The online racing simulator
"stock setups" times
(22 posts, started )
#1 - jnr89
"stock setups" times
hey, im in a big dilema...
personally i dont know how to make setups property, i just love to test diferents setups i dont give a crap about who made them..

the thing is, for example, wich "RACE S" setup i feel more confort than "hard track" because something tells me that "hard track" is better with a wheel (im using a xbox controller)...

i have been trying to get into the 1:34.xxx range in blackwood with the xfg using RACE S...i think is possible, the closest i get was 1:35.02, i dont calculate the fuel i always use 10% for 5 laps.

my question is, a lot of people say the default setups sucks, but i find them very good for endurance (the relation between good average laps and tire preserving)

when im online, i think im the only one using default setups...

can somebody tells me reference times with default setups? example "hot lap" or "racing laps time" because everybody know is not the same doing a hot lap that racing for about 20 laps...

if you ask me, i dislike using setups instead i know without them is almost impossible to win in a competitive race, it would be awesome if LFS gives you an option to make servers where modified setups are not allowed and that stupid racing line (4) is disabled, that would be close racing everybody with the same setup and fuel..

so, i think is very possible make 1:34.xxx with RACE s on the XFG, because i cant do a "heel and toe braking" due to my controller limit (this thing just use one axis for brake and accelerator lol) and i could swear if i could do it i would cut at least 0.5 secs maybe 0.8... what do you say people?
LFS does allow people to run races with locked setups. But nobody does because they feel having a good setup is an integral part of the game.

In other games, I like it. But in LFS, I'm in the same boat as you. I don't like working with setups in LFS, because the default setups are so far off ideal settings. They're often stable, and easy to drive, yeah. But even compared to endurance set ups, they'll leave you in the dust.

I struggled for a long time driving the GTRs at Aston National online. It felt like no matter how much time I spent practicing the track, no matter what I changed in the setup, no matter what I did with the downforce/gearing, the others always had a 10 second per lap advantage over me.

Then again, one thing which throws me off way more is how LFS drives compared to iRacing, Race and rFactor. I find it much easier to go at a competitive pace in those simulators than I do in LFS. I have no idea why.

PM me, and I'll get in touch with you. I'm up for comparing my lap times on default setups with yours.
#3 - dadge
do a google search to the setup field. there you will be able to download quite a few setups for most track and cars. you can even download them all as a pack.
Quote from dadge :do a google search to the setup field. there you will be able to download quite a few setups for most track and cars. you can even download them all as a pack.

^that. And then modify the setup to your driving style if you need to.
#5 - dadge
usually brakes and anti-roll settings would be the things to look at when tweeking a setup that has been downloaded/sent. it the tweeks should be small.
Quote from lemming77 :LFS does allow people to run races with locked setups. But nobody does because they feel having a good setup is an integral part of the game.

In other games, I like it. But in LFS, I'm in the same boat as you. I don't like working with setups in LFS, because the default setups are so far off ideal settings. They're often stable, and easy to drive, yeah. But even compared to endurance set ups, they'll leave you in the dust.

I struggled for a long time driving the GTRs at Aston National online. It felt like no matter how much time I spent practicing the track, no matter what I changed in the setup, no matter what I did with the downforce/gearing, the others always had a 10 second per lap advantage over me.

Then again, one thing which throws me off way more is how LFS drives compared to iRacing, Race and rFactor. I find it much easier to go at a competitive pace in those simulators than I do in LFS. I have no idea why.

PM me, and I'll get in touch with you. I'm up for comparing my lap times on default setups with yours.

LFS doesn't do fixed setup races without a lot of admin input, ie taking setups from people after the race.

I don't particularly like working with setups either, much rather have someone else do it for me - which is great because setupgrid.net and setupfield.teaminferno.hu have setups for me to jump in and drive. Then ever since my first LFS race, I've built up some knowledge about setups and how to make small changes to suit my driving style or handling issues, so I'm less reliant on other people.

If people are having a 10s/lap advantage over you then either you have a seriously f***ed up setup or you're driving isn't very good.

It's always easier to go faster in more unrealistic simulators though mate.

Don't know why you want to do stuff on default setups, they are shit and the sooner you realise it the better And instead of having a nice cozy PM chat, maybe talk to the community who can help you, and then help the next person who comes along and looks at this thread?

If there's a car/track you want to learn or want a setup for then let us know and we can help, and post your setups/replays as well.
#7 - jnr89
damn, but i love to race in a competitive way, i mean everybody with the same exactly car (setup included), to be a driver Vs driver and not setup vs setup =(

well, i think i must live with this, what bother me is people asking for setups before they have reached the top performance of the default setups

i like to adapt to the car, i dislike to adapt the car to me

pd: @ boothy: i will pm you buddy let me do some replays =) this gonna be fun
@jnr89: If you're doing a 1:35x on blackwood with the stock setup, you're on the good way.
Heel and toe are a bit overrated in such situations, sure it will help you shave of some time, but there is still room for improvement elsewhere.
I still remember while being a Demo (ab)user I was stuck on 1:34:4x for ages, couldn't beat it, tried hundreds of setups from my friends etc. none actually helped me improve my time, while just one afternoon was driving offline for the jokes, and I went 1:33x.

What I'm trying to say, the setup isn't everything(ok, specific setups are better than stock setups for any track), so this doesn't make it a setup vs setup race. You still need a huge amount of skill to be able to compete for the top spots in the race, a skill that I still lack.
Quote from boothy :LFS doesn't do fixed setup races without a lot of admin input, ie taking setups from people after the race.

My mistake, I must be thinking of with the AI.
hey, forum (RWJ´s style) hehe, i was messing around with some buddies, i saw someone called stig (i know there is a lot of stigs in the lfs world) but man they send me some setups and inmediatly my Average Best goes down to 1:34!!!

my experience tells me, killing almost all the oversteering helps to cut time, some oversteering is good along the braking because it helps to get the clipping point too.

i can see some changes in the differentials, but dont have so much knowledge to explain it. i think a good FWD differential is one like the integra DC2 TYPE R, it is so SWEET (stock)!

sorry for my bad english!

thanks for the feedback!!
Quote from jnr89 :hey, forum (RWJ´s style) hehe, i was messing around with some buddies, i saw someone called stig (i know there is a lot of stigs in the lfs world) but man they send me some setups and inmediatly my Average Best goes down to 1:34!!!

my experience tells me, killing almost all the oversteering helps to cut time, some oversteering is good along the braking because it helps to get the clipping point too.

i can see some changes in the differentials, but dont have so much knowledge to explain it. i think a good FWD differential is one like the integra DC2 TYPE R, it is so SWEET (stock)!

sorry for my bad english!

thanks for the feedback!!

One missing point?, i dont understand how your profile created on DEC 2007 and still are demo??? (if you like the game buy a license) and you talk like you are playing to all tracks and cars..

Maybe i'm wrong and you are licensed player???.

Best regards Clock.
He may be content with the demo. Or he's hoping to become competitive with just the demo before he upgrades to S1 or S2.
Quote from clockterra :One missing point?, i dont understand how your profile created on DEC 2007 and still are demo??? (if you like the game buy a license) and you talk like you are playing to all tracks and cars..

Maybe i'm wrong and you are licensed player???.

Best regards Clock.

Quote from lemming77 :He may be content with the demo. Or he's hoping to become competitive with just the demo before he upgrades to S1 or S2.

wait a sec pals!! wait a sec LOL!

back in the day when i register my account, i used keyboard and my stupid PC didnt give more than 25 fps with minimum graphics settings...

believe me when i tell you, FPS make such a change in the experience with LFS....

later i understand that with keyboard and that stupid PC i wouldnt have a chance, it was dramatic so i stay inactive for long time..

in that long time i was playing with forza series and i realized how much i like racing, i dont care if i lose i just want racing, in real life too i get an old car and start trying to improve my driving (using less steering work, looking how weight transfer helps you to turn faster, and so on)

i even feel LFS harder than the real thing! (you dont feel the G´s, with keyboard there is no feedback from the tyres (literally).

and at the end of 2010 i wanted to become active in lfs because i get a xbox controller and man this experience is so much better than the keyboard, i respect keyboard warrriors but carpian tunnel syndrome is right at the corner if you always use keyboard

and my goal this year is getting a g27 but i was waiting for S3 to buy that combo (g27+S3), S3 seems like never will be released
Ahh, okay, fair point.

And yeah, the S3 release doesn't seem like something worth holding our breath for. :P Hell, when I bought LFS, I bought it thinking the developers were done updating it with new content. Just because S2 had been around for so long.
yess!!!!!! i have good news!! i made it!! 34 secs using RACE S!! it was during racing in AA server or something like that, i know it could be a little cheating drafting someone but im pretty sure i can do it without drafting...

so just to proof myself i went to the "hotlapping" and with a full tank of gas i managed to get 35´s with the race S setup.

i was trying to record it with fraps but it seems windows 7 requires more Processor power than win xp and it doesnt matter if i have a "decent" graphic card, my processor is limiting my computer performance (fraps is recording at 5 FPS meanwhile i play lfs at 35-70 FPS with the graphics at the max.

i will let you the SPR file and the Setup file because some friends of mine dont have the race S setup (lol)

wow man this is awesome i feel like being used to more advanced setups really improve your driving!!

i will upload one hotlapping but with less gas on the tank (maybe 5%)and pushing it the hardest i can (until my hands hurts) to see what happens, good night!!
Attached files
XFG_RACE_S.set - 132 B - 1665 views
35.54 FULL GAS TANK.spr - 104.3 KB - 264 views
give this setup a try. it's a setup that i have used on many races with great success. the tyres are able to do 60+ laps. my pb with this set is 1:33.730 you might need to tweek the brake power to suit you.
Attached files
XFG_ATC BL.set - 132 B - 998 views
Quote from dadge :give this setup a try. it's a setup that i have used on many races with great success. the tyres are able to do 60+ laps. my pb with this set is 1:33.730 you might need to tweek the brake power to suit you.

wow man that set rules! i mean, i did 34.59 and i still suck at T1 and chicane´s sector, i did not modify the brakes (i kinda suck settings stuff) and yeah is very very good set, i like it very much

thanks very much for the set i think is one of the best i ever test, i want to master it i feel i can do faster than 34 secs laps!!
+1 for server-side control on set-ups.

The configurability of LFS cars is ridiculous. Think about any real life 90w/kg (XFG/XRG level) car with a standard container storing parts so you can tweak brake torque / brake balance / ride height / spring rate / damper rate / ARB rate / steering lock / parallel steering / toe / camber / LSD lock / LSD preload / final drive ratio / gear ratio / ... ... ...
Quote from Keling :+1 for server-side control on set-ups.

The configurability of LFS cars is ridiculous. Think about any real life 90w/kg (XFG/XRG level) car with a standard container storing parts so you can tweak brake torque / brake balance / ride height / spring rate / damper rate / ARB rate / steering lock / parallel steering / toe / camber / LSD lock / LSD preload / final drive ratio / gear ratio / ... ... ...

This is "done" (I don't remember if this is confimed for next patch, or for the next after it). We already know there will be an option on the server config, to choose between real setups (limited options according to car class) or extreme setups (like now)
I'll take ten, because deep down I've always wished I could be a beautiful woman like alone the celebrities, and until now feared I would live my entire life as a humble babe abutting. My life has changed. Thank you.
I think servers can already restrict setups. I've seen them being used in Kart servers running MRT. I think that having those is the funnest way to run races. Sure, there should still be servers that have no restrictions on setup, but not needing to think that I lost b/c of the setup, and trying to beg fellow racers for them and focusing directly on driving style and etiquette... that's just cool.

Not necessarily to the point of totally restricting the exact setup. Changing tire pressure, tyre compound, and maybe a small range of realistic camber would be great. Like spec-races, if I'm not mistaken.

The type of limited racing styles that is already implemented in LFS via limited car choices makes it better than some of the other competitors out there. But again, those games aren't selling to the same audience as LFS.
Quote from GenesisX :I think servers can already restrict setups.

With any legal InSim app - NO.
With some kind of hack - YES.

"stock setups" times
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG