The online racing simulator
I love the Italians
Quote :
"In order to avoid the slightest risk of anyone confusing a Formula 1 car with a pick-up truck, for their part, the men from Maranello have decided that the car will lose the F that precedes the number 150 and which stands for Ferrari, as it has done on numerous occasions when it's come to giving a car a code name, be it for the race track or the road.
"It appears that this could have caused so much confusion in the minds of the consumer across the Pond that, at the same time as losing the F, the name will be completely Italianised, replacing the English 'th' with the equivalent Italian symbol.
"Therefore the name will now read as the Ferrari 150° Italia, which should make it clear even to the thickest of people that the name of the car is a tribute to the anniversary of the unification of our country."

Well yeah, basically "Eat this, you dumb Americans"?
Quote from Swiss-Spirit :Well yeah, basically "Eat this, you dumb Americans"?

Well, in this instance, they're right...
I'm extremely far from being a fan of the usual Ferrari arrogance, but I have to say they are spot on with that one
yep that just about sums things up
Ferrari could have at least made the effort to choose a different font when they designed the original logo. That was bad. And I wouldn't want my trucks confused with Ferrari, though someone would have to be incredibly dumb to do so.
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :And I wouldn't want my trucks confused with Ferrari, though someone would have to be incredibly dumb to do so.

Well, sure... Though I would've understood if the name Ferrari "copied" was an original and researched one, but afterall "F150" is just an initial followed by a certain number, it's just being thick to claim rights on that IMO.

You're right on the fonts though, they're pretty similar actually.
Volvo C30 and Sauber C30 has the same name too, but I can't hear Volvo whining their arse off "ITS A COPIED NAME OF OUR SHITCAR!!!!11 DIE !!!!11!1eleven"
Quote from GreyBull [CHA] :Well, sure... Though I would've understood if the name Ferrari "copied" was an original and researched one, but afterall "F150" is just an initial followed by a certain number, it's just being thick to claim rights on that IMO.

The list is pretty endless when it comes to car names that are just initials and numbers. They're as entitled to protect those names as any actual word they might choose.

If it was on a Chinese truck it would be clear why they're bothered. If they register and protect a name, then nobody else can use it for anything else related in any way to that product. No doubt there are vacuum cleaners called F150 etc etc, but anything with an F150 name within the automotive industry is related enough to the Ford F150, even an Italian Formula One car, it seems.
Quote from Lible :Why not?

Ford has worked incredibly hard to establish the F150 name (and the rest of the F series) as the best truck that money can buy. Any small bit of confusion with a Ferrari is the completely wrong image. Plus Ford is American, which is a fairly big deal among their target market. I would not want my truck to in any way be perceived as Italian.

And that image is worth an incredibly large sum of money to Ford, both now and in the future.

I wouldn't want image to in any way be damaged by a racing car. Who knows what will happen during the upcoming season in the eternal circus that F1 has become?

Also, Ferrari are a bunch of ****.

In the case of the Volvo C30, I don't think the portrayed images of the two cars are as wildly opposing. And C30 isn't an iconic name like F150 is. And the logos probably aren't the exact same. But Volvo would likely have a legal case on some level.
The last thing I can say about that funny affair... Why the hell didn't Scavier sue Red Bull when they released their RB4 a few years ago... I mean, some people could well mix up a virtual sedan with a F1 car
Quote from TexasLTU :Volvo C30 and Sauber C30 has the same name too, but I can't hear Volvo whining their arse off "ITS A COPIED NAME OF OUR SHITCAR!!!!11 DIE !!!!11!1eleven"

Yeah. Do you know why the C?

Btw: Sauber has ALWAYS named his cars with a C, starting with the C1 who's been a modified Beetle I think - And that over 30 years ago. Has the Volvo C30 already existed then?
What's an F150?
Quote from Swiss-Spirit :Yeah. Do you know why the C?

From the name of his wife.

Quote :Btw: Sauber has ALWAYS named his cars with a C, starting with the C1 who's been a modified Beetle I think. And that over 30 years ago.

It was actually a proto he built himself in order to compete in regional hill climb events.

And it wasn't less than 41 years ago - amazing how the man climbed the motorsports ladder over the years, and still managed to maintain his F1 team alive for so long.
I know Yann, Christiane's the name btw.

Oh, and you're right with the C1, but the first car he ever laid his hands on was a VW Bettle he then tuned, even though he wasn't that interested though.

Sauber won a title in the C1, aswell as Herbert Müller in a C2 I think, also in the hillclimb.
Quote from Swiss-Spirit :I know Yann, Christiane's the name btw.

Oh, ok. Wasn't quite sure about it

I know you knew(especially since it is a rather well known fact), kinda took the question as a real one on purpose.
Damn arabians.. U could have watched f-1 this week
We would have been bored to death after another dull race, and everyone would have ranted for a few weeks on how shite F1 has become and how the new ruleset is bad. And at least everyone now knows how far Bahrein is from being a democracy.

So yea, not too bad to begin the season with an interresting track.
I lol'd

"McLaren confirms the extreme nose on the car is a test-only measuring device for 'long-term development purposes'. It won't be raced."

Good thing
and the award for nose cone that looks most like Donald Duck goes to...
Isn't long-term development purposes more like get more media responses? :-)
Apparently they're trying to work out how RBR get such big wing flex.
Quote from J@tko :Apparently they're trying to work out how RBR get such big wing flex.

It does look that way.
Yeah, I thought the same, when they are trying these crazy things it must mean they are desperate for some performance, most likely trying to copy redbulls 0.00001m off the ground front wing :P

Formula One Season 2011
(1339 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG