The online racing simulator
Drivers Republic
(52 posts, started )
Drivers Republic
I'm wondering what you fellow lfs'ers that have played the current drivers republic pre-beta think of the game.
Physics actually feel quite nice when you finally download everything. Graphics are adequate considering it's state. Sound as well is adequate considering it's state.

But the lag, oh the lag. People seem to be trying to run servers from their 30kb/s upload connection and it just doesn't work.

Not sure about the torrent system of downloading either. I'm sure it'll be ok for mods and the such but right now it's just hassle.

All in all it's definately got alot of potential and considering it's current state it's a solid piece of work
Could you provide screenshots or video?
after a few laps i start to feel attatched to the car and i can drift ever so slightly through a few corners. it feels decent. i need a sportscar to really test the force feedback... if only they gave us a damn sportcar instead.

i found a few servers with decent pings. are the beta testers even allowed to upload videos and pics?
Not sure, but the screenshots on the site are about it really. Just shove a car doing crazy flips in there somewhere and you have it.

Hopefully tomorrow there'll be some servers with decent pings, the netcode seemed pretty good when I was racing someone with 50 ping so it's a good sign
Damn, forgot the whole sign up and now it's too late. And I even got a private message some of the devs in rscnet.org some months ago when they were searching for betatesters (they just probably randomly sent invites because I don't have anything to do with this project) but back then I didn't know that this is a project by the same guy who made RBR's physics and I didn't answer to the invite.
i was too late for public betatest
If somebody can do a video will be very nice.
#8 - joen
Damn, I forgot this was coming out today. Was planning on trying it out, now I'm too late
Would like to hear more about people's impressions though
After a little more playtime I've decided I really like the track, good mix of corners and quite a challenge in places. Also some curbs can really punish you

Physics really do fall between LFS and nKP, slightly more toward the nKP side if anything. Feels nice to get the power down and have the back step out slightly Really wish the car was the other one in the screenshot section and not the FF, but the FF is fine. Hard to test the netcode still with people trying to host 10 people on their slow home connection but I think underneath it's solid.

Not had any crashes though, which is surprising for a game in a pre-alpha state. Very solid piece of software. Easy to configure graphics, controls etc. Car setup is confusing but then that may be because my setup skills are average at best.
The driving feel, car dynamics and force feedback are very reminiscent of netKar PRO. Very promising.

Almost all other aspects (graphics, sound, multiplayer, user interface) are clearly under development and it's simply not fair to draw any conclusions from them. Screenshots and videos at this stage would be counter-productive because they would just highlight areas that still need work without showcasing those areas that work well.

The core of what's currently implemented shows a lot of potential but it's at least several months away from being ready for beta testing.
yeah the track is pretty sweet its my style of track. i like nice changes in elevation.
Quote from Gabkicks :for comparison... opened up LFS, jumped in the mrt and gave it an open diff and the feeling is very similar to the 1800cc in this game. Funny how two games that have realism being one of the main focuses end up feeling so similarly. of course the mrt is lighter and smaller so its not quite the same along with other things... it makes me wonder just how complex the physics modeling is compared to lfs. but that's not the focus right now...:yummy:

i just quoted myself from rscnet above. do u guys agree with the comparison of the mrt to the 1800cc when using an open diff? force feeback even feels very similar.
here are some screenshots. right now the devs are focused on getting the netcode and uploading/downloading running smoothly. so these are rather pointless but oh well.
images are compressed
1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF

#14 - joen
Well, doesn't look bad at all for a sim this early in development. The tyres already look better than in LFS. I think the approach they are taking is so much better than netkar. The most important part of an online sim is the netcode, so it's great they are concentrating on that first.

Is it possible like in LFS to take an overview screenshot of the track? I mean like shift-u or something. I'd like to get an impression of the track
Thanks gabkicks

Looks fun. How is the multiplayer?
its okay i can run with up to 5 people on my pc if i run a server... any more than that and the pings go to hell. so... there is still alot of optimization and tuning to go with the netcode.
I know it is a pre-alpha, but I really hope that doesn't reflect the final product in terms of visuals.. Looks plasticy like nKPRO does. I like my LFS graphics

Sounds seem alright, physics.. well.. to me they look strange in action. They look as if they are like nKPRO (which I hated) but I haven't driven it so I can't say much.

I'll definately download a demo should one become available, though.
na... they are much better than nkpro imo. i was just driving sloppy in that video because i was recording and driving at the same time among many other factors. this is a very very early alpha.

it feels closer to lfs and rbr than netkar... did you read the article in autosimsport? it doesnt use any canned ffb like nk,gtl,gtr,rfactor.

i can understand you being skeptical after the very dissapointing nkpro demo...
damn why didnt anbody tell me about the signup
cus we are a bunch of selfish bastards and didnt want to fight with other people for slots there were 400 slots and they were all taken up within 15 minutes of signups opening if recolect correctly.
Actually, I was waiting since the Autosimsport Article for a driveable demo. After the annoucement, i marked that day red in my calendar, so i won't forget it... Well, the sign up process started at 18.00 and i completly missed it. I came 2 hours later and the sign up page wasn't available. :weeping: I tried it many times, and then I was lucky enough to get an account. :yipee:
Does anyone know that is Eero Piitulainen Finnish or Swedish? His name is Finnish but as far as I know Warthog (RBR dev team) was a Swedish company and located in Sweden.
Quote from Gabkicks :na... they are much better than nkpro imo. i was just driving sloppy in that video because i was recording and driving at the same time among many other factors.

Hehe, sloppy indeed :P

Quote :it feels closer to lfs and rbr than netkar... did you read the article in autosimsport? it doesnt use any canned ffb like nk,gtl,gtr,rfactor.

Well, that is good news. I never tried RBR, but I love how LFS feels. It just seems so smooth, whereas 90% of other games just feel rigid and un-informative.

Quote :i can understand you being skeptical after the very dissapointing nkpro demo...

Extremely dissapointing. I think at this point, I'm likely to not try that thing any more, even if it gets regarded as the greatest ever. Huge letdown.
#25 - joen
Cool vid Gabkicks, thanks for that
Although I don't have much to base my expectations on, I've got good faith this will be a good sim.
The sounds are funny, sounds like TOCA 1

Drivers Republic
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG