The online racing simulator
Damper tuning
(31 posts, started )
First of all, I know this is kind of grave digging a 5 year old thread. But I think it is senseless to create a new thread just for one question.

WRT to the demo road - cars without bound and rebound options, how would the whole DAMPERS option affect handling? For me, I am running an XFG that really oversteers when I take my brake off the break pedal. (or understeers during braking; however you look at it). What should I do to the dampers? I read that I should + F Rebound or - R Bound. How would dampers (which should = Rebound or Bound / 2) affect this?
i think of dampers as a nice way to make the suspension work slower.

so basically when you release the gas on the xfg, which makes it oversteer, your suspension isnt doing its job, and you lose grip in the back.

if you remove some damper in the back to allow the back to rebound, and increase it in the front, allowing the car to not 'dive' so much, you may be better off

it is best to combat the damper with the stiffness of the spring though, tighten up the front, and perhaps loosen the back a little, and it will also solve it.
that sounds more like a differential thing than suspension, no?
Nope, sounds like a perfect example of countering a certain transient behaviour with dampers... Other factors can contribute to the issue, but if the steady state handling is ok the first thing you'd turn to have to be the dampers...
Well, thanks for the quick reply guys. My question was essentially how the new DAMPER OPTION affect handling. Because damper is really equal to rebound and bound/2, if I increase damper, I will essentially be increasing both rebound and bound. If I want oversteer during braking, [or understeer when I release the brakes], how should I approach this using the whole damper option?

This is during the downhill portion of BL1 (Sector 3 - T1) (T5 if you look at the whole track).

I remember Tristan, or someone, showed me an equation for dampers to spring stiffness so that the dampers work effectively to dampen out spring oscillation. Would you guys happen to know what that was? I can't find that thread...
if im correct, pretty sure this will work, add stiffness to the front (spring not damper), remove a little from back (little changes 'til its perfect); when you think you find a good balance, adjust the damper, more in the back, less in the front.

with roll bar's you should be adding a little to the front, and taking from the back.

Damper tuning
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG