The online racing simulator
The best way to check (but too late for this specific case) this, is by simply pressing T, and pressing the UP key, till you hit the message.

Say this is what everyone sees:
Your Nick : The false message here

There are two cases here:
1. You get: The false message here - It was not an admin, seek help immediately. Your account is not safe. And maybe your PC isn't either.

2. You get: Your Nick : The false message here - Your nick is included in the message, therefore it was not written from your account. /msg has been used. It's an admin.
2.1. Most-likely scenario: An admin, who has been just fooling around has done this. You're safe.

2.2. Worst, and very-unlikely scenario: The server could have been hacked, and a false admin could be sending false messages, but that still wouldn't concern your account and your gamepassword. You're still safe.

Sorry if the reply is confusing. I'm kind of really sleepy right now ("kind of really sleepy" proves it, I believe ).

P.S. Please, feel more than free to tell me if I'm wrong about something here.
Thats some sound advice if you ask me. ^^

Can always rely on broken to give you a honest answer. I had not even thought of checking like that.

I used to do the same, '/msg [ABC] Someone left the pits (VWS)' and then sit back and watch people go wild.
I think, the admins of the servers need to be restricted for some things.. they have too much "freedom"
Quote from BOSCHO :I think, the admins of the servers need to be restricted for some things.. they have too much "freedom"

On their servers they are God.
Don't like it..go elsewhere.
Yeah, I was about to say the same. When you enter some's host, its like there home, they can do as they please! If I had paid for a host, I wouldn't want people dictating how I use it.
Quote from BOSCHO :I think, the admins of the servers need to be restricted for some things.. they have too much "freedom"

You obviously haven't seen CS:S (where admins can set people on fire, kill them, blind them, drug them etc) and SA:MP (where admins are so childish and retarded that they actually DO set people on fire, kill them, etc).
Quote from E.Reiljans :You obviously haven't seen CS:S (where admins can set people on fire, kill them, blind them, drug them etc) and SA:MP (where admins are so childish and retarded that they actually DO set people on fire, kill them, etc).

The LFS equivalent is dropping a barrier or marshall zone right in front of them when they're driving.
I may or may not have done this before
Quote from Bean0 :The LFS equivalent is dropping a barrier or marshall zone right in front of them when they're driving.
I may or may not have done this before

I once had a pwnage moment to CSF after he did that to me a few months ago. I waited a nice long (but safe) time to place a barrier infront of him. And when I did, at the braking point for the FE Green chicane () he hit it and bust out laughing.

Anyway, a /msg can also be sent via remote too if someone knows the admin password, could have been someone being naughty and doing that.
It's not really easy. How are you going to hit the correct colors from remote? It's still possible tho, yes. But LFS remote strips the colors, so, imo, that's very unlikely to happen.

And yeah, I think almost all of us have done something like that. The insim app, I'm working on says "Scawen connected (Scawen)" when it connects to the server.
I had someone freaked out when it happened, I don't remember who tho. =/
Also add "Scawen left the pits (VWS)" or however it goes.
Quote from PMD9409 :Also add "Scawen left the pits (VWS)" or however it goes.

then "Scawen was banned" perhaps?
Quote from dekojester :Anyway, a /msg can also be sent via remote too if someone knows the admin password, could have been someone being naughty and doing that.

OMG I always used to do that. I think the victim most of the time was Ellis
Quote from broken :It's not really easy. How are you going to hit the correct colors from remote? It's still possible tho, yes. But LFS remote strips the colors, so, imo, that's very unlikely to happen.

Um, how about ^1 to ^7? Or you mean that admin can't see what colors people have?
Quote from E.Reiljans :Um, how about ^1 to ^7? Or you mean that admin can't see what colors people have?

Remote escapes all LFS special chars.
Well I happen to know that Some servers (including J4F servers) can make it look like you say something when in truth you didn't say it. I know that sometimes is used to PM you to get you to notice.
Quote from PMD9409 :Also add "Scawen left the pits (VWS)" or however it goes.

What makes you think I haven't done that? xD

Actually, if I have to be honest, I started doing the Scawen thing after Ales did it in 42D.. And it got me confused for a few seconds. I was so convinced that Scawen had connected, that when I saw him not being in the connections list, I thought he just got himself out of it(so maybe he won't be banned while testing or something like that). Oh and in the meantime Victor "connected", which got me even more convinced that they were really there.. But then, I checked lfsworld(I do have both of them there on Live Alert xD), and realized how stupid I was, lol.. I think that Ales still doesn't know how good he got me there.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG