The online racing simulator
Native LFS client for Linux
(28 posts, started )
I didn't write that there is no work to do and don't think that will be ever a native linux version.

Switching to opengl and/or sdl would require at lot of work no doubt and it seems cross plattform has never been a goal of LFS.

But it is just not right that there is no lib for non MS OS's that combines serveral aspects of game programming as dawesdust_12 statet.
More to the point, it's not like DirectX is some kind of uberframework offering the most convenient and complete API for game development. In some respects it's actually rather clumsy and doesn't really provide anything you couldn't get on non-windows platforms.
Depending on how LFS is internally designed, it actually shouldn't be that hard to port it for *NIX platforms. Let's see how that could be done.

3D Engine: Arguably the most time consuming part, however, OpenGL is no worse that Direct3D and the rather simple nature of LFS 3D engine would make the switch quite possible in a reasonable amount of time.
Audio: Just use ALSA if you want to focus on Linux only or OSS to support all sorts of *NIX OSes.
Input/FF: Linux supports a lot of gaming devices natively and programmer can access them through /dev/input/jsX. Same goes for FF.
Networking: LFS uses WinSock (Windows implementation of network sockets) which is very similar to socket implementations found in most *NIX systems, so a very little work would be needed on this ground.

I'm not advocating a *NIX port of LFS here, it's not worth the extra work and LFS runs just fine with WINE, plus maintaining a complex multiplatform source would be rather stressful for just one dev. I just wanted to point out that people are often exaggerating the difficulty of porting. A native dedicated server would be very nice though...
Quote from bunder9999 :only the corporate morons who think paying for support is actually needed.

With RHEL you don't buy only the support. It's their trademark logo etc.
Bunch of BS if you ask me anyway, specially when you have the free version of it in Fedora or CentOS.
But I have a couple of friends who bought it for personal use not even remotely connected to "corporate morons".

But the main point of my post was that the common practice for windoze users is stealing software, while some/many(not willing to argue around that) Linux or OSS users get their software for free and still provide donations to the project that is providing their software.

Just take LFS for example, how many more cracked copies of LFS would we have if you would be able to play a cracked copy online.

Native LFS client for Linux
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG