The online racing simulator
I hate LFS because......
(34 posts, started )
can "Professional LFS driving" be taken as a reason for issuing a long time visa? if so, i'm moving to NZ right now ;D
Quote from Degats :ADSL commonly has a 30-50ms time to the first hop. ... From what I've seen of pingtest.net scores (fairly unreliable, I know) fibre lines usually get <15ms to wherever the test server is, often <10ms. The links to the local exchange/fibre backhaul are going to be a fair bit lower.

30-50 ms difference is pretty huge really, would you rather prefer 50 ms ping or 100 ms ping in a, for example, first person shooter?

Pingtest.net is really unreliable, as you said, btw.

Quote from E.Reiljans :30-50 ms difference is pretty huge really, would you rather prefer 50 ms ping or 100 ms ping in a, for example, first person shooter?

I never said it wasn't huge for near(ish) servers - but when the intercontinental links are 300ms+ themselves, an extra 10-16% isn't going to make all that much difference in the grand scheme of things
I hate lfs because...

Cant read to exams cause too busy playing lfs
Quote from lap traffic nz :I live in the wrong country / timezone and the only low ping servers I usually find are demo crash fests. I enjoy FBM BL1, but can't stand the constant dodging of wrong way driving, XRG drift king wannabees spinning every corner. Admittedly my accident avoidance has increased as a result but I'm really wanting good clean races.

It's come to the point that I've taken up cruise servers trying to find clean crash free driving, sadly its much the same unless I wait 'till late at night when I'm usually 3/4 drunk (friday and saturday nights) and the chances of better competitors improves.

My solution is that all LFS racers need to move to New Zealand so I can have better races and learn to race correctly against proper competitors...

Get yerself over to www.lfsnz.com great bunch of guys and plenty of racing being planned for 2011.
Make it sound good
RE: ping
lotsa busy routers and over-burdened local-loops.

RE: hatred
I don't hate LFS in particular, I hate the hobby.
  • Lots of people think sim racing is equivalent to playing asteroids
  • Lots of sim racers think sim drifting is retarded
  • Racing sim devs are always late
  • Racing simulators are niche products developed with minimal resources
    There is very little content compared to Gran Turismo et al
    The graphics usually suck
    The sound always sucks
  • Incompetent, uninteresting people far out-number competent, interesting people online.
  • Modding is usually discouraged
    Probably because selling content is the only way to make money
    Even if there is no new content
    NeverKeptPunctual 1.2+ and rFailure are notable exceptions
Anyway, NKP 1.3 came out before S3. Buy it now.

That said, I think that this year is going to be a good year for sim racing.
I live in GMT+6. Check the screenshot.

BTW, is the skin server down now ? I have no problem entering race servers but EVERY skin my LFS tries to download finally time-out.
Attached images
lfs_sers.jpg
As great as it is to have a tightly knit community where I can go on and be familiar with every person I race (not all that far off from real racing, eh?), I really do wish that they community was large enough to support several different servers/car classes all day. Its tough for me to make time at 3-5 pm, when everyone seems to be on. By 9-11 pm, when I would love to race, there's practically no one left. If I could find spendidly full servers at all times of day I would probably sell my xbox to make way for a new set of pedals, but it seems like I might end up doing the opposite some day.
Quote from Rappa Z :As great as it is to have a tightly knit community where I can go on and be familiar with every person I race (not all that far off from real racing, eh?), I really do wish that they community was large enough to support several different servers/car classes all day. Its tough for me to make time at 3-5 pm, when everyone seems to be on. By 9-11 pm, when I would love to race, there's practically no one left. If I could find spendidly full servers at all times of day I would probably sell my xbox to make way for a new set of pedals, but it seems like I might end up doing the opposite some day.

This is very similar to the problem I face (without the Xbox). Every time I feel the need to race, I find demo crashers and cruise servers with one or two people at most... the only "race" servers I find populated are too far away and I don't want to spoil someone else's race by lagging (I often spec races only to see slideshows of cars on tarmac). Single player FTL.

I hate LFS because......
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG