The online racing simulator
User community tracks
(18 posts, started )
#1 - gnrnr
User community tracks
The ability for the user community to generate new tracks simialr to ARMA's community with vreation of new islands.

I'm probably not the first to suggest this though. I'd really like to the Winton Racway track, both long and short circuits.
It has been suggested before, and it will not happen. The devs want to work on the game in their own way, which does not include community made content (tracks / cars).
#3 - daub
How about, if we provide all possible kind of material (maps, photos, gps measured elevations etc.) to help them create a track. Would that be suitable for them? I know I could to that for one town-track, that is just public roads, closed for racing events.
Just a thought.
Quote from daub :How about, if we provide all possible kind of material (maps, photos, gps measured elevations etc.) to help them create a track. Would that be suitable for them? I know I could to that for one town-track, that is just public roads, closed for racing events.
Just a thought.

Quote from Not Sure :It has been suggested before, and it will not happen. The devs want to work on the game in their own way, which does not include community made content (tracks / cars).

"Not Sure" made a good comment. User community tracks are not coming. (Yet)
isn't autocross user-made material?
Quote from bunder9999 :isn't autocross user-made material?

well it aint user-made tracks.. its just one track which u can change layout on
i really dont want lfs to turn into rfactor!!!!!!!!!!! please!!!! if there is modding, only allow car replacement mods.
Quote from chavm481 :i really dont want lfs to turn into rfactor!!!!!!!!!!! please!!!! if there is modding, only allow car replacement mods.

LFS and rfactor are 2 totally different games. LFS can never turn into rfactor just because there are allowed track/car/w.e mods. It would just be better to add the tracks for MP use with some sort of approving system or just follow the example of the game "Halo" and make Custom Edition of LFS. Everyone was against the car mods too before it actually happened in a good way, and then the whole community couldn't stop speaking about it.. It's like you're all first saying "no I don't want this to become rfactor" and then "oh see how good this is we should have more...", "how do you make them? let us know so we can make some too" etc etc... I'm sure that if a user(somehow) makes a new track for offline use the whole community will go crazy again and would want more and more. Imo you don't really want it until you see it.

/me puts his anti-fire suit.
you can't just copy a real track
they (the track owners) want to see money for that
you have to buy the rights!
Quote from swingkid :you can't just copy a real track
they (the track owners) want to see money for that
you have to buy the rights!

How many of the track creators for GTR/rFactor/whatever care about that?
Or how many of the track owners do?
Quote from khoianh94 :How many of the track creators for GTR/rFactor/whatever care about that?

True, but in LFS the tracks would have to be approved by devs/mods, which means that they'd have to be included actually in the game.

Here it's track owners vs the devs [who will earn money from the tracks] not track owner vs spotty american using Bob's track builder.
Or the community could make fictional tracks, or fictional street circuits using real roads. Here is a good forum for user designed tracks, including some of my not so good creations.
One question - if car specifications and other details in memory can be altered (ala Bob's NASCAR mod) - could a track be temporary created for use in LFS? Obviously, it would have to be temporary and track textures etc would have to be created, but could it be done?
Quote from khoianh94 :How many of the track creators for GTR/rFactor/whatever care about that?

How many of those mods cost money to download? If someone is recreating a track for no cost and giving it to the public for no cost or profit, then the track owners don't really have the right to go crazy do they? If the developers make Silverstone and Brans Hatch and then make a lot of money as a result of that, the track owners are gonna want some money from it.
any news
is it changed something about it ?
are now users allowed to create their own tracks for multiplayer races ?

thanks in advance
ciao
Apart from Autocross layouts, no. And I doubt it's in the developpers' next few years plans.
Quote from mcintyrej :How many of those mods cost money to download? If someone is recreating a track for no cost and giving it to the public for no cost or profit, then the track owners don't really have the right to go crazy do they? If the developers make Silverstone and Brans Hatch and then make a lot of money as a result of that, the track owners are gonna want some money from it.

Well, technically they still can issue cease and desist orders, but very few would take any real legal action against those not gaining profit from it. Just don't put any Tommy Bahama logos on anything... I remember a case back in the SCGT days at Speedsims where a user was working on creating the Tommy Bahame sponsored Qvale Mangusta Trans-Am car and the company (Tommy Bahama, simply the sponsor of the car!) chased him down and there was some legal nonsense for it... I don't recall how it all ended, though I'm 99% sure the car was never released, sadly.

It really all depends on how anal the company/organisation who owns the rights is. Some are worse than others. Daytona was historically bad, which is why it wasn't included in the earlier NASCAR Racing games (I believe even modders were ordered to stop production/distribution of user-created versions of it even, similar to the Tommy Bahama case above). On the other end, we're getting Rockingham in LFS and IIRC Scawen once said that they would only include licensed content if there was no money exchange between the parties (in either direction) so they may have gotten the rights to the track for free, in a game you have to pay for. That's pretty unprecedented.

ISI Require licensing to SELL a real track in their sim...

COMMUNITY MODES WHICH ARE FREE - cannot be licensed, and therefore cannot be sold ( unless they get a license ) ..... and thus - real life tracks made by modders exist.

However - modders (unlike sim devs ) also have no association to the actual track owners or logos. And it is a good practice to note a non-association in a release as well - to avoid risk.

SIm Devs - once a licensing term exists , would be required to note association as well as logos, and chances are that they could be paying a portion of their revenue....

On the bright side - some devs get lucky when dealing with unknown tracks - as the tracks would consider it as free advertisement and therefore often not charge licensing fees and such.

User community tracks
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG