The online racing simulator
Quote from Dygear :I really hope Green Lotus, kicks the ever loving crap out of Black Lotus this year. Unlikely as it may be.

Boo to fake Lotus.

The Black and gold could be fighting with the Redbulls, Ferraris and mclarens this year I rekon.
Quote from three_jump :The Renault must have quite the heat shielding... I wonder if this is really a working system for hot races like Bahrain etc. Guess that was also the first thought the design engineer had so it's probably ok afterall

considering that button (iirc) mentioned how surprised and pleased he was on the first outing of the brawn gp that no body panels caught fire which apparently is pretty usual... i wouldnt be so sure
driver: i think my car i burning
box: then drive faster, the additional wind will kill it
Quote from Mustafur :Boo to fake Lotus.

The Black and gold could be fighting with the Redbulls, Ferraris and mclarens this year I rekon.

Rumours are Macca have similar innovations on their car
Some of those cars are looking good. Though talking about it at work, the Mercedes reminds me of a duckbill platipus with its flat nose. (replacement to the williams wullrus maybe?) Can't wait to see how these cars run.

Nice idea with the renault though, makes me wonder if it will be 2011's DDD / F duct with the other teams copying throughout the season. Though a friend was telling me that McLaren is supposed to be a bit radical but I haven't seen official rumours of it so its either BS or my unleet google skills.

As for HD, no racing needs HD. All you need is to be able to see what is going on and you can do that with in SD. Does it matter if you can read all the smallest sponsors on the side of the car or not. I will say though, it is good they are and it will be a small improvment but no game changer.
Quote from Greboth :Some of those cars are looking good. Though talking about it at work, the Mercedes reminds me of a duckbill platipus with its flat nose. (replacement to the williams wullrus maybe?) Can't wait to see how these cars run.

Nice idea with the renault though, makes me wonder if it will be 2011's DDD / F duct with the other teams copying throughout the season. Though a friend was telling me that McLaren is supposed to be a bit radical but I haven't seen official rumours of it so its either BS or my unleet google skills.

As for HD, no racing needs HD. All you need is to be able to see what is going on and you can do that with in SD. Does it matter if you can read all the smallest sponsors on the side of the car or not. I will say though, it is good they are and it will be a small improvment but no game changer.

I heard Martin Whitmarsh said the mclaren will be innovative, that's why the release date has been one of the last? I think it will be too!

You don't need HD but it's certainly nicer to watch, watching the footy in HD is like being there and seeing it with your eyes, turn back to SD and it's really noticeable.
Robert Kubica being asked "Was it always a dream of yours to drive for Lotus?"

"I think Lotus is our sponsor. At least from what I know it is a sponsor. So I could also say it is my dream to drive for Total."
Quote from DeKo :Robert Kubica being asked "Was it always a dream of yours to drive for Lotus?"

"I think Lotus is our sponsor. At least from what I know it is a sponsor. So I could also say it is my dream to drive for Total."

LOL Kubica speaks the TRUTH!
Quote from Mustafur :Boo to fake Lotus.

Which one is the fake Lotus?

One Lotus (Group Lotus) has no F1 history. They have NEVER made a single seater racing car (new trackday single seater excepted). They are allowed to be called Lotus.

The other Lotus (MalaysiaF1) has no F1 history (other than 2010). They have only ever made one single seater (2010). They are allowed to be called Lotus because they own the rights to Team Lotus name.

So which one is fake? The one that is nothing to do with Team Lotus, or the one that is nothing to do with Team Lotus?
Quote from tristancliffe :Which one is the fake Lotus?

One Lotus (Group Lotus) has no F1 history. They have NEVER made a single seater racing car (new trackday single seater excepted). They are allowed to be called Lotus.

The other Lotus (MalaysiaF1) has no F1 history (other than 2010). They have only ever made one single seater (2010). They are allowed to be called Lotus because they own the rights to Team Lotus name.

So which one is fake? The one that is nothing to do with Team Lotus, or the one that is nothing to do with Team Lotus?

Well at least Tony Fernandes had honest intentions (although buisness driven). Proton were just being arses. The way I see it, is Proton-Renault and Lotus Renault.

Makes it alot easier. Technically Proton are teh TRUE Lotus as they actually own the company that Colin left behind, nobody owned anything when Lotus F1 team died, only one man who owned the name, which Fernandes has now, and a name means nothing. Either way they both fail cos neither are sponsored by Petronas... They went with Mercedes lol
-
(aroX123) DELETED by aroX123
I got the live text commentary for autosport.com

Here is some of it so far if anyone is interrested:

09:58 The Briton has completed just four laps so far today

09:58 Lewis Hamilton has moved up to third with a lap of 1m16.446s in the interim McLaren
09:57 Williams continues to work on Barrichello's car following the problem that forced him to stop earlier on
09:54 Sergio Perez returns to the track with the Sauber. The rookie is yet to go for a quick lap, as he continues to acclimatise to his new environment
09:53 Ravichandran Nagarajan asks live@autosport.com: What will be the area of concentration of teams running with 2010 cars in pre-season testing? Is there any other area that they will be able to work on apart from new Pirelli tyres?
They are mainly focusing on tyre testing but working on some interim parts on the cars too
09:51 Vettel heads back into the pits following an eight-lap run, with an average time of 1m14.933s. His first was a 1m17s, but the rest of the laps were quite impressive
09:49 Virgin racer Jerome D'Ambrosio will be answering your questions soon here
09:47 Seven-lap stint for Vettel so far
09:47 So far Vettel has been the only man who has lapped Valencia in the 1m13s in a 2011 car. The only other driver to do that has been Nico Hulkenberg, but with the 2010 Force India

09:45 Another flyer for Vettel - 1m13.802s - on the fourth lap of his current stint

09:44 Alguersuari has also improved with the Toro Rosso, to a 1m16.599s

09:43 Vettel's best of 1m13.614s is the quickest time of the week so far

09:43 And as we say that, he goes even quicker than yesterday...

09:42 The Red Bull driver is still some way off his best from yesterday, though. Around half a second, to be precise

09:41 Sebastian Vettel is now on top of the times with a 1m14.296s

09:40 Reuters's F1 correspondent Alan Baldwin reports on the Chandhok situation: "Texted @karunchandhok to ask what he up to in Valencia. "Eating Paella" he replied. I can think of better places than the circuit for that."

09:38 Alguersuari, Glock and Vettel have also jumped onto the track

09:36 In case you have missed it, Karun Chandhok has arrived in Valencia wearing Team Lotus's colours

09:34 Kovalainen is the first man out with the Lotus

09:34 The session gets underway again

09:28 Paul Grainger sent this question to live@autosport.com: Can someone please find out what was/is the go with the new Lotus car. It clearly didn't have its suspension finished in the launch photos and was also missing its driveshafts. The sponsor logos down the monocoque are also a different colour green to the rest of the car so it looks really dodgy. Were they in a rush to finish it?

Well, good news, Paul, we have Mike Gascoyne joining us on Live later so we'll ask him for you!

09:27 The busiest men so far have been Alguersuari and Karthikeyan with 14 laps covered. Alonso has managed 12, and all the other drivers are still on single digits

09:25 Ali Ünal asks live@autosport.com: Do teams start to use their 2011-spec front wings or do they still use 2010 specification?

Well, as of now, all 2011 cars have 2011 front wings

09:22 Before that, the Scot had managed to move to the top of the times with a lap of 1m15.314s

09:22 Di Resta has gone off at Turn 2. His Force India is in the gravel, and there is already a digger on its way to recover the car

09:21 Red flag

09:21 @WilliamsF1Team on Barrichello's issue: "It was an electrical problem for Rubens, team working on car now, should be back out in about an hour"

09:20 David Sanchez Olmos has sent a question to live@autosport.com: We're awake in Mexico for Perez first outing, that represents first Mexican driver in F1 for 30 years!!! Let me know what's your opinion about Sergio?
AUTOSPORT.com features editor @TeamAnglais says:
Hi David. I first covered Sergio back in Formula 3 and it was obvious even then that he is very talented. He was impressive in GP2 as well, so I think he deserves his opportunity in Formula 1.
He's a good guy too, so it will be nice to see him do well. Now let's see how he gets on...

09:18 Pastor Maldonado is preparing for his first test with the new Williams later on: "Ready for today."

09:16 We are trying to find out how many teams are using KERS at Valencia, but it is not as easy as it appears..

09:13 The Mexican is back in the pits now, leaving di Resta alone on track with the Force India

09:10 Sergio Perez completes his first ever timed lap in the Sauber: a 1m37.861s

09:09 This image shows how early work starts in Formula 1...

09:07 Alonso and Alguersuari delighting the Spanish fans by sharing the track now. The Ferrari driver has not set a competitive time yet though

09:05 Kubica moves to the top of the times with a 1m16.945s

09:04 Paul Hughes asks live@autosport.com: Are the teams allowed to test at any track after the winter test ban ends or only at specific circuits?
AUTOSPORT F1 editor @eddstrawF1 says:
The testing ban runs from the week before the first race of a season through to the end of the calendar year, with the exception of provision for one three-day rookie driver test and the option of a test run for any reserve driver who is required to sub during the year.
The regulations don't stipulate where and when the teams should test, save for insisting that any track must be appropriately licensed for F1 running. The regulations also limit a maximum of 15,000kms test running and there are also only 100 sets of tyres available for each team for the whole year's test running.
However, to cut back on costs, the teams arrange the testing schedule between them through the Formula 1 Team's Association (FOTA), which is why the current structure of four group tests exists. So although the regulations themselves don't go as far as mandating the group tests, the teams do.

09:02 Robert Kubica sets his first time of the day and moves into second on the timesheets

09:00 Amit Mandalia asks live@autosport.com: Is Alonso in the car all day today or will Massa be taking over this afternoon? Or is Massa due to drive the car tomorrow?
Alonso is scheduled to drive all day today, with Massa taking over tomorrow

08:59 Williams reports that Barrichello's car in now back in the garage after having felt a loss of power. He decided to switch the engine off and now the team is investigating the cause

08:57 Perez is the first man out for another run in the Sauber

08:56 Green flag

08:56 We have lots of flo-viz this morning on the cars. Williams is using it with Barrichello's car right now

08:54 You have a chance to ask Gascoyne and D'Ambrosio questions. Just send them to live@autosport.com and we'll do our best to make sure they answer them

08:52 Later on AUTOSPORT Live we will have Lotus tech chief Mike Gascoyne and Virgin driver Jerome D'Ambrosio. You can't miss that!

08:50 Heikki Kovalainen after his first run in the new Lotus: "I can already feel it is a step forward."

08:49 The truck carrying Barrichello's car has just arrived back in the pits, so prepare for the session to go green again...

08:43 If you have any questions for us during the day, send them to live@autosport.com and we'll do our best to answer them for you.
We're also planning some guest appearances throughout the day so stay tuned...

08:41 The Williams has now been hidden under a cover and lifted onto the back of a truck

08:40 Some more insight from @eddstrawF1 on the Lotus rollover:
Lotus's rollover spike has attracted attention following rule changes over the winter that many took to outlaw the one-pronged concept. The new regulations, in fact, stipulate a minimum cross-section far greater than that seen with the Mercedes spike last year, and the Lotus T128 appears to comply with this change to the rules for 2011.
There are, however, concerns that having such a thick spike could compromise the airflow into the engine through the airbox as it is a major obstruction. That's why the airbox intake on the Lotus T128 is such a distinctive shape.

08:37 There's a snatch vehicle out on track at about Turn 5, suggesting that's where he's come to a halt

08:36 Timing screen suggests it is Barrichello. Looks like he's stopped somewhere around Turn 2 or 3, but it's in the dip that's out of view from the Valencia balcony so we can't see the car from here

08:34 Seems like it might be Barrichello. Vettel was the only other car out and he's still moving

08:33 Red flags are out

08:31 Rubens Barrichello is out on track in the Williams. He's just running this morning before handing over to Pastor Maldonado for the afternoon

08:29 Alonso and Perez are straight back into the pits, so Alguersuari and Karthikeyan are the only two circulating

08:28 Toro Rosso didn't test its moveable rear wing yesterday, so that's one of the things on the agenda for Alguersuari today

08:27 He's now down to a 1m18.206

08:26 Alguersuari's first timed lap is a 1m19.495, with Alonso and Perez now on track too

08:24 Karthikeyan's next effort is a 1m18.974 - the track is pretty cold and that's almost a second off the best time he did yesterday

08:23 Karthikeyan is now joined on track by Jaime Alguersuari's Toro Rosso

08:21 And there it is, a 1m19.779s from Narain

08:21 Narain Karthikeyan is only car on track at the moment, but we're still waiting for the first laptime of the day

08:20 Here's our story on the debut of the Lotus T128:
Lotus T128 hits the track at Valencia

08:18 It's just a single tour for the Scot and he returns to the garage.

08:16 Di Resta is back out on track in his Force India.

08:16 Timo Glock is planning a short pause before getting his proper running underway: "Install lap done little break and then testing starts!!!"

08:14 Lotus technical director @MikeGascoyne is happy with the first lap for his new car: "First car out at 9:00 and installation lap completed. No problems and now just checking things over. Driver happy"

08:13 Remember you can ask our team of AUTOSPORT experts in Valencia any questions you may have about the test. Email live@autosport.com or tweet us @autosportlive.

08:10 Flow-vis paint is already in evidence this morning as the teams work to understand their new challengers. The Williams of Barrichello has plenty paint on it as it returns from a short first run.

08:07 Fernando Alonso is completing his first lap of the day in the Ferrari

08:06 Timo Glock, Narain Karthikeyan, Paul di Resta and Jaime Alguersuari have also done installation laps

08:04 Webber, Hamilton, Kubica, Maldonado, Perez, Buemi, Kovalainen and Glock will be on track for the first time in 2011 today.

08:03 The Team Lotus T128 is one of the first cars out on track today, making its debut with Heikki Kovalainen at the wheel.

08:01 The track has just opened for the day on a cool but dry morning at the Valencia circuit.

08:00 Hello and welcome to the second day of AUTOSPORT's live coverage of the first Formula 1 test of the 2011 season.
But Proton own Lotus Cars, not Team Lotus (MalaysiaRacing).

I agree that Fernandes' team is more Lotussy, and that's why I'll continue to keep an eye on them. On top of that, they're made in a building about 30 miles from me (so they're my local team), and I was in that building about 5 days before the F1 team took it over.

Renault, which are only sponsored by Lotus Cars, in much the same way as Vodafone McLaren Mercedes or Marlboro Ferrari (and nobody calls them Team Vodafone or Team Marlboro), are not that interesting to me as a team entity. Their exhaust design is worthy of praise though (if it works).
Quote from tristancliffe :But Proton own Lotus Cars, not Team Lotus (MalaysiaRacing).

I agree that Fernandes' team is more Lotussy, and that's why I'll continue to keep an eye on them. On top of that, they're made in a building about 30 miles from me (so they're my local team), and I was in that building about 5 days before the F1 team took it over.

Renault, which are only sponsored by Lotus Cars, in much the same way as Vodafone McLaren Mercedes or Marlboro Ferrari (and nobody calls them Team Vodafone or Team Marlboro), are not that interesting to me as a team entity. Their exhaust design is worthy of praise though (if it works).

Yea but nobody really owns Team Lotus.. only the name of it, basically the history behind it. It would be more Lotussey to use people from the Lotus factory to be in the F1 team, using it along side making road cars (as Lotus did.)
Team Lotus is only a name anyway. You can't buy history. Chapman is dead. The ex-Team Lotus people are either retired, dead or moved on. Some remain with Classic Team Lotus (a different entity), others might be at Lotus Cars.

Team Lotus never made road cars. Lotus Cars never made F1 cars. The two are entirely separate.
gut feeling is to support team lotus, apart from the fact that lotus cars have never made single seaters for racing i just don;t like the way proton were quite happy to ride the publicity of team lotus last year when it suited them before deciding to jump on the band wagon and buy a team to run under the lotus name in F1.

if i have to search for a hard fact for team lotus to deserve the name, they were given one of colin chapman's caps by his family in a glass case to be opened in the event of victory, that'll do for me as i feel team lotus reflects the spirit of the old team rather than the offshoot of a huge corporation.
My thoughts exactly.

Team Lotus is Lotus.
Renault F1 is merely sponsored by Group Lotus to cash in.
Quote from tristancliffe :Team Lotus is only a name anyway. You can't buy history. Chapman is dead. The ex-Team Lotus people are either retired, dead or moved on. Some remain with Classic Team Lotus (a different entity), others might be at Lotus Cars.

Team Lotus never made road cars. Lotus Cars never made F1 cars. The two are entirely separate.

Yea but the old Lotus was both, racing and road cars. That's why they are both called Lotus, and thats why they were both run by Chapman lol,, I understand what you are saying but, they are effectively the same company, it would be like saying Skoda's aren't really German, whilst technically true, asthetically it's completely un-true.

But, I see Tony Fernandes' team to be the one with the correct objectives, Proton, well, I will support Renault as much as I ever did, and will continue to support them as just that, Renault.
Poor Massa.

Anyway...

Lewis: "Our car looks different to others and I hope it reflects on its performance. Ferrari and Red Bull look more like an evolution of last year's car."

There is still hope. Come on McLaren. It would be quite a shame to see another Bull dominance.
Would be quite nice to see the first Bull dominance actually. When they do have the quickest car it either falls to bits or falls off (or they hit each other).

I don't think dominant teams clinch championships at the final two meetings of the year.
Uhm... I was talking about pure lap times, in which category they absolutely smoked everyone else.
#299 - CSF
Quote from DevilDare :Uhm... I was talking about pure lap times, in which category they absolutely smoked everyone else.

Only Red Bull and Ferrari did some kind of quali runs yesterday. This mornings times were interesting, and makes it look like the Mercedes is quite strong.

Also lets be honest, it looks the best too.
Holy shit thats an epic picture and yes it looks beautiful

Formula One Season 2011
(1339 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG