The online racing simulator
First time on lfs, can't move!
(15 posts, started )
I just downloaded the demo version and want to practice. Now the game comes up and I can start a race, but I just sit there reving the engine and cranking the wheel. The car does not move. I have the setting for 'auto'.
I am using a logitech joystick. Everything else seems to work...but I can't move!

Any suggestions?
Think of the car as sitting there in either Park or Neutral on an actual automatic transmission. To get the car moving, you have to put it into Drive first, which is done by putting it in first gear. Further shifting will then happen automatically through the forward speeds, but it won't put itself into N/P and the brakes will not put it into reverse, as they do on many arcade games.

To clarify, LFS does not actually simulate an automatic transmission, it merely allows you to have it shift the manual gearbox for you.
LFS starts you in neutral, press S to shift up. Check out the LFS Manual for more information.
Everytime that i download a game, the 1st thing what i do is set the keys...
2nd is know every trick about the game.

This can save lot of time
Quote from brainslot :I just downloaded the demo version and want to practice. Now the game comes up and I can start a race, but I just sit there reving the engine and cranking the wheel. The car does not move. I have the setting for 'auto'.
I am using a logitech joystick. Everything else seems to work...but I can't move!

Any suggestions?

When you select automatic gear box, you have to put it into 1st gear when the race starts. Then the gear box will do all the shifting there after.
Ok, thanks for the responses.

I did read the basic manual, and didn't come across that info.

But....I started up the race and pressed the 's' key and I do see the dash indicate '1' first gear...but I'm still don't move.

Is the handbrake on? or something like that?

Brian
-
(sermilan) DELETED by sermilan
#7 - senn
handbrake should disengage automatically when you attempt to move off.

Is the gearbox AND clutch set to auto, or just the gearbox? It may be that it's trying to use a manual clutch (which u don't really want with a stick)

To check this, go to the OPTIONS menu, and then select DRIVER. You should be able to see both gearbox and clutch options near the bottom of the text on that screen.

Also, to see if your joystick isn't engaging the footbrake for some reason (it's been a while since i used a stick on LFS) Enable the Pedal display option so you can see what is being depressed (accelerator/brake/clutch/handbrake)

To enable this, go to OPTIONS menu, and select DISPLAY. go down to SHOW PEDALS and click the box next to it until it says YES. This should then show you (when on the track, in the car) if your joystick is doing what it should be doing, or if it's jamming the brake on because the axis aren't set correctly. (should be some bars down in the right hand side corner if i remember correctly) Green is Accelerator axis, Red is brake axis, Blue is Clutch axis, and Grey is handbrake axis. If you have both full green and red bars when revving the car and trying to move off, then your footbrake is jammed on.
That's all i can think of if all your settings are as you say.

Best of luck, and let us know if this works.

If the above don't work show us a replay; its pretty easy to do this.

Join in a single player race after selecting the car and the track. Try to drive off (once should be enough, but try two or three times just to be sure so that we'll notice what's wrong when we watch the replay...).

Press "1" to save replay. It might automatically save replay and then start showing it from the beginning (or it might prompt you to enter a file name).

Now simply make a forum post and attached the replay file as an attachment using the attachments button. You can find the replay in your LFS folder under data/spr (SPR stands for single player replay) and simply upload it.

Someone will be able to have a look at it and hopefully spot whats wrong...
Do you mean 2 for a replay ?
Not in SP
Quote from morpha :Think of the car as sitting there in either Park or Neutral on an actual automatic transmission. To get the car moving, you have to put it into Drive first, which is done by putting it in first gear. Further shifting will then happen automatically through the forward speeds, but it won't put itself into N/P and the brakes will not put it into reverse, as they do on many arcade games.

To clarify, LFS does not actually simulate an automatic transmission, it merely allows you to have it shift the manual gearbox for you.

Thanks for the information - I had no idea what I was doing wrong at first. I should probably read through the manual afterwards as well.
Hey guys, I'm having trouble with this semester problem aswell. Both gas and Broken pedales seem to be pressed even thought I dont touch anything, any fines?
Hi

Try on INVERT AXIS
Attached images
INVERT AXIS LFS.jpg
I put on show peadles and it shows a grey thing should this meansomething
Quote from kyanisaf :I put on show peadles and it shows a grey thing should this meansomething

Grey bar is the handbrake. It should disengage automatically.
If you push your brake/throtle pedals then a red/green bar should go up and down and the engine should rev.

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG