The online racing simulator
Quote from Intrepid :For the first Moto GP race of 2010 I put an online stream on a cinema 100+ inch screen. The actual picture quality wasn't particularly good, certainly not HD, but the whole room was shouting and screaming and I pretty much picked up on 99% of all the handling developments that were happening. Even in sub-SD the race was as immersive as being there. Certainly better doing it that way than on some diddy HD TV

I think what is going on here is what I call 'Karl Pilkington Travel Syndrome'. By that I mean someone who is not overly impressed by something, despite a cascade of praise that 'something' attracts. Anyone who has seen Idiot Abroad will know what I am going on about. That's how I feel about HD. You have everyone telling you constantly how amazing it is, when in my reality it's not much different than what we've had before. In some case it's worse.

Everyone is different of course, naturally.

The Gadget show did a review on Sky regular and SKY HD, and said there wasn't any point in the HD package at all as it doesn't really allow you to see more than you would otherwise..

And with regards to Ferrari, who the damn painted the Pirelli logos on the wheels? They have just stuck them on horizontally. Weird..
If im not wrong, what you need to do on a "on the limit" qualli lap is:

-Push the KERS button.
-Change the rear wing.
-Possibly adjust the front wing flap.
-Change brake balance depending on the corner.
-And some other stuff that i dont know of.
(all that possible wet weather?)

Quote from aroX123 :If im not wrong, what you need to do on a "on the limit" qualli lap is:

-Push the KERS button.
-Change the rear wing.
-Possibly adjust the front wing flap.
-Change brake balance depending on the corner.
-And some other stuff that i dont know of.
(all that possible wet weather?)

Yes.

Rear wing adjustment will be only be "activated" when following closely another car. I doubt it will be usable in Q.

Front wing adjustment has been removed iirc.

Yes.
You can use the Rear wing in Q.

However, the Rear wing automatically goes back to normal position as soon as you brake, so not a problem. Yes, the drivers have to hit Kers and the Wing at the start of a straight, but that's not the most difficult thing in the world.

Brake balance happens halfway down the straight when you're no longer pressing kers or wings, so not an issue. There is no front wing adjustment.
-
(DevilDare) DELETED by DevilDare
When did F1 become Mario Kart? Go through timing hoops and get your rear wing thing activated? KERS? Granted it'll be entertaining to watch, but it's getting silly.
i've changed my mind about the weight distribution ruling for 2011. wasn't happy about it at first as it seemed to be there to stiffle designers but it makes sense once it's explained, it's just for 2011 to ensure that one team doesn't get lucky and by chance get a distribution that suits the pirelli's far better than anyone else whilst no one's really got any solid information to work on.

next season when everyone's done some serious running on the actual race tyres, they'll be free to go with what ever distribution they want.
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :
I thought running a split intake above the driver's head like that was banned for this year?

hmm, ill look it up, because i thought the same

Edit: Some people woundered aswell but lotus has worked around it and it is legal

"The merc “blade” roll structure was indeed banned. The rules where changed to have a minimum thickness for the roll structure. That sort of negates the advantages of the “blade”. Guess Lotus still though it was worth it.

From the regulations:

15.2.4 The principal roll structure must have a minimum enclosed structural cross section of 10000mm², in vertical projection, across a horizontal plane 50mm below its highest point. The area thus established must not exceed 200mm in length or width and may not be less than 10000mm2 below this point."
They all look the same as last years cars just without the engine cover fin...
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :They all look the same as last years cars just without the engine cover fin...

Most are still equipped with 2010 spec wings, and will be changed for the upcoming tests...The Ferrari bloke even said that the car at the launch would change significantly before the test at Valencia, and again before the 1st race.
You say that but if i remember back to last years launch they all looked pretty much the same as the cars that were released i can't see them changing much and im not talking about wing etc i mean the body shape is the same as last years on all of them
Hardly surprising really... Every F1 car has looked similar to the previous years, since time immemorial. The 'change' is over time, not in each step. Much like natural selection really.
Quite a detail... But I don't really get why Sauber has kept BMW's colour sheme.
Black, Gold and Red

That car is epically mean!
Exhaust going towards the front represents a HUGE packaging challenge/nightmare.

If they did it and it works, it is a major innovation. We'll know pretty soon I guess.

Tomorrow: RB7, W02, FW33, STR6 @ Valencia
Probrably not too comfortable for the driver too.
Surely a front exhaust will be deemed unsafe, especially during a high speed crash.

Formula One Season 2011
(1339 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG