The online racing simulator
Motion Cockpit View - driver's view level to the horizon
Would it be possible to keep the driver's view level to the horizon? I am not a programmer but what seems a simple tweak could make a world of difference.

Some probably know this idea already from Stephane Turpin's Motion Cockpit View plugin for iRacing.
There are a lot of strong reactions about it but personally I think this is a huge improvement in sim racing. Not only in immersion but also track perception: you can see the banking and elevation that you could not see before.
(Stephane's brilliant idea made iRacing include it in the latest update: adjustable horizon tilt and pitch levels)

What it does is rotate the car, keeping the horizon level, so you perceive the track like in the real world. In sim racing tradition your eyeballs are glued to your headrest, so to speak and you see the road always flat and level.

You need to make a mental switch to let go of what you are used to after years of sim racing, but once you do, you will wonder how you could ever have driven with your eyeballs glued to your headrest for such a long time

Watch here to get an impression of how it looks. Vids don't really do this justice, you have to experience it yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSJs3oqG2T4
+1337

Yup, the tool for the pitch and so on is nice, but it disables other functions and it doesn't work perfectly. I don't think, this is hard to implement in LFS and it would definitely be loved.
Hi Rotareneg, I did not know your program even existed! Will try it out, thank you already for making something like this

-Just gave it a quick test: works very good so far! 6A1 btw.
I would like this to be implemented but as an optional setting. In real the head's got a built in "view stabilizer". Try looking at something while rolling your head. You'll still always experience the vertical axis of your environment as the vertical axis of your view. That's why I think it's a good thing.

On the other hand, I do like it when my steering wheel and all my other gear is synced and leveled with the in game car. So I'd say; add it but make it optional.
Quote from Velo Wringer :
(Stephane's brilliant idea made iRacing include it in the latest update: adjustable horizon tilt and pitch levels)

Where is this option in iRacing? I just had a look but couldn't find it.
Not a perfect gyro cam view, but one with slight delay in returning to level would be perfect. Ideally adjustable, the same way LFS manages straight XYZ bumps now.
@Crashgate3
you have to set it in app.ini:

DriverHeadHorizon=0.750000 ; Percent to allow the drivers head to stay level with the horizon when the car tilts.
DriverHeadNoPitch=0.333333 ; Percent to allow the drivers head to stay level with the horizon when the car pitches.
Awesome, thanks
That is basically tilt angle and YES it would be awesome if it was integrated in lfs.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG