The online racing simulator
Mechanic Program In Game
(22 posts, started )

Poll : Mechanics ? Yay, Neigh Or Maaaaay (be)

neigh
yay
maaay (be)
A Proper Repair Program << IN GAME !!!! >>
My week at Work Experiecne made me think of this....

I know this is probably VERY difficult, and even if possible wont be out until AT LEAST S3. if at all...
For instance, if you crash and say, break a wheel, you pit, and then click on a button which takes you to a workshop. In this workshop you have tools, like airguns and ratchets, spanners and the like, and you have to use the mouse and buttons in some way to undo the wheel nuts, and change the wheel, and then do the wheel nuts back up.
If you dont keep bits on hand, you may lose some bolts for example, and while the car when done may be drivable, go round a corner too fast and the wheel may just fall off.
When engine tempreture is working, you may not tighten up a pipe in a replaced radiator, causing a small water leak, that slowly trickles away, like time...... until your engine overheats due to the lack of water. Other things like spark plugs not being replaced properly, or sump plugs left untightended...and you can by now imagine what Im on about. This would replicate real life EVEN FURTHUR, and Im sure would also be an excellent selling point.
You could then bring back credits, and use them as a sort of currency, to rebuy the parts you need. Of course, if you no nothing about mechanics, then you can get the computer to auto fix it, but personnaly, i think it would make LFS that bit more real. It would also add the fun touch, and also help to learn more about mechanics

{EDIT} this would also keep the n00b wreckers of the tracks as they would run out of credits to fix things cos the keep crashing ALL THE TIME head on ito a lampost on purpose taking out 15 other guys with em.!
If I'm going to need to do repairs in real-time and spend money to do it, I think I'd rather go racing for real tbh. At least then I'd be able to feel g-forces, use my peripheral vision and get out of my car to bash the crap out of wreckers. It'd get me out of the house a bit more often too
Plus in RL if I put it into a fence I'd have a real mechanic fix my car while I put my feet up and have a cuppa.
I like the idea but I think it's something that might be included in S9. By that time, my wife would be attending my funeral and Scawen would be in sim heaven coding Live for Angels.
I'd guess it would make too much stuff to work on... Plus very much stuff for racing... But I'd be up for seeing people work on your car while your at pit-stop or such a thing .
#5 - Renku
A definite NO!
Eerrmmm, a nice idea... - but no.
No, no, no, no, NO!
^what they said
And the pit crew would be out somewhere bowling?
No thanks.
Nah, it would spoil the fun. I have enough problems working on cars 9-6 let alone in my leasure time too.

How much detail would you go into? Simulating failures from overtightening (more failures happen due to overtightening joints than undertightening)? Split pins? Lock wire (that could be a fun game)? It strikes me as though it would be a game unto itself, and it would take at least 5 years for a small team to get it workable.
so what happens when someone leaves a sumpbung out and your engine loses all it's oil and blows up...? you have to change then engine yourself!? man that would just be a pain!! illepall

what i would like to see though is when people blow an engine (say from over revving or too high a temp) or even bursting a sump off a kerb it leaves oil down and causes hell for the rest of the drivers!

Also, -10000000000000000 to any silly credits thing.
but you only have 1 hand on a computer.. the mouse, its kinda hard to hold up a wheel and tire with 1 hand and get it onto the lugnuts
#14 - joen
an infinitely big neigh
#15 - Gunn
Lots of horses here. If there was the choice I would vote "nay".
S14 if you go down this route there's no end to it. Next you will want Live for Sleep, in which one has to control the turning and rolling movements of the sleeping driver the night before the race, in order to make sure that he's properly refreshed for the morning.
Quote from jtr99 :S14 if you go down this route there's no end to it. Next you will want Live for Sleep, in which one has to control the turning and rolling movements of the sleeping driver the night before the race, in order to make sure that he's properly refreshed for the morning.

Why hasn't anyone thought of that before? That's a brilliant idea!
Quote from jtr99 :S14 if you go down this route there's no end to it. Next you will want Live for Sleep, in which one has to control the turning and rolling movements of the sleeping driver the night before the race, in order to make sure that he's properly refreshed for the morning.

As to enhance the realism of the game in later versions i simply suggested. I also suggested the "AutoFix" function so if you couldnt be assed to do it urslef the pc does it for you and whats mechanical stuff got to do with sleep....zzzzzzz
I just imagine a car driving in to the pit, driver jumps out, runs around the car changing all four tyres, time is running, stress, the opponents are getting closer, he drops the screws, one rolls under the car, he finally finds it jumps back on the seat realizing that he forgot to refule...

Sounds like nK but even worse :doh:
Whoo.. I got shocked, because I first thought, you wanted to have the Mecanik program in LFS
But to your idea: sounds nice and fun, but I don't think it belongs in a racing sim - it would be a fixing sim then
ya.. all the people that cant afford S2 licenses get to work on the cars we wreck in S2

...well.. its an idea lol

Mechanic Program In Game
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG