The online racing simulator
iPod Heads-Up-Display?
(13 posts, started )
iPod Heads-Up-Display?
I'm new to forums, so forgive me for any etiquette infringements:doh:
So, I wanted to make a HUD for my makeshift racing cockpit. I currently use the G27, and Saitek X52 as a handbrake. I was thinking maybe I could use the display on the X52, or even better, my ipod touch or iphone - anyone have any idea how i could do this? My 2nd gen ipod touch is jailbroken with gen 2 software.

Thanks, and happy cruising
schirmerc/Christian/Der Kartoffelmeister
#2 - CSU1
Quote from schirmerc :I'm new to forums, so forgive me for any etiquette infringements:doh:
So, I wanted to make a HUD for my makeshift racing cockpit. I currently use the G27, and Saitek X52 as a handbrake. I was thinking maybe I could use the display on the X52, or even better, my ipod touch or iphone - anyone have any idea how i could do this? My 2nd gen ipod touch is jailbroken with gen 2 software.

Thanks, and happy cruising
schirmerc/Christian/Der Kartoffelmeister

meh ~no.

Think about it, any HUD implementing touch-screen-tech. for fav. binds requires driver to momentarily "look" at the peripheral to make a selection...dunno about you but theres been times when I've used moisture from my armpits to lube my eyelids rather that risk blinking.

All controls must be a.within hands reach b. ergonomically functional.

Don't worry about your wheel setup, set what all settings to what feels good to you and ------ practice

also, I find that handbrake is best used with the shifter set in seq and use gear down as bind.
sorry if i wasn't clear - i was thinking more of something to display data such as speed, revs, or boost. I saw this thread : http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=7334 and wondered if that could be implemented to send data to an ipod or iphone. An app would have to be coded; perhaps something that could be done? I know java, but it doesnt really help because I don't have a mac
Something like this?

---

Quote :theres been times when I've used moisture from my armpits to lube my eyelids rather that risk blinking

there is an app for android phones (called LFS dashboard) that displays a speedo ,rpm, fuel, tire temp, and other stuff. works great on my htc evo 4g, someone should be able to make one for the iphone
That's all there is, AFAIK. Best would be post in that thread; Gregry1992 is the one who's working on a LFS app for Apple products (Dunno if anyone is working on anything else though).

Also,
Quote from Gegry1992 :Please People!
Write what iDevice have!
And i make for that!

If you've got an Android phone (2.2 or higher, I think) you can use the LFS Dashboard (found in the Market).
nope, I have an iphone 4 and an iTouch 2 ~ maybe I can use outage and try to code an app on my dads mac... never coded an app before, but how difficult could it be? *knock on wood*
Keep us updated! Good luck!
Wait - now I have to pay $100 for Xcode? What happened to the free iPhone SDK? This may have come to a dead end... Any ideas on how I can code an app without having to pay for xcode or anything like that? my 2nd gen touch is jailbroken with iOS2 if that helps

Edit: How about a "web app"? idk if i can code html5 tho
If you get some type of external monitor app, you can use either the first link, or Virtual LFS Dashboard
Quote from schirmerc :Wait - now I have to pay $100 for Xcode? What happened to the free iPhone SDK? This may have come to a dead end... Any ideas on how I can code an app without having to pay for xcode or anything like that? my 2nd gen touch is jailbroken with iOS2 if that helps
Edit: How about a "web app"? idk if i can code html5 tho

I suppose you could use WebSockets and a couple of new JavaScript features to make something like this; Dygear dropped some useful info about about these in LFS Proggramer thread. It wouldn't work on your iPod Touch though as the Safari in iPhone OS doesn't have any useful (if any at all for that matter) HTML5 support.

iPod Heads-Up-Display?
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG