The online racing simulator
Request for Comment: Ordering of Lead Lap and Lapped Cars
Please respond to this question with your thoughts on this issue:

Would you like to see us implement a rule to sort all lead lap cars ahead of all cars a lap or more down prior to a Safety Car Restart?

If No, please explain why you think things are fine the way it is.

If Yes, please answer the following additional questions:

1: Should this procedure be effective all race, or only after a certain point?

2: Should this be a wave-around of all lapped cars (ie GTAL 2010, Formula 1 a few seasons back), or all lapped cars fall to the back or do a pass through pitlane (or other method - suggestions accepted)

Your comments will be taken into consideration - this idea has been thought about between me and Thilo, but we haven't decided on a way to do it, or if it's even needed - would like the racer's input.
I'd prefer a wave-around rule because it a) keeps more cars in contention, and b) keeps lappers out of the way of the frontrunners' fights. I think if you're a lapper and you're behind all the lead-lap cars you don't get waved around, though (obviously). It would be effective throughout the entire race.

A lot of people won't agree, but this is just my feeling.
No. Especially not on ovals.

Reason: Have a look at the 2010 Kyoto 250. It is door open for everyone to take useless risks and such, since LFS has no proper damage model, so you actually have to get upside down/get extreme suspension damage to get a DNF. Not to mention the fact that some people could actually gain laps from "causing" cautions, and though I do not like thinking some would do that, it could well be a reality you should keep in mind.

The situation is quite different in road courses anyway, since there is no SC unless someone gets stuck/on the roof. But still I don't like the idea of having someone a lap down for the whole race, rejoining the lead lap in a late caution and getting a lucky podium if the last restart turns into chaos or something.

So in the end even if you really want to implement it, I'd say put it on road/street courses only, and only applies it in the first half of the distance or so.
Might be stupid but what if lapped cars get the wavearound at the moment it says "SC in this lap". They'll be half way around the track but atleast they wont be a lap down.
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :No. Especially not on ovals.

Reason: Have a look at the 2010 Kyoto 250. It is door open for everyone to take useless risks and such, since LFS has no proper damage model, so you actually have to get upside down/get extreme suspension damage to get a DNF. Not to mention the fact that some people could actually gain laps from "causing" cautions, and though I do not like thinking some would do that, it could well be a reality you should keep in mind.

The situation is quite different in road courses anyway, since there is no SC unless someone gets stuck/on the roof. But still I don't like the idea of having someone a lap down for the whole race, rejoining the lead lap in a late caution and getting a lucky podium if the last restart turns into chaos or something.

So in the end even if you really want to implement it, I'd say put it on road/street courses only, and only applies it in the first half of the distance or so.

Well would we use IndyCar method, Cars one lap down won't get a lap back (As they did in Formula 1 years ago). They are just sorted behind the lead lap cars. Moreover, the way how restarts work in LFSCART, I see not such a big problem on the Ovals. Unlike Kyoto 250 the Green flies a quater lap before the line, and overtaking before the line is not allowed in any way which streaches the cars out quiet a bit.
#6 - Seb66
I wouldn't mind the wave around on road courses.. but on ovals, hell no (same reason as Yan pointed out)
Wave around on road courses coming to the "1 to go" signal.

None on oval. I didn't have any in the 2009 KY500 and I was able to unlap myself and nearly win. So its possible if you 'deserve' to be on the lead lap.

Oh and if laps to go < 20 then it should be lapped cars moved to the rear. Both on road and oval, but maybe last 10ish laps on road races (maybe a percentage since each track = different laps).
Quote from PMD9409 :Oh and if laps to go < 20 then it should be lapped cars moved to the rear. Both on road and oval, but maybe last 10ish laps on road races (maybe a percentage since each track = different laps).

Agreed.
Yeah, I could live with Phil's proposal. Pretty sensible to me.
-
(R.Kolz) DELETED by R.Kolz : Rubbish..
-
(DeadWolfBones) DELETED by DeadWolfBones : Mistaken comment by Rudi...
Something like giving the wave around to all cars between the leader and the safety car and then putting the other lapped cars at the end of the ensuing line would be cool. (also double file restarts for oval )
Quote from JackDaMaster :(also double file restarts for oval )

no... watch IndyCar, think of Kyoto 250 and you know why.
Quote from TFalke55 :no... watch IndyCar, think of Kyoto 250 and you know why.

Oval restarts for indycar will be fine
I think maybe have lap down cars be given a wave around and then half a lap down on oval (maybe 1/4 a lap down on RC) another SC picks them up, and that way it sperates the field. While a seperate SC is leading the lead lap cars.

Either that or throw the guys a lap down in the rear, as I would be one of them. On ovals I think it should be normal however, so you can fight for that lap back.
Quote from JackDaMaster :Oval restarts for indycar will be fine

no they won't... Indy restarts worked the way we do them: The leader can pace away from T4 or something. The field was streached out. This prevented the "cautions breed cautions" thingy. Now with those double-file restarts the field is close together. It may be like the initial race start, but think of multiple initial race starts throughout the race.

Restarts stay the way they are!

EDIT: ok they have slightly changed (I just was realised that fact by some bird), but they stay the way they are now in the rulebook.
Quote from TFalke55 :no they won't... Indy restarts worked the way we do them: The leader can pace away from T4 or something. The field was streached out. This prevented the "cautions breed cautions" thingy. Now with those double-file restarts the field is close together. It may be like the initial race start, but think of multiple initial race starts throughout the race.

Restarts stay the way they are!

EDIT: ok they have slightly changed (I just was realised that fact by some bird), but they stay the way they are now in the rulebook.

I thought you wanted LFSCART to be realistic? Do the restart how indycar does it!
Quote from Seb66 :I thought you wanted LFSCART to be realistic? Do the restart how indycar does it!

That would go hand in hand with a strict no blocking rule wich would result in a dt as soon as you try to defend your position
nooooooo
Lead cars in front of lapped cars.

Anyone for Lucky Dog?
Either do or don't. If you don't, order them behind the cars that are on the lead lap.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG