The online racing simulator
Xbox Issues, what are my rights here?
(32 posts, started )
Ok so lately my Xbox 360 fans have been at jet speed and making one hell of a racket...happened last time when I had 3 RROD but I just kept playing...

So today I was playing COD and just when I had a 27-2 kill streak within about 2 minutes on Firing Range, I had 2 RROD. I am not Xbox expert but a quick google showed that this was an over heating issue...funny because both fans were working and the Xbox was not in a small area or next to any heat source.

I'm an IT engineer and figured how hard could it be. I ignored the "warranty void if removed" sticker which had been placed on by the company which repaired the Xbox previously.

I took off the outer casings of the Xbox but got stuck on some of the clips on the back. I prised the case open a little only to find that the metal casing which actually holds the internals of the Xbox was not screwed down and so I could pull it out without actually removing the outer plastic case. Bit strange I thought, but whatever.

After I had removed the inner casing, I could split the white outer casing no problem.

Back to my overheating problem, there was no dust etc internally so all of the posts on the internet saying that it was dust build up etc were bollocks.

I'm onto the thermal paste being applied like crap so I'm in the process of removing it now but I have a dilema...

Even if I fix it, what I have here is in effect, a bodge job Xbox. The imbosiles at "Total Console Repair" failed to attach ANY of the screws internally. The T10 bolts which were supposed to be around the outsite were not there and neither were the T8 bolts which go across the Xs in the middle. So this means the motherboard was not screwed down and from what I see, neither were the screws that go into the back of the heatsinks.

Technically, I have voided the warranty (when I bought it preowned last year I took a 2 year warranty out with it) because I have opened the case. But from my view it was put back together by a monkey. It is beyond bad, if I built a computer or installed some hardware for a customer and put any of the screws or clips that hold it in place in, I'd lose my job.

If I'm up early enough in the morning I will be down to gamestation but I have the feeling that they will tell me "sorry sir you opened it not our problem"...but they didn't put it back together in the first place properly..

So where do I stand?
you opened it, you're boned. sorry.

now if you really want to fix it, as opposed to buying a new one, you could try getting team xecuter's rrod fix kit and try fixing it yourself...

http://team-xecuter.com/rrod/
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Ok so lately my Xbox 360

So where do I stand?

You bought an xbox, that's the problem. (commence nerd game flaming)
Ideally you should have documented the dissection and diagnosis process. Then turn up at the supplier threatening legal action due to negligence. You never know, once they know your in the "trade" and have proof of their complete ignorance you may be refunded on the warranty price.
Quote from lap traffic nz :Ideally you should have documented the dissection and diagnosis process. Then turn up at the supplier threatening legal action due to negligence. You never know, once they know your in the "trade" and have proof of their complete ignorance you may be refunded on the warranty price.

You may have a point here. I googled "total console repair review" and I'm not particularly impressed with the results I get back... "useless", "con artists", and "console ruiners" are just some of the many phrases I have seen.

I wrote a letter to the company who repaired my console:

Quote :Product ID(serial number) = 01843221 (2015643 81205)

Firstly I would like you to check your records and try to find the above console. I have recently moved so pieces of paper etc have probably been thrown out/lost in the move so I cannot provide you with a customer number, but hopefully the above serial or the below address will be enough.

My name is Jamie Bridges and my addresse(s) [removed].

I sent my Xbox away to you around the end of October with 3 Red Rings.

When I recieved a console back, I first noticed it was not the original console I had sent to you. Not that it really matters, but interesting nevertheless.

This console I have in my possesion worked fine until the last couple of days, where the fans would be extremely loud. Tonight while playing a game, my console crashed with 2 red rings.

I am an IT engineer but no Xbox expert so I googled for some codes and found that this apparently means the Xbox is over heating. This was confirmed by a message when I rebooted the console telling me to make sure it was not in a confined space and not next to any heat source, etc etc. - It's not.

I have carefully documented my progress...something I learnt to do in the trade

1) Removed all the cables from the rear of the Xbox
2) Removed the harddrive and the front panel
3) Removed the top and bottom mesh grills using a small tool and gently prying the clips to get them out.
4) Unclip the front of the case

Here is where I got a little stuck, I was unable to get the rear of the case unclipped as I didn't have a suitable tool to get into the 5 small spaces, but while I was investigating this, I found that the internal metal casing, to which the motherboard etc are all connected, was not secured in any way and was free to move within the case. Despite being unable to fully open the plastic outer casing, I was able to lift the front (almost like a clam) and remove the internal metal box (which from what I understand is supposed to be secured with some screws...?)

The most worrying thing for me came when I looked at the internal metal tray, in which the motherboard sits. There were absolutely no screws in it at all which means that the motherboard was not secure internally. To my horror, I also noticed that there were no screws into the "x clamps" which is where the heatsinks are secured.

I have taken a video of the process from start to finish to demonstrate this, and I have explained my findings as I go along.

If you require this video please let me know, and I will upload it to Youtube or similar and allow you to watch through at your discression.

So basically, I have a non-functioning machine and it's my belief that it was reassembled poorly by members of staff at your company.

In short; what is going to be done about this?
Best regards,
Jamie

Although it's quite dark in my lounge, even with the light on, I did document it with a video of disassembely, which I will upload to Youtube as a private video (with the intent of showing it to the company who repaired my console as they would no doubt try to tell me it was me who removed the screws).

When I do this I'll also post it on here so you guys can see how genuinely shit this conole was put back together..

After breakfast with my Dad tomorrow, I will stop into Gamestation with my Xbox 360 and see what they say..not much I would think, they just pass the buck on to the repairer. Doesn't matter where I bought it from, eh..
They wont do anything. I wouldnt even bother...
Quote from DevilDare :They wont do anything. I wouldnt even bother...

If you go into a room expecting something not to happen, it won't! Positive & wise words there!

You're right, nothing will probably happen, but then again how would one know without trying? If they stonewall, I would simply say I would take this matter to the small claims court if my console is either a) not repaired or b) replaced. And not being a lawyer or anything but I have a valid point for negligence...they provided a service which was not up to standard and supplied me with an, at best, poor quality product, or at worst, a piece of dangerous equipment (as it could have easily snapped, melted and caught fire...OK I'm being dramatic there but you get the point)

In the mean time I will try and get a T8 screwdriver to get 3 screws which hold the power button on (the only screws in the machine, actually) and check the thermal compound application, and if necessary remove and re-apply. Tbfh as long as the dam console works I don't care what happens.

I'm going bed me tired. Na night x
You voided the warranty by opening the case. Really doubt the court will be able to help you since you dont really have any proof that the product was in poor state. As I understand, it was in fine working order for over a year? Did the company have a predicted life range after the fix?

Anyway, you should have contacted them when the errors/lights started coming up instead of cracking the case open to see for yourself. Now they have every right to dismiss you.

But meh, like you said, will never find out without asking I guess.
Yeah, you're screwed.
As said, there is nothing you can do now that you have opened the case. I would not be surprised if they tell you to bugger off.

Also, you should of not e-mailed them. Instead, you should of put the case back together and sent it off for repair under warranty and hope they wouldn't of spotted your tampering, but now you have messed that up too.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Yeah, you're screwed.

Edit: @ Jamie. I just noticed you said you would threaten them with a small claims court hearing? While I realize that it would most likely remain a superficial threat and not something you would actually do, threatening them would make no difference to there decision to repair your console or not. I'm no lawyer either, but I'm pretty sure Xbox (Or the Repairing company) could easily dispute the case by saying you opened the Xbox, so could of taken out the screws to try and scam them for a new (Or refurbished...whatever) Xbox. Either way, it would not stand up in court.
You do answer your own question, but if you fix it **** em they should be employing you at microsoft then xD
Ok guys thanks for the replies.

Quote from DevilDare :You voided the warranty by opening the case. Really doubt the court will be able to help you since you dont really have any proof that the product was in poor state. As I understand, it was in fine working order for over a year? Did the company have a predicted life range after the fix?

I bought an Xbox preowned in like August/September of 2008 and bought a 2 year warranty thing. Console broke in October/November of 2009 and was sent off. A DIFFERENT console came back from the repair company, and then this has worked until today. My machine is under warranty until 2011

Quote :Anyway, you should have contacted them when the errors/lights started coming up instead of cracking the case open to see for yourself. Now they have every right to dismiss you.

But meh, like you said, will never find out without asking I guess.

I do really understand what everyone is saying about the whole "oh you opened it etc", but to it can be argued that if you are more competant than those who would be repairing it (which I clearly am considering I would have at least screwed the motherboard in!!) you are entitled to inspect for poor workmanship. Because I have done what I've done, I know the machine broke probably due to poor repair, where as if I had sent it off they would have said "dust build up" !

LMAO well along with all the other things I want..new xbox if I can't fix it?
If you want to be taken seriously you should have sent a formal e-mail that you had thought through with decent structure and grammar.

Any e-mail sent at 4.30am with a smiley and lots of really quite poor assertions that you're in the trade. The fact you ask so many questions, give a comically simple list of things that you did don't back this up.

You should have started with "Dear Sir" and then given a clear introduction to what you're writing about, going straight into gibberish about how you've lost the paperwork isn't helpful.
#14 - Jakg
While they may say opening it voided the warranty (it's debatable), thats not the problem in question - while the warranty may be void, that means they are not obligated to repair it. That does not mean you can open it up.

However, you will have to prove that they are at fault... which could be quite hard. Especially as you've now removed the seal.

However, for a £100 Xbox I really *really* wouldn't bother. If you really are an "IT Engineer" it would take you less time to fix the bodge than answer the email.

Oh yes, and I'd be surprised if you got an reply, it's slightly too ranty / derogatory. Plus, you've given then no compelling reason to reply.

Also, don't threaten court unless you intend to do it and actually understand it... it makes you look like a bell-end.

For example, what do YOU think would happen once you took it to court? What would be the net result?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I do really understand what everyone is saying about the whole "oh you opened it etc", but to it can be argued that if you are more competant than those who would be repairing it

you would think so, but no. as soon as you peel that sticker, it's done-for as far as they are concerned... because they can't determine whether you stole the missing screws, or if they were never reinstalled after the warranty repair.
#16 - STF
Hypothetically if you record the removal of the seal from a very close distance, in high resolution, clearly showing it was intact, can they then claim such things?
Quote from STF :Hypothetically if you record the removal of the seal from a very close distance, in high resolution, clearly showing it was intact, can they then claim such things?

I would imagine the video, HD or not, will be meaningless as the removal of the warranty sticker was done by someone other than who they specify. There are loads of get outs for them, even with a video.

I would say you have unfortunatley ****ed yourself in the ass....with your none functioning xbox.
Just out of pure curiosity, when did people start taking thier broken xbox to an IT engineer and not a service tech?
OK all, thanks for the replies. So it seems I am ****ed! Lmao, no matter.

I'll wait until Tuesday for these guys to reply to my email and then I will call them first thing Wednesday.

Jack, indeed you make a very valid point my friend.

Unfortunately I have neither thermal paste nor cleaning solution so couldn't even attempt to fix it right now. Thanks to the bank who have cancelled my card (and sent me several again cancelled ones in the post) I can't buy any from Overclockers or anything else and because of work I cannot get to a bank to withdraw any dosh.

If I took it to court, I wouldn't expect alot, just a repair or a replacement for an equivalent (i don't even really want the new xbox) machine..so another 20GB premium would be fine for me!

The net result I would *hope* for would be an acceptance of negligance/poor workmanship from the repair company, from a repair which was not carried out correctly, which lead to the eventual demise of the machine.

STF, I did show the seal as intact but due to light it wasn't the best of qualities, however you can see if you actually bother to pay attention that as I mentioned it was intact.

But I fear garph's point trumps yours! I'll keep y'all posted I suppose as to anything I hear from this company (which if you google search you will find is complete shit from the reviews I get..)
#20 - Jakg
Quote from S14 DRIFT :If I took it to court, I wouldn't expect alot, just a repair or a replacement for an equivalent (i don't even really want the new xbox) machine..so another 20GB premium would be fine for me!

Well had you not of opened it you would of got a repair anyway... and you certainly wouldn't of got a replacement (or at least, you might of got a pro-rata refund on a pre-owned, old, last model Xbox, which would be very very low).

If you were to take it to court for poor workmanship, all thy would be expected to do is put things right (either fulfill their obligation, or put you back to the position you were in before...)

I can't help thinking buying a warranty and then voiding it trying to fix it is a little like getting a dog and barking yourself.
Well, since you don't have to worry about warranty or damaging your box, why don't you actually try to repair it instead of considering some legal actions which (IMHO) won't be successful anyway?
I'm no expert, but your box way trying to warn you that it's running too hot by the 3RROD. You get 2RROD when the box heats up to the point when it disconnects power from CPU and GPU to prevent possible damage. Reattaching the heatsink properly and replacing the X-clamps with bolts could help, but now I'm just quoting one of many guides you can find on the net.
Quote from MadCatX :Well, since you don't have to worry about warranty or damaging your box, why don't you actually try to repair it instead of considering some legal actions which (IMHO) won't be successful anyway?
I'm no expert, but your box way trying to warn you that it's running too hot by the 3RROD. You get 2RROD when the box heats up to the point when it disconnects power from CPU and GPU to prevent possible damage. Reattaching the heatsink properly and replacing the X-clamps with bolts could help, but now I'm just quoting one of many guides you can find on the net.

The xbox now shows 2RROD when you turn it on instantly. As I have said many times before I will be cleaning/reapplying thermal compound when I have the chance to buy some..
Was talking about your.......situation, with some of my work mates who have had this problem and it turns out that when they do the fix on the xbox they have to leave out some of the screws because they are part of the problem. When the heat builds up it warps the motherboard and because it's screwed down it pops the cpu out. Without the screws it's less likely to do this.
Quote from garph :Was talking about your.......situation, with some of my work mates who have had this problem and it turns out that when they do the fix on the xbox they have to leave out some of the screws because they are part of the problem. When the heat builds up it warps the motherboard and because it's screwed down it pops the cpu out. Without the screws it's less likely to do this.

Thanks for the feedback mate! Will investigate when I get the motherboard out of the box.
What u need to do is hammer the holes the heatsink screws go thru flat or push then more outwards.

The case is designed wrong and the heatsink isnt held on with any pressure so if u hammer the holes flat it will increase the pressure. Along with some decent thermal paste, not the chewing gum type crap M$ uses should fix it up great. Will keep the rrod away longer too...

Theres no way M$ will be able to detect the fix so i wouldnt worry about it. Ive fixed loads of different problems with 360's and none have been banned from LIVE.

(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG