The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :You don't really lose anything, apart from the ability to have multiple colour schemes for one skin, but I don't think that's really needed.

Doesn't that break making color schemes for AI drivers?
Hi Scawen,

I am not sure if I have been reading well thru this thread but when I will install one these new patches it will reset my controller settings in LFS?
I have Logitech Formula Force GP wheel.

Could I avoid it by doing back-up of my CFG file and then replace it back after installing the latest unofficial patch?

off-topic....
I think nobody requested it so far but can you PIMP MY RIDE?
+1 for option between old and new speedo

As biggie said, we need to see the real corner speeds when hotlapping as absurd as it sounds New one is cool when just having good time with racing etc though
Something i've found while playing:

When im in any gear, at the red line point you get the little red dot appear, but if you touch the clutch pedel, even slightly, the red dot goes out even though you are still jumping off the rev limiter.

My understanding is that the red dot should come on and stay on at the required shift point weather the clutch is engaged or not?
Damm....its always like that.I forgot on something and its related to Views topic.

Could we rotate with camera in any view around all axes?
We can now rotate "left-right,up-down" but the last option is missing.

+1 to choose the speedo option.

Many thanks and keep your good work Scawen.
Quote from Scawen :How about if instead of a list of "colour files" there would simply be a list of relevant skins in that left column. When selecting a skin XRT_ABC for example, LFS would try to load a colour file XRT_ABC.col.

Good idea. But you should still be able to create a new color file to use without a skin. :up:
Quote from seggons :Something i've found while playing:

When im in any gear, at the red line point you get the little red dot appear, but if you touch the clutch pedel, even slightly, the red dot goes out even though you are still jumping off the rev limiter.

My understanding is that the red dot should come on and stay on at the required shift point weather the clutch is engaged or not?

Depends.

If it's a gear change indicator then you depressing the clutch is indicating that you are about to change gear. I don't think that it's a rev limiter, which is what you are intumating, if it was then the engine would stop revving at that point. If my memory serves me correctly you can over rev from the point the light comes on.

So what do you want? A rev limiter set at the change gear point. (Not ideal as it forces you to change regardless of situation) or an indicator of ideal gear change (Which is what you have). The engine still has revs in it with power, just not peak power. Maybe in RL the gear change light would stay on untill the revs dropped the maximum rev limit being governed by an engine management system but LFS obviously uses the clutch as a trigger for the light to go out.

Maybe I now see what you are saying.

Hmmmm. Confused myself now.
He means that with even just a little bit of clutch down, the light won't come on even when you hit rev limiter.
So LFS has tied the Change light to the clutch position. How else should it be done?

(Thats not being fractous. Just seeing what there is to say about it.)
LFS's gear change indicator is more intelligent than a normal shift-light. It doesn't simply start glowing at a given rpm. For example it never starts while you are spinning your wheels. So I would say that this is a feature rather than a bug. Usual gear change indicators in real cars (unless you're driving F1, I guess) will indicate at a given rpm. Every time. It's more like a lightbulp that indicates when you've reached a certain rpm and not a "this is the ideal gear change rpm"-indicator like in LFS.

Vain
Quote from Scawen :Blowtus, don't push me. I've worked my butt off these last 10 days and I am requesting for the requests to stop, and for people to read the thread before posting, so as not to irritate me with repeated requests. I only need to be told something once. Is that so unreasonable?

sorry mate, I may have been misinterpreted...? I had no issue with telling folk to read the posts Just pointing out that although you said you didn't want requests, realistic and relevant ones seemed to be seeing a pretty good hit ratio...
As a lot of people have mentioned an opinion on the speedo option request, I will add my comment. I don't favour adding an option. I like to avoid adding options, if at all possible - because : they mean more code to maintain and more that can go wrong. I only add options if it's very important. In this case I can't see any reason to add an option, it's close enough to the real speed and as a car simulator it should be as close as possible to driving a real car. Hotlappers will need to adjust to reading 103 mph instead of 102 mph or whatever. I haven't heard of GPS based speedos or similar in a real car.

The only suggestion that seems to me worth considering is what Nikimere said a few pages back http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=159438#post159438 - a more accurate speedo on race cars by taking the speed from non-driving wheels. Though possibly this may be only found on cars with ABS, so they already have wheel speed sensors?
Only problem with this is locked wheel before a turn means 0mph??? I like the current system taken from drive shaft, as far as I'm aware, the racing cars I have the chance to look round, take their speed from the rear axle....
Generally it should be possible to read the speed from any wheel with all methods. The wire we use for measurement can be fixed to any wheel. But usually you don't do that because undriven wheels like to lock up more than driven wheels. Slightly exaggerated locking up a inner wheel while braking into a corner is somewhat of a necessity to make good times (Ky Nat, from oval to infield in XFR, f.e., you usually lock up a tyre for several seconds). Also the connection to the driven wheels indicates spinning tyres very good.
That's propably the reason why in real life the measurement is mostly taken from the driven wheels. Newer cars might be able to combine the readouts from all wheelspeed sensors and acceleration sensors into a 'real' speed, excluding all errors from slipping. But that's black magic.
But what I want to ask: Is the pit speed limiter connected to the driveshaft-speed or the 'true' speed over ground? With pit limiter on the speedo-needle can nicely go over the pitlane speed with spinning tyres. It looks like the limiter only reacts when the true speed reaches the pit lane speed.

Vain
I like the new speedo. Since I started racing LFS I've always relied too much on the speedo and spent a lot of time staring at it, so anything you can do to make it less useful is fine by me.

Seriously!
InSim still outputs real speed I hope?
Quote from thisnameistaken :I like the new speedo. Since I started racing LFS I've always relied too much on the speedo and spent a lot of time staring at it, so anything you can do to make it less useful is fine by me.

Seriously!

Take a good book mate. Balamce that on the steering wheel, that'll make you look less at the speedo.
somehow i managed after recording a lap to a raf file to stop at the the background screen.
i cant type anything, the only things that work are the shortcut buttons ((strg +) F1 - F8) and the sound, when pressing some false keys.
when i press the shortcuts it also displays the name of the driver i was recording and not mine. i had to kill lfs using the taskmanager.
Attached images
background_screen.jpg
Quote from (FIN)Eza :+1 for option between old and new speedo

As biggie said, we need to see the real corner speeds when hotlapping as absurd as it sounds New one is cool when just having good time with racing etc though

Silly Eza, look out of thine window and behold the passing scenery will tellst thou how fast thou art travelling at any given time

+1 for abolishing digital speedos in cars which wouldn't have them too!!
Quote from Scawen :XCNuse : I wish you would read the thread before posting. It is starting to become extremely irritating when nearly every page of the thread has yet another conversation about the reverse direction.

sorry, i've been bad like this this whole week
this is like 5th thread it's happened
Quote from bLaCk VaMpIrE :somehow i managed after recording a lap to a raf file to stop at the the background screen.
i cant type anything, the only things that work are the shortcut buttons ((strg +) F1 - F8) and the sound, when pressing some false keys.
when i press the shortcuts it also displays the name of the driver i was recording and not mine. i had to kill lfs using the taskmanager.

Is this reproducable? If it's rare I won't worry about it. If it's 100% reproducable I must fix it (and it will be easy to).

BTW I think you didn't need to use the task manager - you could have pressed SHIFT+F4 to a window, then click the X box (bad way to leave LFS normally but easier than task manager).
Quote from bLaCk VaMpIrE :somehow i managed after recording a lap to a raf file to stop at the the background screen.

Dunno if it has anything to do with this, but something similar happens when you pause during replay and then restart the replay; The game pauses on the blank loading background screen, which can be a bit confusing sometimes. Simply unpausing will continue it though.
Quote from Scawen :then click the X box (bad way to leave LFS normally but easier than task manager).

Whoops, i run LFS in a window all the time (presonal preference) and i usualy use the red X. :banghead: Altho nothing has ever gone wrong with my LFS.
Quote from RoCkBiGdAvE :Whoops, i run LFS in a window all the time (presonal preference) and i usualy use the red X. :banghead: Altho nothing has ever gone wrong with my LFS.

The biggest problem with leaving a multiplayer race via the red X is that it *CAN* cause massive "lag" for other players, resulting in the inability to join, pit or leave, for several seconds.
Quote from yaper :One thing to fine tune the dials. Please make it little bit smoother/delayed. The algorithm from steering smoothing should be the best.

I have to agree with this.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG