The online racing simulator
Computer help needed
(68 posts, started )
Quote from majod :Can you explain why would CPU do something like that? ...

The explanation is actually pretty simple. As the CPU heats up, its transistors loose the capability to open and close, thus generating incorrect signals. However, modern CPUs are quite good at taking the heat.
Quote from MadCatX :I haven't seen an overheated CPU causing this kind of problems for a long while. Perhaps if it were overclocked, but there are more entries in the log that suggest something might be wrong with his HDD.

Maybe it's not the HDD failing but just badly corrupted NTFS structure, in this case running "chkdsk" could help.

well, recently I do it twice a week maybe and every time new bad clusters are found, missed last time.
According to backup - I dont have any vital info on HDD, if I have I get it on my pendrives, so it is just annoying to take so much time to get PC running for mostly communication purpose. Having 2 firewalls and 3 antivirus not finding anything wrong I wont put more effort to make it running. I doubt it would help.
Quote from MadCatX :The explanation is actually pretty simple. As the CPU heats up, its transistors loose the capability to open and close, thus generating incorrect signals. However, modern CPUs are quite good at taking the heat.

You might be right, I thought temperature safety threshold is much lower before this starts to happen but I can't check it now to be sure (I mean I have never seen this behavior when CPU was overheating and even couldn't find article/video/graph, it is much clearly visible when GPU is overheating though)...
Quote from AndRand :well, recently I do it twice a week maybe and every time new bad clusters are found, missed last time.

If chkdsk finds bad clusters every time you run it, it's a clear sign that your HDD is about to say goodbye. The bright side is that you can get a new one relatively cheap.
CPU can't miscalculate just a single number in Excel.. you'd get a instant BSOD or at least half of apps would crash.
Quote from MadCatX :If chkdsk finds bad clusters every time you run it, it's a clear sign that your HDD is about to say goodbye. The bright side is that you can get a new one relatively cheap.

Probably.

Last time I run chkdsk after unexpected reboot it said NTFS is ok.
And because it happened when I tried to deinstall Adobe Reader I thought I do it manually and remove all the Acrobat entries from registry. So I started to make registry backup and it rebooted my PC. So I tried root by root to find out the place... well it reboots when saving HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software (saved as .txt instead of .reg) and HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2000478354-1645522239-725345543-1003 but strangely on different entries - well I dont know then: more registry is saved second time than first prolly HDD
Quote from bunder9999 ::doh:
of course your registry is getting corrupted, you keep using it. i give up.

ok, so what can I do to repair registry?

And one more question - PC reboots everytime I try to check, find, open entries in root HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE in areas of applications from M (after Microsoft ) to W. The same goes in HKEY_USERS\this long code name\SOFTWARE in the same areas for he same applications. Question is - is this the same part of registry (according to HDD) or different?
windows registry are basically files stored in windows\system32\config....those files there are your registry.
Default – HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT
Sam – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SAM
Security – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY
Software – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE
System – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM
OK.
Any hint why PC reboots when trying to open those files and where can I find copies?

I dont ask for way to prevent it 'cause it'll need 200€ antiviruses + 500€ AC filtering = not worthy
okay, i'll repeat myself.

you need to fix the underlying issue before you can fix your registry issue.

i'm still positive that this is a cooling/temperature OR memory issue, and until you fix that, the problem is only going to get worse.
one more question - what would you point out as reason of sudden shutdown (black screen-reboot) on opening of a specific file? A HDD hardware problem or a command like tsshutdn /reboot?
Quote from AndRand :one more question - what would you point out as reason of sudden shutdown (black screen-reboot) on opening of a specific file? A HDD hardware problem or a command like tsshutdn /reboot?

le sigh. i'll repeat myself yet again.

excessive cpu usage from opening a program, causing cpu thermal shutoff.
Quote from bunder9999 :le sigh. i'll repeat myself yet again.

Either that or it might be some sort of virus, it's kinda hard to tell especially when your PC is likely having more than just one problem...
Quote from bunder9999 :le sigh. i'll repeat myself yet again.

pfff, from opening what? Adobe Acrobat? Mozilla Firefox? kiddin me?
Quote from AndRand :pfff, from opening what? Adobe Acrobat? Mozilla Firefox? kiddin me?

No, I'm not. Do you have any idea how much your CPU is used during boot and startup, let alone starting an application? The answer is "a lot".
cmon, 1second app opening???

first peaks are Word opening, big last one is IE -I dont think FF and AA take more of CPU.
Quote from AndRand :cmon, 1second app opening???

first peaks are Word opening, big last one is IE -I dont think FF and AA take more of CPU.

those charts are just pictures windows generates based on theories of what they consider use, it's not really indicative of real use... (any process manager has this flaw, for any operating system)

okay, how about this then... install a sensors program like hmonitor, and get a copy of superpi. run it. does the machine crash?

Computer help needed
(68 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG