The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from nisskid :you counted downforce, but you didnt count turbulence and drag.

dropping your car can reduce the car's vertical footprint in the air so to speak. air doesnt just flow underneath a car linearly, it's usually quite turbulent and can cause drag.

See this is what I'm thinking; Sure it may produce more downforce due to there being an increased low pressure zone, causing it to slip under the car faster than it did before. But in the end there is still far less turbulence because of the amount of air going under the car; and because of the increase in speed of air underneath, it doesn't allow turbulence, and creates pockets for the air to flow more directly.

That is my idea at least
Quote from nisskid :cage looks alright, but holes in frame supports look like just holes, not dimple dies? am i seeing right?

Ye mate, they just holes
Dunno what exact material they are but they just don't bend that easy
Ford made a fantastic little engine with their 1.8 N/A diesel. With nothing but tick over it was able to pull Vanessa up a rutted hilly dirt track. DIESEL POWA!

Can you tell I had nothing to do today?
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Ford made a fantastic little engine with their 1.8 N/A diesel. With nothing but tick over it was able to pull Vanessa up a rutted hilly dirt track. DIESEL POWA!

Unless somebody let it idle at over 2000 rpm that's a very long first gear.
Quote from 5tag :Unless somebody let it idle at over 2000 rpm that's a very long first gear.

It is a very short first gear, ~20mph is where it tops out. No idea what it idles at as I don't have a tac, but it is standard 1.8D, so I'd assume ~500-700rpm.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Ford made a fantastic little engine with their 1.8 N/A diesel. With nothing but tick over it was able to pull Vanessa up a rutted hilly dirt track. DIESEL POWA!

Interesting but not overly exciting
Has anyone here ever made a rear diffuser before?
Yes everyday, sometimes even 3 times a day.
Quote from XCNuse :Has anyone here ever made a rear diffuser before?

Excuse me for asking, but your car is an FWD hatch, that you use for driving on the street? Why on earth do you need a diffuser?!

If it's just for looks, i'm sure there's aftermarket stuff already available? Or you could do your own design.

If you want to improve something with it, IMO, better save the money.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :It is a very short first gear, ~20mph is where it tops out. No idea what it idles at as I don't have a tac, but it is standard 1.8D, so I'd assume ~500-700rpm.

From my experience, that's a long first gear, in non-performance road car terms at least.
Quote from BlueFlame :From my experience, that's a long first gear, in non-performance road car terms at least.

20mph in first is long?!

My old Fiesta 1.6 used to be able to do well over 30 in first, then shift straight to 5th, they were some pretty close ratios!
My old nova used to do about 35 in 1st, just over 65 in 2nd, about 95 in 3rd and went off the clock in 4th, although that may have been because i replaced the blown up 1200 lump with a suitably tweaked 1400 engine, with a decent rejetted twin choke weber, and left it on the std 1.2 4 speed box, god that thing used to rip
Quote from BlueFlame :From my experience, that's a long first gear, in non-performance road car terms at least.

What cars have you driven?

As with all diesels first gear is ludicrously short, because it is a rolling gear. Once you get moving you're supposed to slip it into second. When in an unladen vehicle it seems pointless, but once some weight is in the back it means you don't torture the clutch.
My 1.6l Focus does 30-35mph in first, so 20mph definitely isn't long! (I'd asume it's the same engine/gearbox combo that pb32000 had in his Fiesta.)
They all have the same IB5 gearbox, my van has that box, but it is the gearing inside which is different.
Come to think of it guys, I don't think I ever went full throttle until the rev limiter in first gear, so my point was invalid.
I do it all the time in my car.
pff thats normal everyday driving to me
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I do it all the time in my car.

You've gotta eat through tires on that thing then. I can't go full throttle in 1st. Either the car doesn't go anywhere once I get past 2500 rpm because of the TC (which the tires still spin) or the car just sits and lights the tires up without the TC.

It's 2nd gear that I give it the go juice. Even then, the tires will start to spin when I reach above 2500 rpm half the time. They are pretty dang sticky tires too. I don't know how it will keep from spinning when I finally get some reasonably priced tires that will go in the rain.
Quote from BlueFlame :Come to think of it guys, I don't think I ever went full throttle until the rev limiter in first gear, so my point was invalid.

I'm sure that didn't come as a surprise to many.
Quote from jibber :If it's just for looks, i'm sure there's aftermarket stuff already available? Or you could do your own design.

There isn't a single aftermarket diffuser that has been made for our cars; there is one for the mazdaspeed3, but it is ugly and just replaces parts.

As far as functionality goes.. it at least covers the gaping hole we call the underside of the bumper. I wouldn't be surprised by any means if it helped just some.

made the template but having a few tiny problems with it; just because A the template was made for putting a texture on it in a 3d program; not spread out perfectly into a 2d shape.

As you can see, there is something holding the outside part down, not sure what yet, but it clearly isn't lining up with the bumper either so either way it has to get redone. I just put it together and didn't have my car near me so I wasn't constantly checking it.

So for anyone that has made one.. have any tips or anything on how to go about making a mold for something like this?
i havent made one,only modified mine to fit. but to hold it to your bumper you'll need to make brackets from plastic at least if not aluminium. it wont be easy thats for sure.just coz u prolly dont want holes in your bumper right?
Quote from XCNuse :So for anyone that has made one.. have any tips or anything on how to go about making a mold for something like this?

Google search how to make a mold out of fibreglass.
Quote from BlueFlame :Come to think of it guys, I don't think I ever went full throttle until the rev limiter in first gear, so my point was invalid.

It's OK. We all know none of your advice is tainted by experience.
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG