The online racing simulator
I hate LFS because......
(34 posts, started )
I hate LFS because......
I live in the wrong country / timezone and the only low ping servers I usually find are demo crash fests. I enjoy FBM BL1, but can't stand the constant dodging of wrong way driving, XRG drift king wannabees spinning every corner. Admittedly my accident avoidance has increased as a result but I'm really wanting good clean races.

It's come to the point that I've taken up cruise servers trying to find clean crash free driving, sadly its much the same unless I wait 'till late at night when I'm usually 3/4 drunk (friday and saturday nights) and the chances of better competitors improves.

My solution is that all LFS racers need to move to New Zealand so I can have better races and learn to race correctly against proper competitors...
Quote from lap traffic nz :I live in the wrong country / timezone and the only low ping servers I usually find are demo crash fests. I enjoy FBM BL1, but can't stand the constant dodging of wrong way driving, XRG drift king wannabees spinning every corner. Admittedly my accident avoidance has increased as a result but I'm really wanting good clean races.

It's come to the point that I've taken up cruise servers trying to find clean crash free driving, sadly its much the same unless I wait 'till late at night when I'm usually 3/4 drunk (friday and saturday nights) and the chances of better competitors improves.

My solution is that all LFS racers need to move to New Zealand so I can have better races and learn to race correctly against proper competitors...

Did you tryed Cargame.nl s2?, allways there is ppl...
Nice solution, mate. Very logical.
Its lagggggtastic, my options are very limited due to rubbish internet network here (fibre optic not due for about 3-7 years) copper wires FTL.
I do feel for you guys in upside down land and thereabouts, but lets face it if servers were occupied by us Brits you be complaining you never win either.

Maybe try focus racing on a server or two build up the userbase if possible?

But maybe your original plan is best, I know one of our guys from R2R recently moved to Australia so he will be looking to kick ass that is for sure, smizzi aka Biker.

Good luck with finding some good racing
Same feeling sometimes even I have servers around but either drifters or those cruise servers. I want enjoyable racing nights like back in old good time.
My only recomendation...try iRacing.
Quote from lap traffic nz :Its lagggggtastic, my options are very limited due to rubbish internet network here (fibre optic not due for about 3-7 years) copper wires FTL.

Most people here in my country (like me) also got copper wires.
Bose, maybe from the street to your house is copper, but most of the net is replaced with fiber by now...
Have you tried http://forums.lfsnz.com/index.php

Edit
===

And PS
Distance between Sydney, Australia and Auckland, New Zealand is 1,300 miles / 2,000 km. And these are the 2 closest big cities in each country.

Ping times between these 2 would be better than NZ - Europe, but not sure if it would be that great either.
Quote from auch_enne :Bose, maybe from the street to your house is copper, but most of the net is replaced with fiber by now...

Nope, still copper. I'm sure of that.
I actually race with those lfsnz guys every now and then. Very clean and exciting races. Head over to the site and introduce yourself
Quote from Bose321 :Nope, still copper. I'm sure of that.

If your ISP's core network would be based on copper wires, you'd have 100+ ms pings in your own country.
Quote from E.Reiljans :If your ISP's core network would be based on copper wires, you'd have 100+ ms pings in your own country.

Not the ISP's core, but here in the street.
Quote from Bose321 :Most people here in my country (like me) also got copper wires.

Lol, no way.. Glassfiber here
Quote from lap traffic nz :I live in the wrong country / timezone and the only low ping servers I usually find are demo crash fests.

Bad luck of location! Sadly 'down under' it seems everyone is suffering low ping times, your not alone there. I understood it that most of the Aussie telephone exchanges are recieving upgrades over the next few years, I can't say how true that is, maybe things will improve! You will never have 100% success in avoiding wreckers, there is no end to those p*****. If you can attend servers during the day (european time) you will probably find more moderation on servers. An idea to help with the low ping may be finding a cheap aussie VPS or simmilar to open a more local dedi host.

Here is a company I used to use, I believe they(there servers) are located in Aus.
ucvhost.com

Good luck!
Quote from sinanju :Have you tried http://forums.lfsnz.com/index.php

Edit
===

And PS
Distance between Sydney, Australia and Auckland, New Zealand is 1,300 miles / 2,000 km. And these are the 2 closest big cities in each country.

Ping times between these 2 would be better than NZ - Europe, but not sure if it would be that great either.

Yeah the problem is there aren't many Aus servers. Actually, there isn't any populated Aus/NZ servers.
I know I am going to get killed for saying this here, but the net code really needs some improvement. High ping racing is a LOT better in iRacing. When I race in Euro servers, I have about 300+ ping, and my car is all over the place in LFS. But when I race in iRacing servers, I have no problem whatsoever. :S
I won't kill you, I am one of many who agree's, and I won't lie about it. Its the choice between loads of money for iRacing or saving a few bucks with LFS, overall its great, but yeah, the net code does suck sadly.
I have copper and i get 30mbps, never loose connection and have low pings. Dont blame the copper blame the maintanance and the companies servers ^^
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :I know I am going to get killed for saying this here, but the net code really needs some improvement. High ping racing is a LOT better in iRacing. When I race in Euro servers, I have about 300+ ping, and my car is all over the place in LFS. But when I race in iRacing servers, I have no problem whatsoever. :S

I agree, in iRacing its generally the same whether or not your ping is high. Though bad quality makes cars flicker
Try to host self a game

But we all must wait until the crasher guys go sleeping to have some fun
Quote from lap traffic nz :Its lagggggtastic, my options are very limited due to rubbish internet network here (fibre optic not due for about 3-7 years) copper wires FTL.

How much ping you have?

I'm in argentina and all the server have no less that 290ms of ping

In game while racing there is almost 0.10 or 0.05 of ping, can play just perfectly and the servers are in UK, Also with copper wires ( I think ), with 3mb of con ( download at 350kb/s, upload 25kb/s )

Fibre in itself will not dramatically reduce ping times. If you compare the speed of light over 13,500km to the speed of electrons over copper there is only 19ms difference, with the over all time over copper being roughly 64ms.

Knowing that the average ping time from Aus to london is 300+ then you can see that the vast majority of time to be gained is not from a change from copper to fibre but rather from higher quality faster switching gear. Unfortunately I don't ever believe that ISP's primary focus will be on the speed of the switching gear in of itself but will remain on ever increasing bandwidth requirements which is why they look to fibre.

I was with LFS since 2004 first with 56k modem then 128k ISDN to finally several different versions of ADSL. The ISDN line gave the lowest and most consistent ping times and that was from a farm in the outback

So I wouldn't be holding my breath about fibre when it comes to ping times...
The biggest latency difference between fibre and copper is usually down to the trickery required to get the high speeds down the copper and not succumb to massive packet loss. Switching interleaving off alone on an ADSL line can reduce ping by 20ms or so.

ADSL commonly has a 30-50ms time to the first hop. It's usually fibre all the way from there. I get twice the latency to my local exchange, than from the exchange to the middle of Europe.
From what I've seen of pingtest.net scores (fairly unreliable, I know) fibre lines usually get <15ms to wherever the test server is, often <10ms. The links to the local exchange/fibre backhaul are going to be a fair bit lower.

Having said that, 30-50ms isn't going to make a whole lot of difference when 300ms typical pings to the other side of the world are concerned, although a couple of peers with ADSL are going to be 60-100ms slower to eachother than they would on fibre.

For what it's worth, LFS can handle high ping quite well, providing it's stable. High jitter tends to confuse the prediction system though :/

I hate LFS because......
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG