The online racing simulator
What do those strings mean
(13 posts, started )
Hi,
I want to clarify the context of some strings:

3h_vwsmooth View smoothing %.1f s :
does this smooth camera position when it flies, or its POV (orientation) when it looks at cars?

3h_trantime Transition time
is it a transition between points or a smooth TV-like gradual switch between views?

3h_nocarsvw no cars in view
Does this mean no cars in field of view or what?

3h_no_v_x_s, 3h_sh_nm_st, 3h_no_car_f, 3h_clicktof,
these are too short for me!
Save whole translation buttons make the browser (Opera 11) load CPU without sending anything.
Quote from detail :3h_vwsmooth View smoothing %.1f s :
does this smooth camera position when it flies, or its POV (orientation) when it looks at cars?

It's the smoothing time applied when you move the camera. So as you rotate or move, it's not instantly there, it's softened (smoothed) a bit, with this time delay.

Quote from detail :3h_trantime Transition time
is it a transition between points or a smooth TV-like gradual switch between views?

Maybe you know now from the test patch. This is when you select a different stored view, maybe with a different position / field of view / roll or a different car. LFS takes this amount of time to change from one to the other.

Quote from detail :3h_nocarsvw no cars in view
Does this mean no cars in field of view or what?

Yes, no cars currently visible in the direction you are looking.

Quote from detail :3h_no_v_x_s, 3h_sh_nm_st, 3h_no_car_f, 3h_clicktof,
these are too short for me!

OK, I guess you got the mail, these shouldn't have been so limited, and were made longer yesterday.
Quote from detail :Save whole translation buttons make the browser (Opera 11) load CPU without sending anything.

does that happen every time you try to save the entire translation? I mean, have you tried it again after that failed save? I've just tried it myself with Opera 11.01 build 1190 and it took about 2 seconds to save the whole page.
Quote from Scawen :It's the smoothing time applied when you move the camera. So as you rotate or move, it's not instantly there, it's softened (smoothed) a bit, with this time delay.

Errr... I mean, it's a smooth camera position transition, or image transition? (when at some point you see 2 semi-transparent images together)

I tried the test patch, but I have a lightweight laptop and kinda feel having grown out of playing.

Thanks for the explanations,

and Opera keeps crashing. It's 11.10, revision 2092, Linux i686 (32 bit), 2.6.32-31-generic.

I wish I had time and devotion to rewrite the translation tool with Datatables & jQuery.
It's just a smooth camera transition (position / zoom / rotation) from one stored view to another (or the same view between cars). Not a fade from one to another.
Thanks!
Scawen, can we have the "X" and "Y" of open configs translateable, please? When I look at the track selection screen, it just looks weird:
Quote :Blackwood
X Гран-При Y
X Ралликросс Y

The same weird to me as to you I guess. Also, any chance the tracks names being translateable, so that we could transcribe them and make track names consistent? Again, "Fern Bay Зелёная" looks strange.
#8 - yaper
That's why I'm not translating track variation names.
IMHO, it is better to always call it with original name, otherwise it is confusing and looks weird.
Well, what you do is just a workaround.
You don't switch to English in real life to say "Edinburgh" in the native pronunciation, nor write it exactly the same way in newspaper. It will be inconsistent to read or hear if you leave places names in their native spelling or pronunciation. This way you make Polish speakers break the reading model to make an exception and to remember that "Blackwood" reads as Polish "Blekwud", or "South City Chicane" is "Saut siti szikejn", (and when pronounced to the other person, that one has to reverse-engineer your English pronunciation. Just an example, as a programmer I heard dozen of ways to say "this" in the language that hasn't got the [th] sound)
I'm against names translations.

I have always hated how in spanish we translated every country and a lot of city names making very hard to understand with other people (we all know English, but try to guess how another country sais Germany for example and you'll have some troubles).

Luckily enough track names or corner names were never translated (among many other things). I refuse to see "Silver"-"stone" translated into spanish hahaha

BUT, spanish has latin characters, so don't know how this would aply to non latin languages
Quote from Whiskey :BUT, spanish has latin characters, so don't know how this would aply to non latin languages

I think that is the point, detail is mostly interested in "transliteration" rather than translation.

Because the Cyrillic alphabet is mostly compatible with the Latin alphabet, you can convert Latin names to Cyrillic without really changing anything. Even though the result may be meaningless in Russian, it's only as meaningless as "Moscow" for example. Not really a problem if it is a name.

But a name transliterated into Cyrillic is a lot easier to pronounce, if you are Russian and don't know the Latin alphabet. Just like we Latin alphabet users can more or less pronounce Ding Junhui but we wouldn't know where to start if we saw 3 Chinese characters.
If it is only to make it easier to read in a non latin language rather than tranlating its meaning then I think it could be done without any kind of problem (always talkin from my personal point of view, ofc).
Quote from detail :Thanks!
Scawen, can we have the "X" and "Y" of open configs translateable, please?

OK, I've done that now.

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG