The online racing simulator
G27 - Weak FFB in the middle!
I'd like to ask a question to G27 users, I have bought one 4 weeks ago and I am having some troubles with it, checked the logitech and LFS forums, but I couldn't get a description of what I am experiencing.

First, FFB settings in driver are 100/0/0, no centring spring, I use win7 64bits, I respect wheel turn for each cars in LFS with FFB between 20 and 40 depending on the car. PC's is my business, so OS and drivers are properly installed and optimized. I have tested it with and without profiler (which I normally don't use)...

I have a very weak (almost non-existent) FFB in the middle of the wheel, about 5cm long, it is making two kinds of noises, a peep like a bird signing in the background when moving slowly in that zone (like when you are on the strait and doing small changes of direction), and does clac clac (knocking noise) every time i switch (fast) from left to right.
Ok noise is bad, specially when you invest for that reason, but I could live with it, the problem is that this weak FFB in the middle is becoming a real problem when you have to control the car with fast wheel motions, the steps between strong/weak/strong prevent me from being consistent and often ends up is a spin....I am not talking about a dead zone, there is no dead zone on it, it is just that the FFB don't seems to take effect on that +/- 5cm zone in the middle....

I have tried many settings to try to reduce this, two things seems to work moderately, 1) setting FFB in driver to 105/0/0 which ends up being non linear and 2) use a bit of centring spring which I hate with passion...

Now I was wondering if some of you are experimenting the same thing before I decide to RMA it. I gave it more than 4 weeks time to get use to it and in most cars I am 1,5 sec slower, I am already getting older I can't loose more speed due to the wheel...

I am also having an other strange problem, but I think it is more LFS related, I am loosing the shifter (in car) if I by mistake or not hit the shift+G keys (auto/sequential/shifter) and set it back to shifter, it keeps working in option/controller but not in the car any more, it seems stuck on the sequential. I can manage to regain it with pressing shift+G couples of times and go to pit and spec in a random way... I have to take he time to test this on a fresh LFS install to see if I can reproduce it...

thx for sharing!
Actually (according to a Logitech employee IIRC) setting the force to ~105% makes it act more linear as opposed to the non-linear 100% setting. This lack of forces in the middle of steering is a poor attempt by Logitech to prevent oscillation problems caused by the response lag of the FF motors, and setting the force to > 100% in the profiler counteracts this somewhat.
I can confirm the dead center. I tried it at a friends house, and he has a dead center too.
I can also confirm this at the G25.

I believe it's due 2 cheap engines. You're better off with 1 proper engine.
Quote from AndroidXP :Actually (according to a Logitech employee IIRC) setting the force to ~105% makes it act more linear as opposed to the non-linear 100% setting. This lack of forces in the middle of steering is a poor attempt by Logitech to prevent oscillation problems caused by the response lag of the FF motors, and setting the force to > 100% in the profiler counteracts this somewhat.

THX mate, this makes sense, it also confirmed my test, tho I am not so sure about linearity (more testing to do), it sounds like bad driver to me, bit like we had when the G25 came out...

THX for sharing Bose, I have 2 G25 in working order, one must have more than 400.000kms and still going strong, I never had that much problems controlling the car with it...so I guess I'll always have the option to go back to it ...

I'll wait a driver update and I'll use 105% for the time being, but if the noise increase I will RMA it anyway...
This is actually done intentionally, so no future driver update will "fix" this.
Indeed, Lgoitech added the 15 degree deadzone in the middle on purpose.
Don't tell my wife, looks like I wasted some money again!

BTW the problem with the shifter seems to replicate by others too, was with a friend who owns one too last night and when i asked him to to activate the shifter, he did from it from options and it was not working, he had to do a succession of shift+G go spec then back in pit before he could join with a working shifter in the car, maybe you could test it to see if you get the same result? (something's fishy, but I don't think this is logitech's problem)
Not the problem of the wheel atleast, mine is working fine. What the heck am i doing wrong that i have no complaints about it
It's normal on G25 and G27, it's not a problem that you can fix.
Hi guys! Ive got brand new G27, and it has problems with centering. When I drive rfactor, suddenly in turns the wheel can loose center.
I use Freejrs controller.ini, FFB on max level, newest drivers for logitech.
plz help me
14 months down the road now and the pots from the throttle gave up, so I decided to RMA it. they gave me a new one without even checking the problem..which was cool...

Now for the reason I am back on this topic, I may have had the problem in the centre since day one thinking it was more or less normal, this new wheel has no space in the middle and no knocking noises when you switch from left to right (ffb used to kick in my hand and make the car very unstable in corners when contra steering).

So for the ones who had that problem too, could be an idea to ask for replacement....

Lets hope I get back the few 10's I lost since I had this wheel!
Im getting this atm with my momo racing. Every time i go across dead centre the wheel jumps and grinds like its missing teeth on the gears, Puts me off being rough with it incase it smashes something inside...

Ive had it in bits and theres no damage inside so idk if its a faulty motor or just ffb bugs in the game...

Going to see if they will exchange it even tho its 2 years old lol, It still looks brand new and has only had maybe 10 hours use...
hey Framaris so are you telling us that they fixed that centering problem??? i had a g25 and 18 months later she died on my hands so i got the g27 and that centering thing really ticked me off.... my new g27 is on the way and i do sure hope that problem doesnt exist anymore
I would not say that it is non existent, but for sure a lot less than my first one last year...fingers crossed for you!
thx i have been wondering if i should get a G27 again or the Fanatec GTR3RS, but i know from a couple of buddies that the wheel sometimes doesnt work like it should, so ill stick to the G27 for now

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG