The online racing simulator
Program related to internet
(40 posts, started )
So, my bro and I have much problems because if one of us downloads something, the other can't use Internet at all, because torrent takes all the speed for itself... (As you could already guess, we are on separate PCs, but on the same network (router).)

So, is there any kind of program that "splits" the network speed on 2 parts if 2 PCs are connected to the router...
So what I'm trying to say is:
The network has a max dll speed of 512kB/s.
Is there a program that would allow each PCs only 256kB/s when 2 are connected, 100 something when 3 are connected, and full speed when only one connected?
Quote from matijapkc :So, my bro and I have much problems because if one of us downloads something, the other can't use Internet at all, because torrent takes all the speed for itself... (As you could already guess, we are on separate PCs, but on the same network (router).)

So, is there any kind of program that "splits" the network speed on 2 parts if 2 PCs are connected to the router...
Is there a program that would allow each PCs only 256kB/s when 2 are connected, 100 something when 3 are connected, and full speed when only one connected?

Limit the upload speed of your torrents and you'll be fine.
You blew it man. Thread title like this deserves a comedy 1st post.
#4 - Mysho
512Kb/s is SO slow. You should get a better provider or something. Also if you want to use internet just shut down the torrents for that time and after you're finished turn them on again. What's the deal?
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Limit the upload speed of your torrents and you'll be fine.

I got it limited @10kB/s (max is around 28...), but I'm using BitComet, so my dll speed exceeds the limit if I've got a good torrent... Once the speed got to 580kB/s.
E: He's downloading something right now, and this is my second try to edit the post... I dunno does he have any up limits, I'll tell him about it, I forgot to do it...

Quote from spankmeyer :You blew it man. Thread title like this deserves a comedy 1st post.

Sorry for not making you laugh... Didn't know what name should I put up there, so I just written it like this.

Quote from Mysho :512Kb/s is SO slow. You should get a better provider or something. Also if you want to use internet just shut down the torrents for that time and after you're finished turn them on again. What's the deal?

Well, when you're 16, not earning any money, not paying for the Internet and when you've got "Internet TV" from the same provider, and also, when even your father doesn't have more money, it's just not possible... We're on T-Com over here, and their max speed is 20Mbps, and along with unlimited traffic costs over 100$.
#6 - CSU1
...global max download set too?
Quote from Mysho :512Kb/s is SO slow.

So what? Maybe he cant have better one?

But tbh, i'd like to have same kind of solution. I got 3 PC's on LAN and they are not all in our home. One is for cousin for example. So i'd like to split it the same way as matijapkc described.
Dude Croatia has better internet than the UK and I get 10mb.

You could if you had some proper switches but I doubt you have £2000 for a HP Networking jobbie.
p.s., use uTorrent.
Get a decent router that supports QoS.
Like Linksys WRT54GL and load up dd-wrt or tomato firmware.
Or any other router that supports either of those firmwares:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/T ... ted_devices_and_revisions
If you'll have problems setting it up, feel free to contact me.

Don't see how this situation is at all funny tho.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :You could if you had some proper switches but I doubt you have £2000 for a HP Networking jobbie.

Just because it says HP doesn't mean it's any good. And certainly much overpriced for such a situation. At the worst you'd need a old pc, slap on a lightweight *nix OS and configure everything by hand. By far the best performance, specially on such a slow and "underused" network.
QoS doesn't really split bandwidth, it doesn't say "here you go, you two each get to have 256kb of a 512kb pipe" simply prioritises traffic, more often used for VoIP deployments alongside existing network infrastructure. Just says that when data is transfered, traffic marked with whatever DSCP value gets right of way. Basically like those "give way" signs on the roads.

I was simply using HP Networking equipment as an example because as that's what we sell and install at work (along other networking hardware) and I know roughly how much that costs. Most new(ish) home routers will support QoS but I've never come across it working properly unless you have a properly switched environments. But yeah, HP stuff isn't too bad actually. And doesn't vendor-rape you like Cisco.

But hey if you can do it then by all means, share the knowledge.
either limit the speed on your router for each IP/port/MAC if you can or on each of your PCs, qos won't help you with this and buying another router is pointless i think, but i still think the best way is just enable limiter in your torrent client...you never know when you'll need full speed on single PC
QoS never worked for me, my router runs on dd-wrt
Quote from S14 DRIFT :QoS doesn't really split bandwidth, it doesn't say "here you go, you two each get to have 256kb of a 512kb pipe" simply prioritises traffic, more often used for VoIP deployments alongside existing network infrastructure. Just says that when data is transfered, traffic marked with whatever DSCP value gets right of way. Basically like those "give way" signs on the roads.

This however is true, but you can work around this "problem", if I can call it that.
As an example I'll take a 1024kbps connection with 2 clients and only look at download.

Because 1024kbps is the upmost upper limit of the connection I'll mark that with iptables/ipchains in the mangle table as well as both connections to both clients/computers(or subnets for that matter). So I have 3 marks:
1 - link to teh worldz!one11!one
2 - pc1
3 - pc2

Then ussing tc I'll make the mark 1 as the parent class with rate of 1024kbps. Marks 2 and 3 will have rate of 512kbps and ceiling of 1024kbps.
And because borrowing is a fundamental part of HTB qdisc both clients will try to borrow more "bandwith" from the parent class(mark 1) until they reach their ceiling or there is no more "bandwith to borrow".
So if computer1 is idling, virtually not using any bandwith, the computer2 can borrow up to 1024kbps of bandwith(in theory) and is using up it's own rate and ceil, but as soon as computer1 becomes active and needs bandwith, tc will assign computer1 as much bandwith it needs until it reaches it's rate, and try to give it more if needed and if available(because of computer2 using it as well fully on).

I don't have anything against HP or Cisco. I have against all the vendors.(ok maybe a little bit more against Cisco, because of their, "you needz to take our 31337 classez to set up a connection on our most basic, heavily overpriced network equipment and don't even dream about something better until you really mastered our stuff", policy)
I like putting things together from scratch.
And I've been running the above scenario(with higher speeds) for years at home, worked ever since, and all that for nothing. Had an old computer laying around, only spent ~8€ for another NIC.
It get's complicated tho if you have quite a few computers running and you need to ensure each of them their share of bandwith. The script grows pretty darn quick in size.

Now, I don't know if the gfx interface of dd-wrt and/or tomato provide such functionality, but one can still SSH into them and play around with the settings.
Do agree about the Cisco thing. I mean I'm studying for my CCNA at the moment and compared to the HP Config line stuff, Cisco is such a PITA. Also nothing makes sense on the Cisco where as HP is a bit more intuitive. But hey that's a bit off topic.

I think I understand what you're explaining(and thanks for taking the time out to do it:nod - and I see how that would then work but you'd be in effect load balancing a download pipe between two PCs, so it's not really as quick as if you'd just shut down the torrent on PC2.

Also as you say if you have more than 2 pcs (or even devices, for example atm my PC, iphone, ipod touch, ps3 and probably my flatmates laptop are on our wireless) so can get messy and hard to administer.

More often than not though, you can download at 90% of your total download speed (say downloading at 480kbps out of a max of 512) and you'd still be able to browse alright on the proviso you weren't UPLOADING.

Even using half the upload bandwidth (on a 512kb line this is going to be shit, like 10kbs shit) would dramatically slow down your browsing experience, so even disabling uploads would help immensely. Or you could do what everyone else does, and torrent overnight with unlimited capacity on upload and download.
How many times have you been waiting for hours to download a 100mb torrent file because none of the bastards who are using it are seeding? DON'T BE A SEEDING FAGGOT. At least a 1.00 U/D ratio on your torrent before you remove it after completing your download.
Yes, it's not ideal. But I'd rather lose 100kB/s on a 20Mbps line than only have have 100kB/s available.
And turning of torrents on PC2 sometimes isn't exactly an option. You know how brothers can be.
As for upload, you don't need to cut it in half, you can rate it at let's say 25% and ceil it up to 75% max, or whatever.
Hard to administer yes, but far from impossible.

I'm 100% sure that it's a better solution to do it like that for home use or even in small to medium sized companies. Larger companies like banks, insurance companies and all those high muckymucks have the money to buy "serious" hardware anyway.
#17 - CSU1
wtf...slap your bro in teh chops and set his GLOBAL up AND download limits to 40% of the net total, and LIMIT CONCURRANT NUMBER OF CONNECTIONS> simpleZ

effin cisco routers LoLz!
Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but just as important as throttling maximum upload rate, you should limit the maximum number of connections too. The way I see if, each connection gets an equal share of the network, so if your torrent client keeps 100 active connections, eah tab in your web browser is going to get less than 1% of the line.
  • Use uTorrent.
  • Throttle Upload.
  • Download & Install DD-WRT.
  • Setup QoS within DD-WRT.
I'm sorry to come off as a bit of a troll now but...
  • (x)WRT doesn't work with most ADSL routers and there is no easier way to bricked router than messed up installation of custom firmware
  • I know than uTorrent uses some more advanced trickery to control traffic, but I doubt it will make any significant difference.
My guess is that your router is having problems handling many opened connections which is very much the case when you're downloading torrents.
Quote from matijapkc :So, my bro and I have much problems because if one of us downloads something, the other can't use Internet at all, because torrent takes all the speed for itself... (As you could already guess, we are on separate PCs, but on the same network (router).)

...or you could try a traffic shaping software like cfos or this freeware (havent't tried, just googled an wikied)

http://bandwidthcontroller.com/trafficShaperXp.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_shaping
#22 - CSU1
Quote from Bob Smith :Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but just as important as throttling maximum upload rate, you should limit the maximum number of connections too. The way I see if, each connection gets an equal share of the network, so if your torrent client keeps 100 active connections, eah tab in your web browser is going to get less than 1% of the line.

Guess who's on uncle Bob's ignore list LoL
Quote from CSU1 :Guess who's on uncle Bob's ignore list LoL

Now I see your post above mine. It was still worth posting though, seeing as mine is written in English.
Quote from MadCatX :
[*](x)WRT doesn't work with most ADSL routers and there is no easier way to bricked router than messed up installation of custom firmware
[/LIST]

ADSL routers?
Haven't seen those.
And if you have the correct version of firmware for your router, and electricity doesn't run out right when you're flashing, everything should be fine. I've probably flashed tons of those and neither got "bricked".
Yup, ADSL routers like that Asus WL-600g that's sitting on the table right behind me WRT distros usually don't have drivers for the embedded ADSL modems which is a bit of a problem.
Yes, i.e. Asus devices can usually be booted in recovery mode and flashed back, but try to do that when your net connection dies, you don't have a backup of the original firmware, no ftp client installed and ultimately you have no idea how to boot the device in recovery mode or how to force flash the original FW.

I just thought I should warn matija (or anybody else) about this 'cause quite a lot of people mentioned DD-WRT without any info about possible problems it might cause. I know that everybody always reads the whole documentation thoroughly, double-checks compatibility of his HW and backs everything up before doing something dangerous, but just it case

(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG