The online racing simulator
Pulling my hair out
(15 posts, started )
Pulling my hair out
I am new to Sim racing and I am going nuts trying to decide on a wheel. I just built a new PC so my budget is only $150.00.

How important is a 900 degree wheel?

I am looking at these:

Thrustmaster Ferrari F430 Wheel
Logitech 3 Driving Force GT Racing Wheel
Thrustmaster Rally GT Force Feedback Pro Clutch Edition

suggestions would be appreciated
Nowadays 900º is a must (IMO). Maybe you won't use all 900º, but you'll be using at least 400 for sure.

I only used Logitech wheels and I can only say good things about its drivers and possible settings. Don't know about Thrustmaster ones, but could be a thing to bear in mind also
#3 - Seb66
You don't need 900 degree's rotation at all, I have a G25... which obviously has 900 degree's rotation, and I only use 300 degree's of it.. same with a lot of people
720 is still nice for those occasions where you want to turn around quickly at slow speeds... i guess it all depends on how fine you want the control to be.
Quote from Seb66 :You don't need 900 degree's rotation at all, I have a G25... which obviously has 900 degree's rotation, and I only use 300 degree's of it.. same with a lot of people

That is more than the 270º Thrustmaster offers, which was my point. Nowadays it's hard to find anyone using 270 or less if they have more deegres available.
DFGT.

/end thread
I use 270deg on my G25 pretty much all the time.
You dont NEED 900 degrees but if you want to feel anything like driving a real car then I suggest to go for it. After buying my G25 few years back I would never go back to 270 or anything similar. It's just no fun anymore.
720 degree is what you want on LFS. You want a 1:1 ratio ideally and LFS is one of the few games that provides that.
Oh you reminded me that I forgot to mention that for LFS I use 720, mainly because it is the right "spec" for LFS cars and somehow it just feels right. Also if the virtual wheel isn't turning in exact same pace it annoys me a bit. For other stuff I usually use 900 degrees even if mostly I use less than the 36 degrees of lock that LFS provides.

The least amount of steering degrees I use is 540, for instance in RBR when I drive the WRC spec cars or something similar.
Ok so of the 3 wheels what would you get? Or should I get a Momo on ebay for $50.
If I'm not completely mistaken out of those three the Logitech is only one with 900 degrees of rotation, so at least I myself would go for it. My friend also bought a Driving Force GT just while ago because he wanted the 900 degrees but didn't want to pay the price of a G25. I have tested it a bit and it felt like a quality product. Only the pedals are a bit flimsy, but I think they still do their job.
Hey, I have a thrustmaster ferrari experience wheel, cost £40, standard wheel but if you buy a joystick you can have a great h-shifter setup
I honestly think that a dfgt or a dfp with a joystick would be your best bet. In my area there are some leftover dfp's for only $50 and joysticks shouldn't be more than $25. There are some joystick programs out there that can use ffb on ffb joysticks to simulate a 5 speed + reverse shifter. Then you can use the wheel's built in shifter as a handbrake and there ya go.

Just tossing around some ideas.
Thanks everyone for the ideas. The wife made it easy and ordered the Thrustmaster RGT Force Feedback Pro Clutch Edition.

See you on track soon

Pulling my hair out
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG