LFS social events the better!
Guys, I've just been told about a place in Nottingham.

http://www.lkqc.com/

Seems ok, and offers other things from Karting too!
Sorry Tristan, I blame Mr. Red Flag for wanting to leave early and then getting us stuck in London traffic for 2.5 hours....

Quote from Chris_Kerry :Bob, where abouts is Stoneleigh situated?

Erm, pretty central. Let me check the brochure, since it's sitting on my speaker here....

/me fumbles around

Aha, just south of Coventry. CV8 2LZ. Not too far from Whilton Mill really.

I've been there before, they hold the national kit car show there I think (or at least one fecking huge one). Obviously we'd only need one small indoor room, rather than entire hundred plus acre site. Plenty of room for car parking, even if we all bring 500 cars. With the 2005 price list, it's about £600 for the smallest room, which would probably be enough enless we get a mega turnout. So obviously it's not something that could be planned lightly. Add £90 booking fee, electricity for the day, etc.... you'd need a good turn out to make it cheap enough. Then of course, what do you do in the room....

Edit: your link would probably be better, don't have to organise what to do so much. But if we wanted mass LANing with prize giving or something, it could be useful.
/me starts saving up
Quote from Bob Smith :Sorry Tristan, I blame Mr. Red Flag for wanting to leave early and then getting us stuck in London traffic for 2.5 hours....

ah yes, the brilliant idea of "breakfast in the hotel is too expensive so lets go to london to eat! then lets drive through the center of london to go home because it must be quicker"

next time, im driving...
Hey, at least the high speed driving kept us cool. For £350 that Mondeo is cheap thrills.

Next time, with any luck I'll be driving.
Quote from Bob Smith :Hey, at least the high speed driving kept us cool. For £350 that Mondeo is cheap thrills.

Next time, with any luck I'll be driving.

With any luck ill be driving too

Next time ill get there.. I like the look of that place with everything.. WOuld be good to try and organise a Weekend although i know for some that would be hard. A weekend could have Karting day 1. Paintball day 2. which would be great (lets not forget pubs...)
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
/me gets the sausages, eggs and bacon ready, and puts stove on standby

Edit: @Bogey below - I suspect you'll get more arse pains from paintballing and karting than a little LAN event

^^^ saving posts
Bladey made me breakfast at his house

Do I win?

Back on topic: I think a LFS weekender is quite a good idea. Would maybe be best if arranged around a bank holiday weekend or such.

I personally would prefer activities rather than LAN party stuff. IMO a LAN party would take up the whole weekend in terms of setting up and co-ordinating, where as going to paintball and karting or whatever are more straightforward and less likely to be a pain in the ass.
Bogey, Knock Hill karts are ok but they go like sh!t off a shuvvel, takes ages for them to go and they are like lawnmowers lol.

Hows about moving the event up a bit, Scene as Bogey doesn't run a taxi service we couldn't come down, so bring it up a bit.

Nah I might go one year but money isn't my strong point just now, also need some decent forms of transport.

I heard someone talking about night life, I know a guy who works in Newcastle and he says the place is great for nightlife and such, if they had a karting track would there be considered?
Lol, We drove to Manchester airport once for a holiday, NEVER AGAIN! I slept some of the way to but it still sucked.

I'm sure if I had the exyta cash I would fly down one year, but i'm not like half of you rich folkers, im pour!

Would be cool to get some of zee Germans over, a couple of Aussies would do to, or am I getting ahead of myself.
Seeing as I'm moving to Newcastle again in September, no problems for me! But the town is probably less good for sober activities. I'll have a nose.
theres a track near edinborough called RaceLand, indoor and outdoor circuit.
if i had it my way we would all go up there but its too far for any foreign people/welsh/most people to travel. Great track tho, cheap too.

I think we need a central event, somewhere near Leister of however u spell it

August it is then.
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :theres a track near edinborough called RaceLand, indoor and outdoor circuit.
if i had it my way we would all go up there but its too far for any foreign people/welsh/most people to travel. Great track tho, cheap too.

I think we need a central event, somewhere near Leister of however u spell it

August it is then.

TBH, for people coming from abroad I think where it is held is a moot point unless they are driving like me. I even considered getting a cheap flight/train, and I would think that people from europe would most likely do the same.

Sure it is always easier to get to 'central' England (read near London), but somewhere completely different really wouldn't be hard or make much of a difference for those who are already making a large journey. For instance, I would even consider going to a European event if it was big enough and well organised.
And the more people have to travel, the more likely they will need a hotel in the evening... which means evening drinking.
-
Quote from thisnameistaken :If we're expecting European visitors, wouldn't it be polite to pick a venue near a major international airport? Manchester seems like the best fit, given that it's quite central.

Agreed.

And what if the Europeans organise an event? TBH I don't see why not, hopping on a plane/ferry/train isnt too bad and beats driving everywhere. As long as it is near a transport hub like you say. Even if a van(s) was hired for the weekend etc etc.
-

Future UK LFS Meets
(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG