The online racing simulator
Demo Nickname ownership
(17 posts, started )
Demo Nickname ownership
Hi all,

Since there are many retards on demo servers I encountered a stupid problem... guy started using my nick...

Now, I guess there is no way to connect my nick with my username?

Is something like that possible if I buy the game? or can anyone use anyone elses nick?
#2 - Bean0
The visible name can be anything, you can even have a server full of people with exactly the same displayed name.

If you hold down CTRL+Shift, you will see the account name, this is unique.
Quote from Bean0 :[...] you can even have a server full of people with exactly the same displayed name.

Normally, that is the case; but after having a look at sabbathian's online history, it seem that he's mostly on [AA] and [MRc] servers; these run Airio and AFAIK it won't allow two users to use the same "Driver Name" at a given instance...

---

Unfortunately this won't be sorted even if you buy the game; I use the Drive name "Silver" and I've been auto-kicked by Airio upon connecting when someone else was using Silver at that time...

However, unlike in demo servers, people are less likely to impersonate you or "steal" your driver name.
Quote from Silverracer :Normally, that is the case; but after having a look at sabbathian's online history, it seem that he's mostly on [AA] and [MRc] servers; these run Airio and AFAIK it won't allow two users to use the same "Driver Name" at a given instance...

It happened on [MRc] server... so its obviously possible to have two users with same "Driver Name" over there...

Now I`m back to driving only on [AA] servers... never had any problems there, and usually there are faster and more normal drivers on those servers (Demo FBM and Blackwood FBM)
Normally, LFS itself does not allow two people with the same nickname connected to one server, it says something like "nickname is already in use" and stops connecting. Some crashers are cheating though, using various tricks to get a nickname that looks exactly like some other one. The usual tricks include [removed] or using a special empty character instead of space. The second case can be detected by Airio and the renaming/connecting driver can be kicked for doubled nickname. Additionally it is possible to prohibit any doubled nicknames, so that people are kicked if they use a nick that is already stored in Airio stats. But this is a rather controversial feature, as there would be too many kicks for using general nicknames just as Joe or Nick, so the feature is by default disabled.
Quote from EQ Worry :Additionally it is possible to prohibit any doubled nicknames, so that people are kicked if they use a nick that is already stored in Airio stats. But this is a rather controversial feature, as there would be too many kicks for using general nicknames just as Joe or Nick, so the feature is by default disabled.

So, can AA admins "connect" my nickname with my username? My nickname is definitely not "general", cause it is based on my username and country I`m from (Sabba - CRO)... so in case someone else tries to connect with that nickname gets kicked out?

Guess that this feature is general, so it can`t be applied only on one user? (who is loosing his nerves because of some stupid kid who has nothing else to do but provoke others... btw... jerking off was much more fun for me when I was a kid
Indeed, anyone can connect using your nickname, there's no practical way to reserve it for yourself. What is truly yours is the registered username.

Oh, the question was different, I see now. No, we cannot create such a connection now, though it may be a good new Airio feature to be implemented.
Quote from EQ Worry :Oh, the question was different, I see now. No, we cannot create such a connection now, though it may be a good new Airio feature to be implemented.

Sure would... just imagine someone started using your nickname... started crashing, voting people for no reason, talking trash... and other drivers only remember your nickname... and I have pretty good reputation among other drivers...
Maybe best would be to allow people to register their names themselves... Certainly doable, with some restrictions...
If we all have unique user names... why are nicknames needed? OK, you can write something cool in different colours... IMHO - username = nickname... simple and effective....
[QUOTE][QUOTE=sabbathian;1573256]If we all have unique user names... why are nicknames needed?QUOTE][/QUOTE]Well... for example, one day I feel like Justin Bieber, another day I feel like Barack Obama and when I feel like myself it's just Speedy J

But seriously; there are certain nickname requirements for leage races, so that makes it also necessary to be able to change nickname (driving for a team, changing team or driving individual when not driving in team are possibilities).

And like Silver says, not common on S1 or S2, so :bullwhip: move on
Quote from sabbathian :If we all have unique user names... why are nicknames needed?

Cause [FIN]

iRacing's name system is IMO good but it wouldnt work in LFS
Quote from sabbathian :If we all have unique user names... why are nicknames needed? OK, you can write something cool in different colours... IMHO - username = nickname... simple and effective....

A lot of leagues enforce a specific format driver name, eg 26 - S. Baker
Quote from EQ Worry :Normally, LFS itself does not allow two people with the same nickname connected to one server, it says something like "nickname is already in use" and stops connecting.

Are you sure of this? Tried a few times, you can do it without problem, as long as you change name before entering in the server.

On other hand it doesn't seem to work if you rename yourself after getting on the server, it indeed says "nickname is already in use".
Hm, well, I'm not 100% sure what an "equal nickname" would be, but I still believe having the same nickname as someone else on the server is not allowed by LFS. Hm, but maybe it applies only to demo servers? Maybe some left-over from the times when demo users cannot register?
Quote from EQ Worry :Hm, but maybe it applies only to demo servers?

Maybe, haven't bothered trying on S2 yet.
#17 - kdo
its for all servers

Demo Nickname ownership
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG