The online racing simulator
Black MOMO Pedal Problems (seeking replacement advice)
I've owned the Black MOMO (force?, racing?) set of wheels for a little over two years now, about the same time I bought LFS S1. Just recently I became rejuvenated with racing thanks to a small budget pc upgrade from 512 to 1024 megs of RAM and a 9600xt from a GF4 MX440.

The Problem is one of the less common MOMO Pedal Problems. When I am FULL THROTTLE the BRAKES will come on, probably about 10-15%. This has become so frequent that I was forced to race solely on the oval, with the brake axis turned off. This made me unpopular, and I since stopped racing altogether, it was getting ridiculous. I read on RSC forums that someone else had this problem. It is caused by the conection between the gas and the brake pedals becoming loose. He was able to fix it by epoxy'ing it down. It apparently sounded dangerous as epoxy near the moving pedal parts = bad things. My pedals also have begun to spike some. (the time off of racing was actually a good thing as I did much better in finals this semester )

I am considering full/partial replacement for my set and am seeking advice. I was planning on getting dfp and going with a frex kit late this year, but it seems this might force my hand some. I really would rather not break into the pedals, they're pretty well used and momo pedals are notorious for being worthless. The wheel works great and I love it. At the very least I want to keep the momo set as something friends could race me on. My plans are now this:

1) Get a DFP. Apparently the pedals are a bit better, and the 900 degrees and FFB are nice on it.

2) Get a seperate replacement set of pedals. I have seen at least one site that sells pedals seperately, and I think a three pedal set-up would be quite nice.

3) Fix my current set of pedals. I really don't want to do this.

QUESTIONS:

1) Pedals are pedals, will DFP pedals last any longer?

2) Are there good fairly priced pedals out there? Where? Someone should make a list of wheel/pedal combo, wheel only, pedal only manufacutrers links and sticky it.

3) Do replacement pedals use seperate usb or plug into the wheel like the momo force wheel?

4) Are there any makers of replacement pedals for the momo black? I've seen the link but I don't know if they were US.

Any thoughts/ recomendations are appreciated. Please list if you've replaced your pedals and list your experiences. Should I go ahead and DFP now? I'd like two working sets of wheels if possible.

Thanks,
Stu
if you have had a momo racing for under a year, your warranty is still intact and can get a new pair for free.. seeing that you have had it for 2 years (same here), the only way you can get new pedals is if you pay 50$ plus shipping.. rippoff

but i fixed my problem.. broke a major spring, dunno why yours does that, you might want to check out the calibration on it when it restarts.. that or open up your pedals and see how much hair and crap is in there.. (you'll be surprised i promise lol i've found stuff in mine that i didnt even know existed)
Quote from XCNuse :if you have had a momo racing for under a year, your warranty is still intact and can get a new pair for free.. seeing that you have had it for 2 years (same here), the only way you can get new pedals is if you pay 50$ plus shipping.. rippoff

but i fixed my problem.. broke a major spring, dunno why yours does that, you might want to check out the calibration on it when it restarts.. that or open up your pedals and see how much hair and crap is in there.. (you'll be surprised i promise lol i've found stuff in mine that i didnt even know existed)

huge bummer bout the waranty. I think i got con-ed into buying a year long warranty from best buy for $20 bucks... the logitech waranty woulda covered that.

I read that there is a poorly designed connection between the gas and brake sides of the pedals. This somehow has become loose to the point where WOT leads to brake application. I could revert the pedals (gas = left, brake = right) but thats just stupid. I did some preliminary cleaning without opening it up, and i think my girlfriend must put her hair in there by the handful.

I really just want to get a new set of pedals without these issues. No Way I'd buy another set of these pedals with this many known issues with them...
This is not "one of the less common" problems of the Momo/DFP pedals. I think it is quite common. And before you toss the cash at something else, if you like the Momo, then it is very easy to fix.

First, the problem is, your brake pot (and potentially the throttle pot, no pun intended) has probably loosened in the holder. This allows the wires to get twisted about and when you push one pedal, it tweaks on the wires causing the pot of the other pedal to move. I had the opposite, where when I hit the brakes, I was getting up to 50% throttle every time. Not a good situation in a hard braking 2nd gear turn.

Very simple solution. The pot is square and has a nub at the bottom which pushes into a notch. This is what comes loose. Don't epoxy or glue it is, just use some gasket maker goo to hold the pot in the holder. That way it still allows some give that it won't break the nub and you can remove it later if it ever needs replacing.

The pedals are very simple and easy to take apart / put back together. Once you're in there, you'll see how they assemble quite easily. While you have them apart, get some black electrical tape and give each axi of both pedals a wrap of tape. That will ensure the other common problem of calibration spikes don't haunt you later down the road.

Hope that helps.
#5 - Gunn
DFP pedals have two flavours. The first one is what most people have (and they are still being sold), they are identical to the Momo pedals and fail just as often.

The second flavour is a "Revision 2" set that you may get if you send your broken pedals back for a warranty replacement. Apparently some of the revision 2 pedals have been packaged with new retail product but nobody at Logitech could confirm this for me. The revision 2 pedals differ in two ways.
1. They use completely different potentiometers (pots). They are metal pots and much more durable than the orignal tiny plastic ones. This reduces the chances of the pot failing or braking.

2. The pots are mounted differently than the old type. This eliminates the problem where pots pop out of their receptacle and also eliminates the former problem of over-stressing the pots.

The Momo and DFP pedals appear to be interchangable, you can use the pedals on either wheel.

If you enquire about warranty repacement pedals from Logitech they still ship both Revision A, Revision B pedals for the DFP and they still ship the original Momo pedals for the Momo. There is no certainty that you will recieve revision B pedals as a replacement under warranty. You can always ask for these and you might get them, it is worth a try to avoid getting another flawed product (revision A and Momo).
Quote from Gunn :DFP pedals have two flavours. The first one is what most people have (and they are still being sold), they are identical to the Momo pedals and fail just as often.

The second flavour is a "Revision 2" set that you may get if you send your broken pedals back for a warranty replacement. Apparently some of the revision 2 pedals have been packaged with new retail product but nobody at Logitech could confirm this for me. The revision 2 pedals differ in two ways.
1. They use completely different potentiometers (pots). They are metal pots and much more durable than the orignal tiny plastic ones. This reduces the chances of the pot failing or braking.

2. The pots are mounted differently than the old type. This eliminates the problem where pots pop out of their receptacle and also eliminates the former problem of over-stressing the pots.

The Momo and DFP pedals appear to be interchangable, you can use the pedals on either wheel.

If you enquire about warranty repacement pedals from Logitech they still ship both Revision A, Revision B pedals for the DFP and they still ship the original Momo pedals for the Momo. There is no certainty that you will recieve revision B pedals as a replacement under warranty. You can always ask for these and you might get them, it is worth a try to avoid getting another flawed product (revision A and Momo).

So they know there is a problem but they continue shipping units with the crappy pots? Nice. I just became aware that I have the infamous 90% throttle limit problem, but have not yet taken the pedals apart. I am seriously contemplating simply replacing them with the ECCI pedals. I suspect those work. I just wish they would implement FF on the ECCI wheel, then I would just get the whole package. Momo pedals be damned!

http://ecci6000.com/6000_momo_01.htm
I have the 90% throttle issue with my Momo pedals. I recently took the pedals apart to take a look at the problem. What a bunch of plastic crap. Absolute junk. The cheap plastic potentiometers are loosely stuck into little plastic slots. The pedal "bearings" are plastic on plastic with a bunch of grease shot in to collect prodigious amounts of dust and hair. What a mess. I just became aware of my throttle limitation problem, but I suspect it's been present for a long time, perhaps from the beginning.

I am considering the ECCI pedals but I am waiting for reviews of the new Logitech system in October. If that is also junk, I will simply go with an entire ECCI system. Force feedback is certainly nice, but not with the ultra notchy feel of the Momo. I have it set so low to allow smooth steering I might as well not even have FF turned on!

Hopefully the new Logitech wheel and pedals will be done right. We shall see.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG