The online racing simulator
#1 - jnr89
rpm´s torque band, powerband, but brake band?
hey guys, i was wondering about if i could know in wich ranges of rpms a car can brake better while braking and downshifting..

i usually see torque band concept, powerband concept, but i think there must be a "brake power band" concept because in the same way you can make better acceleration shifting in the right rpm range of torque/power band, it must be a range of rpm where you could brake better while downshifting...

i google it but didnt see any revelant info, so, guys, am i crazy or i have some right in this topic?

i wish to know a way to get that info for braking performance, but i dont have a clue, maybe it has something to do with the powerband range of rpm...

i have seen the concept of "braking power of xxx hp" but i dont know how to calculate that.

sorry for my english, hope somebody understand and reply haha
no
Braking acceleration in LFS (and real life) is limited by one thing: grip. Using engine braking in conjunction with normal braking does not magically increasing the braking acceleration unless you have really weak brakes to start with that are not capable of locking the wheels on their own.

It's basic physics.
In cars where you can not adjust brake balance "on the fly", engine braking can be used to shift the balance (according to the location of the driven wheels ).

Example: you setup your XRG/FBM brake balance so that your rear does not lockup when braking for T1, using no or very little engine braking (downhill braking).
Now if you reach the end of the back straight you have a brake balance that is slightly off, biased towards the front (you are now braking on a more or less flat surface). You can then apply engine braking (downshifts) to use the extra grip available at the back of the car.
Back to T1 braking, if you downshift early while braking heavily you will lockup your rears with the same setup.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG