system requirements
(35 posts, started )
system requirements
I'm going to buy a new desktop specially for playing lfs ...
right now i'm using a toshiba nb100, 1.6Ghz, 2GB ram, intel gma950
so i get really low fps specially on starting grid with more then 2 cars (between 2 and 8 fps)

I dont play other games, just lfs
and i want to have at least 20 fps on a full starting grid

what does lfs demands more? cpu or graphic cards?
is it multithreaded?
is it going to be multithreaded?

i dont have much money so i'm thinking making this with 260 euros:
. AMD Phenom II x2 555 3.2Ghz Black Edition (i will do overclock if needed)
. Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 AMD 880G (with Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 4250 GPU)
. Kingston DDR3 2GB 1333Mhz
. Seagate 500GB Sata II 16MB (Single Plate)

do you think a can get 20fps on a full starting grid with this?

tell me your opinions please
thank you

Jorge
#2 - 65D
I don't prefer AMD's. I had AMD Sempron, I could wash my ass with it. Get computer at least with Intel Core 2 Duo and 512MB graphics card
(for example NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS). 2GB of RAM is enough for LFS. Of course, it's always good to have more if you can manage.

Just for information, if you really want to play Live For Speed with 20fps you may need more than 200 euros.
Quote from 65D :Get computer at least with Intel Core 2 Duo

can you be more specific?
#4 - vvip
Quote from 65D :Just for information, if you really want to play Live For Speed with 20fps you may need more than 200 euros.

Good configuration is not all...
Need and good internet provider ...

My config is:
AMD Athlon XP, 1800 MHz (13.5 x 133) 2200+
512 MB (PC3200 SDRAM)
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (128 MB)

And have 20fps+ at starting grid
Internet connection has nothing to do with your framerate...

Anyway, HD 4250 is going to be a bottleneck, but if you can live without AA/AF and resolutions higher than say 1280x1024, you should be pretty much OK.
Quote from MadCatX :Internet connection has nothing to do with your framerate...

Anyway, HD 4250 is going to be a bottleneck, but if you can live without AA/AF and resolutions higher than say 1280x1024, you should be pretty much OK.

Im not sure what bottleneck means (my english is not so good) ... but what do you think will be the cheapest graphic card so i can run AA/AF and higher resolutions with no problems and 20fps at full starting grid? is the AMD Phenom II x2 555 3.2Ghz ok?
I guess that nV GT 220 or 240 could be the card you're looking for.
#9 - 65D
Quote from vvip :Good configuration is not all...
Need and good internet provider ...

You are fail. Do you even now what means fps?
Based on my benchmarks and my pc

To run LFS at 30 FPS with a full grid of 32 cars and all the graphics option to max ( With 4x AA and 16X AF ) plus some HD textures ( Skies, Termac ), you will need as minimun

Pentiun 4 of 2.4ghz ( Amd Sempron 3200+ )
Ram: 1gb
Video card : radeon 9550 / 9600 -- Nvidia 6200 -6800 with 128/256 mb
HDD: at least 2 Gb ( game installed only use 600mb or less,via online the game download tons of skins and helmet skins plus the textures you add )

MY pc is pentiun 4 3.2ghz ( Socket 478 )
1.5gb ram ddr
Sapphire HD 2600pro 512mb DDR2

With all settings to max, 4x aa - 16x AF, in south city with 32 cars ahead i have within 25 and 30 fps and 60+fps after the first lap

So, the pc you are gona buy is exelent for lfs
Ok!
So i can see i need to buy a graphic card
80 euros is the maximum price for my budget

I have been looking for the best price/quality and i found this two:
. SAPPHIRE ATI HD5670 512MB DDR5 - 78,90 euros
. Xpert Vision GT240 512MB GDDR3 - 73,50 euros

i dont now so much about graphic cards but the saphire is DDR5
which one do you think will perform better in fls?
will this be ok for the 20fps full grid?
Quote from alquimista :Ok!
So i can see i need to buy a graphic card
80 euros is the maximum price for my budget

I have been looking for the best price/quality and i found this two:
. SAPPHIRE ATI HD5670 512MB DDR5 - 78,90 euros
. Xpert Vision GT240 512MB GDDR3 - 73,50 euros

i dont now so much about graphic cards but the saphire is DDR5
which one do you think will perform better in fls?
will this be ok for the 20fps full grid?

With the pc you are asembling and the HD5670 you can run any game maxed without problems

And i recomend you a 500W psu with that you are ready to run any game without problem

LFS is 60% CPU 40% Video card
You are being a great help! Thank you!

So now i will have 2 graphic cards ... the HD 4250 integrated in the motherboard and the SAPPHIRE ATI HD5670 512MB DDR5

Can i take any advantage on that? Or it will be wiser to buy a cheaper motherboard without integrated video card?
Go with a cheaper motherboard without a GPU, it's 100% better solution...
Quote from alquimista :You are being a great help! Thank you!

So now i will have 2 graphic cards ... the HD 4250 integrated in the motherboard and the SAPPHIRE ATI HD5670 512MB DDR5

Can i take any advantage on that? Or it will be wiser to buy a cheaper motherboard without integrated video card?

You can't use the Onboard video with the one you plug in the pci-ex socket

The video onboar outomaticaly turns off when detect a video card in the pci socket
Quote from Inouva :You can't use the Onboard video with the one you plug in the pci-ex socket

The video onboar outomaticaly turns off when detect a video card in the pci socket

Not true. The Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 has Hybrid CrossfireX support.
Quote from amp88 :Not true. The Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 has Hybrid CrossfireX support.

We are talking about the rig that the op say,

I know they are mobos with hybrid system, not in this case
Quote from Inouva :We are talking about the rig that the op say,

I know they are mobos with hybrid system, not in this case

Yes, the board in the OP supports Hybrid CrossfireX.
Quote from 65D :Get computer at least with Intel Core 2 Duo

Correct me if I am wrong but LFS only uses 1 core, so 'at least' is irrelevent, you would be better of not worrying about dual or quad core, if its purely for lfs you are better off 3.2ghz than 1.6 ghz

2gig of ram that you currently have, with a good processor and reasonable v-card should be more than enough, that being said, your integrated v-card obviously isn't cutting the mustard. As Inouva said, a 128 should be enough, you don't need to rob the bank!

Until you get your new computer, it would be advised to go into your lfs options and 'down tune' your graphics. You have to choose between eye candy and fps.

Shift + O > Graphics >
then reduce 'car draw distance', ALL LOD (level of detail), turn off haze, sky, shadow, trees, flags, rubber, Full screen AA as 'None'.

Sometimes (strangly) high res textures pull better performance than compressed so thats worth a try. And finally, moving all the Mip bias sliders to the RIGHT may also help.

I can understand a LFS dedicated computer and the need for it, I have done it myself.

No individual component will 'fix' fps, as it is down to a number of parts.... cpu, ram and v-card are the componants that make a major difference.

Don't forget though, with LFS using one core, a dual 3ghz will probably deliver better performance than a quad 1.6
Quote from Psysim :Correct me if I am wrong but LFS only uses 1 core, so 'at least' is irrelevent, you would be better of not worrying about dual or quad core, if its purely for lfs you are better off 3.2ghz than 1.6 ghz

2gig of ram that you currently have, with a good processor and reasonable v-card should be more than enough, that being said, your integrated v-card obviously isn't cutting the mustard. As Inouva said, a 128 should be enough, you don't need to rob the bank!

Until you get your new computer, it would be advised to go into your lfs options and 'down tune' your graphics. You have to choose between eye candy and fps.

Shift + O > Graphics >
then reduce 'car draw distance', ALL LOD (level of detail), turn off haze, sky, shadow, trees, flags, rubber, Full screen AA as 'None'.

Sometimes (strangly) high res textures pull better performance than compressed so thats worth a try. And finally, moving all the Mip bias sliders to the RIGHT may also help.

I can understand a LFS dedicated computer and the need for it, I have done it myself.

No individual component will 'fix' fps, as it is down to a number of parts.... cpu, ram and v-card are the componants that make a major difference.

Don't forget though, with LFS using one core, a dual 3ghz will probably deliver better performance than a quad 1.6

Ok ... so ... will this be ok for the 20fps full starting grid?

AMD Sempron Single-Core 140 AM3
Operating Frequency: 2.7GHz
L2 1 MB
Manufacturing Tech: 45 nm
Hyper Transports: 4000 MHz
Thermal Power: 45W

About the v-card i'm getting a little confused because i'm comparing the benchmarks ratings and i get this:

Nvidia 6200 - 57
Nvidia 6600 - 304
HD 4250 - 218

so ... the onboard hd4250 is between the 6200 and the 6800 ... shouldn't i givit it a try? or do you guys really think it will not do?
Quote from alquimista :Ok ... so ... will this be ok for the 20fps full starting grid?

AMD Sempron Single-Core 140 AM3
Operating Frequency: 2.7GHz
L2 1 MB
Manufacturing Tech: 45 nm
Hyper Transports: 4000 MHz
Thermal Power: 45W

About the v-card i'm getting a little confused because i'm comparing the benchmarks ratings and i get this:

Nvidia 6200 - 57
Nvidia 6600 - 304
HD 4250 - 218

so ... the onboard hd4250 is between the 6200 and the 6800 ... shouldn't i givit it a try? or do you guys really think it will not do?

Onaboard VC aren't good for games or Gamer's. i recomend you buy a Video cars, you are gona say "Thanks" later
If I was building this just for LFS (which you said you are), then I'd go for the one you posted first. I don't check those things for ages so I hope I'm not talking rubbish, but I'm positive the difference between the Phenom II and Sempron will be greater than the difference between the HD4250 and the GeForce 6600. For LFS, that is.

Or I'd slightly change it:
Going with an AMD Athlon II x2 would still be pretty fast and save you some euros. Probably not enough for a discrete video card but maybe enough for a motherboard with more dedicated video memory.
Quote from de Souza :If I was building this just for LFS (which you said you are), then I'd go for the one you posted first. I don't check those things for ages so I hope I'm not talking rubbish, but I'm positive the difference between the Phenom II and Sempron will be greater than the difference between the HD4250 and the GeForce 6600. For LFS, that is.

Or I'd slightly change it:
Going with an AMD Athlon II x2 would still be pretty fast and save you some euros. Probably not enough for a discrete video card but maybe enough for a motherboard with more dedicated video memory.

Ok ... now i'm also confused about the processor

if lfs is single cored and the AMD Phenom II x2 555 3.2Ghz Black Edition is dual-core this means only 1.6Ghz will be used in lfs ... right?
the sempron is single-core and will use 2.7Ghz on lfs ...

Is the technology in the phenom so good that it will perform much better then the semprom in lfs?

the only games i play is lfs and football manager 2011 ... i really dont want to play any other games ... i dont have time for it

all i want is to get 20fps in full starting grid and spend the less money possible ... will the semprom give me that?
No no, you have to interpret the clock speed as "x cores, each running at yGHz". They're independent. Meaning the Phenon will have 2 cores, each one running at 3,2GHz while the Sempron has only one at 2,7GHz. The Phenom WILL be faster and you'll also have and extra core for background programs and stuff.

Sorry about the confusion.

Edit: I suppose the Sempron would be alright for 20fps. I play on a laptop which is an AMD Turion 2,1GHz and integrated video (pretty much the same as the HD4250). The frame rate goes down pretty badly on full grid starts but it's playable (playing at 1440x900 resolution here).
I'd take 60fps on starts any day though, if I could.
#25 - 65D
Im laughing so hard because he totally thinks Sempron would be good.

system requirements
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG