The online racing simulator
Quote from Rappa Z :Formula1.com is predicting thunderstorms for all three days at Sepang. This could be fun.

They could have predicted that 3 months ago, that's just how Malaysia works.
Quote from Rappa Z :Formula1.com is predicting thunderstorms for all three days at Sepang. This could be fun.

Sweet!
Quote from pik_d :They could have predicted that 3 months ago, that's just how Malaysia works.

It is when Bernie booked the GP in monsoon season.
15-20 years ago they were racing when there was monsoon (without any safety run off areas or helping system aboard)
now that they have high tech cars and hundrets of meter run off areas they stop a session because of monsoon
I believe it's because cars rely more on downforce, therefore more suseptable to aquaplaning, I could be wrong though, although the modern F1 driver does need to grow some more balls. Complaining that a race is unsafe because it's wet though chances are nobody will die due to a crash in modern Formula One, especially not in the wet.

Annoying when previous F1 seasons, potential world champions and race winners died and drivers evaded death at every race.
Quote from BlueFlame :I believe it's because cars rely more on downforce, therefore more suseptable to aquaplaning, I could be wrong though, although the modern F1 driver does need to grow some more balls. Complaining that a race is unsafe because it's wet though chances are nobody will die due to a crash in modern Formula One, especially not in the wet.

Annoying when previous F1 seasons, potential world champions and race winners died and drivers evaded death at every race.

I think with higher levels of down force aquaplaning becomes less likely, although there always comes a point when the tyres simply cannot clear the water fast enough.

Imo the levels of danger in heavy rain increase not because of the chances of a single car going off at a corner increasing, but because the chances of multiple "offs" at the same place or in an unusual place increase, whilst visibility decreases. It suddenly looks a bit sketchy when you get car after car flying off at the same corner, whilst other drivers are there climbing out of their own stricken cars.
Quote from sinbad :
Imo the levels of danger in heavy rain increase not because of the chances of a single car going off at a corner increasing, but because the chances of multiple "offs" at the same place or in an unusual place increase, whilst visibility decreases. It suddenly looks a bit sketchy when you get car after car flying off at the same corner, whilst other drivers are there climbing out of their own stricken cars.

That's a damn good point actually. The tracks need more drainage formations, kind of retarded, Sepang is probably a definate WET RACE given its current calander status, and the ammount of standing water is unbelievable.
http://en.espnf1.com/china/mot ... ry/45956.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Quote :The FIA has announced the DRS zone for the Chinese Grand Prix, allocating a section of the back straight between turns 13 and 14.

The straight is the second longest in Formula One, and in order to prevent overtaking becoming too easy, drivers will not be allowed to activate the DRS until a point that is 0.56 miles from turn 14, while the full length of the straight is actually 0.73 miles. The detection point to measure the gap between drivers is located in turn 12.

That DRS thingy is getting slightly ridiculous. Putting it on a straight 900 meters section is quite excessive IMO.
As the straight follows quite a fast corner (out of a slower corner admittedly), it might be that the longer DRS zone is only just enough to get a car up to the back of the one in front by the braking point. We just have to wait and see. The FIA have a bit more data than we do.
Overtakes after long straights are pretty dull and unimaginative at the best of times. DRS + long straight = shite pointless racing. Like Nascar, but without the credibility.
Why don't they allow the DRS on the back straight aswell as the front straight aswell? Who said it should only be used once a lap in the race?
Quote from JPeace :Better than no overtaking at all imo, I do think that they should keep it the same and leave it up to the drivers to get onto the back of the car infront for some pretty mega moves into that first corner!

I'd rather have no overtaking at all than specific devices to increase overtaking. An overtake in an 'FIA Overtaking Zone' is not worthy of note for me. May as well have the guy in front lift off and let the guy by at the FIA's instruction. It would have saved money and resources on some silly rear wing flap that's actually quite difficult to get working correctly.

Certainly quite a lot of polls suggest that most fans enjoyed the changes. Though that could be just due to the fact that fans who enjoyed the changes are more likely to visit F1 sites and register their vote.

If you have devices to increase overtaking that are outside of the driver's full control you may as well take the human out and put a computer chip in the car instead.
i like the DRS. because F1 cars eat up ground so fast, a 1km straight only takes seconds to do. the DRS decreases the time required to be able to make a pass. i also think that reducing the amount of downforce the front wings creates should be reduced. if it were narrower, then we'd also see less front wing damage. a smaller front wing with less surface area would make f1 cars more passable imo. but until that happens, we have to stick with FIA Wacky Races. i can't wait for them to introduce ejector seats and fricking lazer beams!
also, imo the DRS should not be allowed during qually. i feel that we're not getting an accurate representation of true race pace any more. and what's with all the buttons on the steering wheels. there should be a ban on having more than 4 buttons on your wheel. pit, radio, brake balance and wing adjust.
Does it matter? The technicians will know how a qualy time translates to race pace, the DRS doesn't make much of a difference when they have to put the whole mass worth of Titanic into the fuel tanks.
Quote from Intrepid :I'd rather have no overtaking at all than specific devices to increase overtaking. An overtake in an 'FIA Overtaking Zone' is not worthy of note for me. May as well have the guy in front lift off and let the guy by at the FIA's instruction. It would have saved money and resources on some silly rear wing flap that's actually quite difficult to get working correctly.

Certainly quite a lot of polls suggest that most fans enjoyed the changes. Though that could be just due to the fact that fans who enjoyed the changes are more likely to visit F1 sites and register their vote.

If you have devices to increase overtaking that are outside of the driver's full control you may as well take the human out and put a computer chip in the car instead.

The guy in front knows that the guy behind will be able to use his DRS if he's close enough, so he has to pull a gap before the DRS activation line. This adds another element of drama and strategy to the racing, and that's cool with me. Take Webber, for example, at Sepang... no KERS, so he had to struggle twice as hard to pull a gap to prevent someone like Kobayashi from overtaking him with the DRS. Some of the best/most exciting action of the weekend, IMO.
My head goes numb at the term 'activation line'. It's a bit pathetic. It's not racing, it's a show.

You may as well use a technique often used in simulations to handicap drivers that get too far in front. You could limit car's revs or something like that. The further ahead you get the less revs you have to play with. It would certainly make the raci... sorry I mean 'show' more interesting and dramatic.
Quote from Intrepid :My head goes numb at the term 'activation line'. It's a bit pathetic. It's not racing, it's a show.

You may as well use a technique often used in simulations to handicap drivers that get too far in front. You could limit car's revs or something like that. The further ahead you get the less revs you have to play with. It would certainly make the raci... sorry I mean 'show' more interesting and dramatic.

You're more than welcome to turn off your TV and not watch it.
Quote from DevilDare :You're more than welcome to turn off your TV and not watch it.

I do plan too. Just wish I didn't still have to pay for it though.

Doesn't stop be being annoyed by the cack changes to a once fascinating spectacle.
You don't have to pay for it. It's entirely optional.

And as stated in the commentary, the whole car is an overtaking device. The DRS is just one aspect of it.
Personally I'm not all that big fan of the drs but imho having drs is much better than having a situation like in abu dhabi when clearly faster driver has no chance making a pass.

Sure, the racing in malaysia was a bit artificial at times and seeing tschumcher and kobiaseh just changing back and forth like in some nascar superspeedway race was fun at first but got repetitive and predictable quick too.

Imho an option worth considering is to think about should the drs even be used on every circuit? Malaysia doesn't really need it. Neither does spa, brazil, canada and monza. And for some tracks like abi dhabi, hungary, spain, monaco and silverstone need it more than we need air to breath. On those tracks you could just make it that the time is measured on last turn and then on the whole next lap you could use drs for one overtake attempt at any chosen place.
Quote from tristancliffe :
And as stated in the commentary, the whole car is an overtaking device. The DRS is just one aspect of it.

Yea but in the days of Jimmy Clark, Lorenzo Bandini, Pedro Rodriguez and Graham Hill, they didn't even have AERO, funnily enough, many people say this was the best period of F1. You don't need DRS or KERS as an 'overtaking tool' Back in the old days, a driver could get it done with three pedals a shifter and a wheel ONLY. Non of this, differential mapping bullshit you see on the wheels nowadays. Maybe that's the problem, they have too many dials to twiddle over the distance of a race, they forget that they are actually paid to race.

I mean cmon, Jim Clark was only human, and HE could overtake with less things at his disposal. Maybe that';s the problem with modern F1, there's too many variables, too many diff settings, engine map settings, clutch settings etc...

It's no wonder Ayrton Senna said karting was pure racing, you only have pedals and a wheel, which is all you need.......

Formula One Season 2011
(1339 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG