Happy Independence Day!
(69 posts, started )
#1 - Phill
Happy Independence Day!
Fellow americans.. i wish you an happy Independence Day!

(bit early i know! :P its 1:47am here in LA.. couldn't sleep and wanted to be the first to post this!)
Well, I'm not American.....but Happy Independence Day to you yanks

Just out of curiosity, what traditions are held on this day, i.e. specific fancy meals? (Yes I am hungry)

I know what its about, just not what you do! Time to check Wikipedia....

edit: Well it mentions BBQs, so I would love to join in
Prehaps you should let some other countries have thier independance back. Then the celebration would mean all the more.
Just for once can we NOT turn this into an anti-American thread. It seems that anytime anyone mentions America they get on the good-old bandwagon and start abusing them.

This celebration is for the heritage of America and is celebrated by US citizens who have no real say about world affairs.
Where are the aliens and Will Smith?
Quote from mrbogeyman :Just for once can we NOT turn this into an anti-American thread. It seems that anytime anyone mentions America they get on the good-old bandwagon and start abusing them.

This celebration is for the heritage of America and is celebrated by US citizens who have no real say about world affairs.

+1
The American people themselves should not be criticised for wanting to celebrate the fact that they are an independant nation, instead it should be the US Government that should take the criticism for invading Afghanistan and Iraq, which is something the average citizen had no say in whatsoever. I am sure the Americans on this forum will be feeling exactly the same way I am about this.

To the Americans: Happy 4th July! Well done for kicking our arses out of your country all those years ago ;-)
Celebrating the fact that our country was taken away from us? I find that insulting!!

If not hypocritical.

(I know, I know. It was an innocent July the 4th comment. But on an international forum it's bound to stir some sentiment anti or pro. He's celebrating, I'm offering an alternative view point. And before any one beats me for being anti american I am this very day going to meet my good american buddy whos come all the way from Virginia just to see me and we will discuss the anglo-american V the world standing till the cows come home and still walk away as friends.)

Edit - And I know that as a brit I can also be labelled as being hypocritical. But I will be the first to blast Blair and out foriegn policy atm too.
Happy independence day for you Americans.

But should this not be in the offtopic?
Quote from Funnybear :Celebrating the fact that our country was taken away from us? I find that insulting!!

Are you saying that the Americans didn't deserve to have their own country to live in? Times have changed since the British Empire was at its peak. The majority of Brits do not care HOW the USA gained independence, they only care that the people RUNNING that country at the moment are (if anything) destabilising entire regions of the world. As I stated before, this should not be pointed at the average American

The American's are as entitled to their Independence Day as we are entitled to celebrate St George's Day, St Patrick's Day etc. Please do not let anti-American feeling retract from the fact that many Americans are much more patriotic than any of us Brits will EVER be.
#10 - Vain
Firstly, I would like to suggest to stop leading a conversation if you don't want the conversation to go on. That would be very kind of you.

Secondly, I wish you over there a nice day.

Vain
If they where truly patriotic they would care more about what their government was up too and who they voted for.

Sorry, thats not fair.

But you can't really compare celebrating an independance day which is known throughout the world to celebrating a saints day. It's kinda like me taking your computer then letting you watch while I play your favorite game. Way back when Americans where insurgents, they where terrorists, tehy where gurillas. The difference is, they won. (With the help of the French.) Imagine being in Baghdad being a Sunni Muslim watching American soldiers flying thier flags high and listening to their celebrations of independance. Clapping each other on the back and going yeehaww. If I was the Sunni Mulsim, I would would be getting a bit frustrated and a bit hot under the collar.

Edit - And I appologise for hijacking an innocent thread. I shall comment no more.
Quote from spankmeyer :Where are the aliens and Will Smith?

HAHAHA
im going to america in two days..staying there for 3 weeks and travelling in america more than most of americans in their life i hope you understanded my sentence
Quote from Funnybear :Celebrating the fact that our country was taken away from us? I find that insulting!!

It wasn't your country! It was OURS! We bought Manhattan from the Natives. Then we killed those savages, invented Wall Street and Broadway, brought in shiploads of slaves from Africa, and ...

Quote from Eleanor SpeedGT :im going to america in two days..staying there for 3 weeks and travelling in america more than most of americans in their life i hope you understanded my sentence

You been sentenced to staying 3 weeks in the US?
(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Happy independence day!
Quote from wsinda :It wasn't your country! It was OURS! We bought Manhattan from the Natives. Then we killed those savages, invented Wall Street and Broadway, brought in shiploads of slaves from Africa, and ...

Quote from The Funny Bear himself :Prehaps you should let some other countries have thier independance back. Then the celebration would mean all the more.

:hbomb:
theres only one nation that comes here and celebrates its local holiday days as if everyone else shared the same culture.

pathetic, like their president.

ethnocentrism and colonial games in this day and age? how retarded is the self proclaimed most advanced nation of this world.
grab a mirror and some un-brainwashed head to look at the reflection and spare us.

want more patience? stop crushing the rest of the world feet and hearts.
Mods really need to be faster to jump on threads like this - it's a disaster waiting to happen .
#18 - Gunn
Quote from bahrain :Mods really need to be faster to jump on threads like this - it's a disaster waiting to happen .

Until it happens, it's no disaster.
hehe, today they have 25 cent hamburgers in town. Any1 have fireworks like my town?
Congratulations!

I just hate when people come complaining and hijacking threads... Kid, whats the problem with the guy celebrating here? He has fellow amercan friends here, and THAT'S the point.

If the brazilians only used this forum, I would be the first to start a thread celebrating our independence day!

Again, congratulations for the american people. They would not be where they are today if the weren't EXTREMELY competent.

[ ]'s
happy independence day over there, you americans.

but by the way: the fact that the americans re-elected george w. bush AFTER he attacked Afghanistan and Iraq shows how the "average american" thinks about this topic IMO.
Quote from Rappa Z :hehe, today they have 25 cent hamburgers in town. Any1 have fireworks like my town?

Yeah, just what the population of the US of A needs, more burgers LMAO

Dan,
#23 - joen
Quote from wsinda :It wasn't your country! It was OURS! We bought Manhattan from the Natives. Then we killed those savages, invented Wall Street and Broadway, brought in shiploads of slaves from Africa, and ...

Didn't we eventually trade New York/Nieuw Amsterdam for Suriname later on?
the Dutch illepall

Anyway happy Independence Day to the Americans
Quote from Falkowski83 :
If the brazilians only used this forum, I would be the first to start a thread celebrating our independence day!

Yeah but this forum isn´t used only by americans. There is almost 200 (yes, there is more than just Canada and Mexico ) different countries in the world. Should each of them start a thread about their independance day? I think not.
Quote from Kalev EST :Yeah but this forum isn´t used only by americans. There is almost 200 (yes, there is more than just Canada and Mexico ) different countries in the world. Should each of them start a thread about their independance day? I think not.

I think yes.

As a multicultural forum, we should accept different cultures, and celebrations from this cultures. And this is exactly what is happening here.

So, congratulations again american citizens.

[ ]'s

Happy Independence Day!
(69 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG