The online racing simulator
Beginner needs help!!
(14 posts, started )
Beginner needs help!!
I just got my LFS S2 license yesterday. I had a neat Indy 500 simulater years ago, so I've had some experience controllling the cars. I tried LFS with the Kyoto Oval and the BMW Sauber F1.06. I succeeded in turning in some decent lap times, around 34 sec. I was faster than the AI car. However, then things went sour. My car became very slow. After looking around on this forum I wonder if my car has damage. I have enabled the option to repair damage in the F12 screen, but that has not solved the problem. I'd like to be able to start over with a fresh car. Computer cars are inexpensive.

From the Forum it seems that is even possible to determine which specific parts are damaged. One person even posted pictures of their damaged car.

I am lost. I have read the LFS Manual, but did not find a solution there. Help would be much appreciated.

Ted
Try pressing F9 and see if your clutch temprature is too high (red/orange bar)
Good luck.
SD.
#3 - dadge
Quote from SparkyDave :Try pressing F9 and see if your clutch temprature is too high (red/orange bar)
Good luck.
SD.

he might have turned his engine into a popcorn maker(engine blown). in the BF1 it's very easy to over rev the engine. shift up earlier and try not to hit the limiter too often.
yeah its sounding like you over-revved your engine.

in single player mode if you want to reset your car to be brand new again, just press shift-p and hit join again, and brand new car.
Or just press Space.
Quote from dadge :he might have turned his engine into a popcorn maker(engine blown). in the BF1 it's very easy to over rev the engine. shift up earlier and try not to hit the limiter too often.

That's new to me that BF1's engine is possible to damage,especially by simple reving till revlimiter... According to this thread: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=11421 - you cannot damage BF1's engine even when dropping from 7th to 1st gear at high speeds. How much true is it,never tried myself.
Anyway - on topic: I also think,that might be clutch - it's so easy to heat up it when starting,if it's red after start,it might never cool down,it just heats up all the time.

PS. Just between us - 34s aren't fast,around 32 (depends on fuel amount) is ok times with proper setup!
Quote from Eclipsed :I also think,that might be clutch - it's so easy to heat up it when starting,if it's red after start,it might never cool down,it just heats up all the time.

I agree again, probably clutch. It can actually cool by its self if you stop driving or drive gently. Ignition off and out of gear seems fastest way, but I could be imagining that, it seems to take 3/4 minutes. Better still is to avoid getting the clutch hot by shifting with more care and avoiding accidents.

In single player and some multi player hosts, you can reset your car with the space bar, but not all multi player hosts allow this. You can use shift P(pit) or shift S (spectate) followed by shift J(join) in single player and most multi player hosts, however, some multi player hosts may apply a fine or penalty for this, check with the host at the time.

Well done for checking the avalible Wiki before asking! Welcome to LFS, I/We wish you the best of luck while your here.
Quote from Psysim :Ignition off and out of gear seems fastest way

This is not a good option for BF1 since it doesn't have a starter...
Good point, had not considered that, just gentle gear changing then! Lifting off the accelorator a little when you shift will help.
But the Sauber has automatically ignition cutting, and does perfect shifts. How do you burn the clutch then? Well, besides using a H-shifter and manually clutching, or reving the engine so low the auto-clutch trys to avoid it stalling.
Quote from Skagen : besides using a H-shifter and manually clutching

not possible since many versions ago
Thanks for your help!!!
I want to thank you all for your helpful comments. I am now again turning laps at under 34 sec.

Ted
So, what was the problem? Clutch overheating?

Quote from Whiskey :not possible since many versions ago

Ah, didn't know that.
What was wrong
I resolved the problem by going to the garage, as suggested by SparkyDave, and thus getting a new car. As I raw newbie I had not yet learned about damage and how to fix it. I think I must have accumulated a lot of damage in my misadventures on the track, without getting damage fixed. All is going great now. Lots of fun. Fantastic simulation. Documentation could stand a bit of work, but I am gradually learning to find my way around. Maybe I'll try to add something to the Wiki someday.

The Forum is a fantastic source!

Thanks again for the help.

Ted

Beginner needs help!!
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG