The online racing simulator
Computer help needed
(68 posts, started )
Computer help needed
Since people only like to read the first post in a thread.....

My computer is now fixed. Thanks for the thoughts though folks.

Since many of you folks are pretty computer and network savvy, I'm going to ask for some help....

Have an old Windows XP machine. Recently was working on getting rid of google redirect virus and now can not connect to the internet.

ipconfig at the command prompt gives me this....

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway:

When I hover over the network icon in the taskbar, I have the error....

"Acquiring network address"

And upon trying to repair in the network connections, I get....

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:
Renewing your IP address"

I am at a loss as to what the problem is. I've contacted the ISP of which they were no help other than supposedly it is not a problem on their end.

I have the problem out on bleepingcomputer.com now, but it could be days before I hear anything there. Thought one of you more savvy than I computer folks here could help.

Thanks guys.

Maybe you need new network card drivers? Or your modem's not quite working anymore.
#3 - amp88
How are machines on your (internal) network assigned IP addresses? Manually/DHCP? Has any configuration data changed (router, ex-infected/broken machine etc)?
#4 - arco
Assuming that physically your machine is ok try reinstalling XP, virus's are a pain in the (children present) so it's easier if it's an extra pc just to reinstall.

Feel free, however, to spend as much time as you like troubleshooting
That's just what I did, reinstalled Windows.

Hate doing that because it takes about a week to sort everything out from the Compaq/HP bloatware to reinstalling a ton of stuff to all the updates.

Oh well, lot of work to do.....
#7 - amp88
Quote from mrodgers :That's just what I did, reinstalled Windows.

Hate doing that because it takes about a week to sort everything out from the Compaq/HP bloatware to reinstalling a ton of stuff to all the updates.

Oh well, lot of work to do.....

Ever thought about using software like Acronis True Image to image a fresh, clean install? That way if you ever need to start over again (because of another virus problem or other reason) you effectively only need to copy over an image rather than format, reinstall and spend days getting everything set up right. Obviously you'd still have some updates to apply next time (Windows/other program updates), but you'd have a big head start and you could update the drive image to include the newest updates.
Quote from bunder9999 :should have given this a try... could have saved you a few hours work.

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

Doesn't solve my internet problem. I already got rid of the virus. Just had something happen to the network connection. The post says I had a problem getting the internet back, not getting rid of the virus....

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, I went with Combofix over Kaspersky....
apparently some virus can infect modem routers if you have oneso when windows reinstalled it reinfects it when routers connected(cant say this is definitly true) as was something read of a website
If you are running DHCP, try ipconfig /renew

Tried putting in a static IP address with in your Router's Gateway range.

I.e. 192.168.1.254 = Gateway ( router )
IP Address = 192.168.1.16 for example.

Set subnet and leave DNS blank. Try that?

Also if you have had a virus, go to the following

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC and edit hosts file, make sure no entries are in there. Also check the Proxy settings in I.E, some virus's put an entry in there, and there for you cannot get out.

Internet Options/Connections/Lan Settings

Fordie
Quote from mrodgers :Doesn't solve my internet problem. I already got rid of the virus. Just had something happen to the network connection. The post says I had a problem getting the internet back, not getting rid of the virus....

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, I went with Combofix over Kaspersky....

yeah, combofix should also be able to remove the TDSS/aleuron rootkit, it also checks the hashes of kernel drivers. i used it before successfully on another machine before i knew about the kaspersky scanner.

as for it still not working afterwards, maybe you had more than just TDSS... they like to package viruses together these days.
If u are on Wifi do u need to press the pair button on the router again? if its needed...

Otherwise, Have u stopped all connections in a firewall? I get handshake fails when trying to connect with "block all" selected in Firewall...
Quote from Racer X NZ :Assuming that physically your machine is ok try reinstalling XP, virus's are a pain in the (children present) so it's easier if it's an extra pc just to reinstall.

Feel free, however, to spend as much time as you like troubleshooting

You're an idiot. Reinstalling an operating system should always be the absolute last resort

Issue was probably an infected hosts file in conjunction with the virus changing your network settings under local area connection -> right click / properties.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :You're an idiot. Reinstalling an operating system should always be the absolute last resort

Issue was probably an infected hosts file in conjunction with the virus changing your network settings under local area connection -> right click / properties.

Well, quite frankly since you are calling folks idiots, everyone has it wrong because I've already stated that the computer is fixed, via windows reinstall.

No, it wasn't the host file. No, it wasn't due to a virus. Combofix was run, then the computer could no longer connect to the internet. Thus, virus on computer, internet worked. Virus gone but Combofix was used, Combofix screwed up the internet. It even said it the possibility of not connecting to the internet would happen and how to fix it, but the repair button wouldn't work as Combofix instructions stated.

The Google redirect virus was there for a very very long time. It was easier for me just to click a link in Google, hit ESC when the address appeared, and reload before it redirected, but try explaining to a 37 year old woman to do that.... Thus, I wanted to fix it, but the net went kaput after fixing.

So, before anyone else just reads the first post, I'll say it here and edit the first post..... It is fixed!

Thanks though to all who gave it some thought.
Well done mate

Old windows install, reinstall sorts the problem with minimal messing around.
Guess it depends on weither it's a hobby or a job.
Quote from Racer X NZ :Well done mate

hardly, it's taking the easy way out. it's like buying a new computer just because your hard drive died.
ahhh good old windows xp issues
Quote from Racer X NZ :Well done mate

Whether it's fixed or not, you advised him to basically "get a new PC for a HD failure" as Blunder has already pointed out. My career is IT support and a reinstall is not an option until every other path has been explored.

Go back to spreading bollocks about Radiaion and how we're all going to die because the governement are sending alients to maul us.
So you guys now flame him for taking a easy way out?

Guess what, some people don't have hours and hours of spare time to track down the source of the problem.
He can now play with his kids/wife/guitar and not loose his nerves tracing down the problem.
Ah, what's so easy about losing most of your programs/documents/pictures/how you have your PC set up, combined with (at least for XP) a 3 hour setup time. It's a bitch starting from scratch and believe me I have many times.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Ah, what's so easy about losing most of your programs/documents/pictures/how you have your PC set up, combined with (at least for XP) a 3 hour setup time. It's a bitch starting from scratch and believe me I have many times.

Seriously, since when reinstallation equals to losing all your data? Three hours setup time? That wasn't true even on my 1GHz Thunderbird I had 10 years ago.

Windows has a pretty much flawed design that practically requires reinstallation to solve certain problems like registry fragmentation. There probably was an easier way out in this case, but there is no need for you to go all apeshit about it. He actually might have saved a lot of time because he opted for a solution that has almost 100% guarantee to fix the problem, instead of hours of googling and messing around with things and possibly breaking something else in the process.
Whatever. It was his choice on what to do. I'm not going apeshit it just irritates me when someone tries to give advice and that advice is to reinstall without having even a blind stab and trying to fix the damn thing.
I can speak for myself only, but when I do a reinstall I just install software that is needed for everyday work.
A lot of other software I install as the need for it presents itself.
Also that way I get rid of a lot (relatively) of stuff that I installed, tried and forgot about it which is a bonus.

I just wanted to say it's sometimes quicker to get it working with a reinstall then poke around the issue for god knows how long.
Especially if you have kids who want to use it ASAP.

It's true tho that this problem might have been a quick(ish) fix, but sometimes you just can't be arsed to research it further.

I'm gonna stop rambling now, have a nice weekend. :beer:
I'm loving this now, glad I did just reinstall windows. Yup, definitely the easy way instead of asking a question on the net, waiting until the next day at work to see the answer, trying out when I get home and not have it work, report not working the next day. Following day, whoops, it's the weekend, will have to wait to here another suggestion on Monday, etc. etc....

Definitely going the "easy route" over being able to try one suggestion per day because you have to wait until you get to work to ask was definitely worth it.

Computer help needed
(68 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG