The online racing simulator
NFS Shift 2 Unleashed
(219 posts, started )
Is there any way to play this game on lan? I really want to do 1x1 with my brother with no lag
I hate the menu navigation!!!!

Why are there 2 layers of buttons - when simple arrow keys could have sufficed.
I kept trying to press the symbols on the screen, which are just pics....
console interface, that's what it is.
Just received my review copy and tried to go online in a server, but it was like I was in a demo server or something, everyone crashing like hell...

The performance is also quite poor for me which makes me unable to enjoy it alot.
Quote from Bose321 :Just received my review copy and tried to go online in a server, but it was like I was in a demo server or something, everyone crashing like hell...

The performance is also quite poor for me which makes me unable to enjoy it alot.

I expected a lot of crashers on online servers tbh
Well duh ofc online is full of stupid kids crashing. Only ways to get em out are active admins or monthly cost like iRacing
I only drive stock cars in Shift2.

For that matter, it might not be that physically accurate, but the atmosphere and an actual feel for speed makes up for it.

Also, imma leavin' this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9LdqRdvpMg
Quote from Tom Servo :I only drive stock cars in Shift2.

For that matter, it might not be that physically accurate, but the atmosphere and an actual feel for speed makes up for it.

Also, imma leavin' this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9LdqRdvpMg

Great video, I love the combination of external and internal cams and absence of "cool tune" in the background. Thanks for sharing!
Quote from JJ72 :A little video I made about the steering lag issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld0SFWOgorM

I have the same lag that you have on that video, it freaking annoyed me to ragequit at first but then, after switching to hoodview it became bearable, at least i didn't see the other wheel moving anymore. The second thing that made me ragequit yesterday (haven't launched game anymore since) was Lotus Elise... i think i need to start visiting gym again to keep that car on track on straights (without breaking a sweat), i felt like driving with a boat tbh at some points, i hope that not all faster cars are floaty like that :worried:
I can live with the steering lag, but it's the poor performance that makes it unbearable for me, I just can't understand how it runs so poor...
Why did both of Eero Piitulainen's previous sims, Driver's Republic and Richard Burns rally, both have pretty good force feedback, while Shift 1 and 2 have pretty lame ffb ?
Quote from Gabkicks :My framerates in most games get cut in half if I have firefox running.

here are a few things to try out :
http://www.overclock.net/ati/9 ... e-fixes.html#post12952722

Tried that. It helped alot, but it's still not smooth enough for me.
Quote from Gabkicks :Why did both of Eero Piitulainen's previous sims, Driver's Republic and Richard Burns rally, both have pretty good force feedback, while Shift 1 and 2 have pretty lame ffb ?

Did you try any mods? (I believe Shift 1 mods should work too)
Here's a mod that reduces the time tires react to controller input. For whatever reason, there's a delay set up in the physics engine. It also comes with an older dinput8.dll, that doesn't do input lag. Both result in way better handling and less wobble. The wheel in the cockpit also pretty much turns with my actual one in realtime now (there's a teensy weeny delay due to triple buffering).

http://www.virtualr.net/need-f ... andling-minimod-released/
I just played it for like 5 minutes. The menu is pretty cool i guess and i guess the first seat i got put in for a tutorial type race was pretty sexy. But that's where the fun ended.

Using keyboard (DFP finally broke for good) the input lag was tremendous. Probably a entire second and a half holding on to a button it takes for the car to do whatever you want. I literally tried to stabilize the car on the straight as the game lets you take over and it took ages for the input to go through so the car would stop hugging the pit wall.

In general the whole thing just feels weird. Feels like a 5 ton hovercraft. Sure I'm judging from 5 minutes gameplay, but the fact that I'm turned off in the first 5 minutes when i should be asking for more. Gonna head over to Nogrip and or VirtualR to see what they're cooking up to fix this junk. It's almost like they release these things half baked because they know the extremists of the sim community will go and take it upon their selves to fix stuff for the consumers.

Oh well as i read on GTplanet last night in a "stance/hellaflush" GT5 photo thread by a bunch of people, "I just bought the game to make pretty pictures and make even prettier cars". Time to scour for savegames
I tried it earlier and the input lag makes it unplayable. The physics isn't TOO bad, but the input lag just ruins it for me.
I never noticed input lag...

Anyways, the game is pretty enjoyable - when it comes to racing. It feels a bit unrealistic at times (f.e. I'm hittinga corner at a normal speed, entering it works like a charm, but as I try to exit it, I have to countersteer); Also the FFB is really not good - But that could be because I have to use the G27 preset. The g25 one doesn't work, because ea was so wise to not set the accelerator on the right pedal, and not making me able to change buttons at all.

BUT, the big but, is drifting. I've never seen such bullcrap in my life. There is absolutely no grip, but sometimes the car still grips a bit and turns into the other direction. Also, Wheelspin while starting from 4th gear a Nissan 240SX? RIGHT, way to go EA.
to bumo this thread: Bought Shift 2, and I do like it. While it's nowhere near a sim, it has two things that I hope we'll see in real sims in the future:

Visible marbles and flexible cars. If you look at the rear view mirror and the screen wiper, you'll see how they flex, which is quite neat, especially since it isn't done in an overly exagerated way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvU-eFnumf0
Nice videos, you can't affect that I know but there's really nothing to see on that night video. It's just some random lights coming from darkness over and over again. I like the day part, next time turn off the hud in cockpit for more atmosphere.
The graphics are unquestionable, awesome, probably the best ever seen in a racing videogame, but sadly they're useless when the control is soooo bad...
whats wrong with the control?

NFS Shift 2 Unleashed
(219 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG