The online racing simulator
1 1/2 days left until xmas and maybe a test patch ? ^^
Quote from Be2K :1 1/2 days left until xmas and maybe a test patch ? ^^

Nice joke, moar pl0x.
Quote from Be2K :1 1/2 days left until xmas and maybe a test patch ? ^^

Do you really expect him to release anything now.
because that would mean him sorting out people's problems all over Christmas.
He's not bothered with us much over the last two years so I can't see him putting himself out now can you?.
Will you all just drop it ffs. Last year the devs didnt even say "happy xmas". We are not going to get anything till possibly next year now.
Quote from GenesisX :...
I understand that snags do occur in programming, but bad communication is really frustrating, and that is the stuff that stimulates rumours. I agree. Short, and slightly informative posts are better than none, and they keep the morale of the forum up. I'd love even to have select people test it out, whatever they have, and have maybe some feedback from them. Just to tell me that I am not wasting time checking the website / forums every two days.

A long time ago, scawen posted a LOT, there was lots of info about what he was working on and about the ideas that he had for possible features. In those days, the community was small and consisted mostly of dedicated enthusiasts.

As LFS grew and more people joined, the responses he got became more and more negative until the point where he decided that he was much better off keeping quiet until he had an actual release ready.

If he says he 'hopes' to have a patch out in 3 weeks and it doesn't happen he gets heaps of crap for it.
If he tells of an idea for a 'possible' feature and it doesn't work out, he gets heaps of crap for it.
If he explains his methods of working, he gets told to do it differently.

Any positive feedback gets drowned out by all the whining and bitching.

=====================

Unfortunately, the tyre physics isn't just about putting in the hours. It's a research project. It depends, not just on hard graft, but on creativity, luck and getting high quality data to work with.
Creating a new model that is significantly better than the existing one could take weeks, or it could take many years.

The fact that it has taken as long as it has is a testament to the quality of the existing model.
Quote from col :A long time ago, scawen posted a LOT, there was lots of info about what he was working on and about the ideas that he had for possible features. In those days, the community was small and consisted mostly of dedicated enthusiasts.

As LFS grew and more people joined, the responses he got became more and more negative until the point where he decided that he was much better off keeping quiet until he had an actual release ready.

If he says he 'hopes' to have a patch out in 3 weeks and it doesn't happen he gets heaps of crap for it.
If he tells of an idea for a 'possible' feature and it doesn't work out, he gets heaps of crap for it.

=====================

Unfortunately, the tyre physics isn't just about putting in the hours. It's a research project. It depends, not just on hard graft, but on creativity, luck and getting high quality data to work with.
Creating a new model that is significantly better than the existing one could take weeks, or it could take many years.

The fact that it has taken as long as it has is a testament to the quality of the existing model.

True, you've got a point. Lose - lose situation for the devs, AFAIK. But, IMO in regards to the magnitude of negativity, I think the level is higher than it was when the developers informed the community that they will opt to implement the physics model before releasing Scirocco. In fact, I was a happy little fella when they said they were going to release a new model. Then again, I was only running DEMO, so I wouldn't have gotten Scirocco anyways.

But, on the happy side, it is Xmas, which means another Xmas, another chance for a patch.
I think it would be nice that they would give some new news about LFS. Then we know that there is something really going on, i mean last news were 10 months ago, this makes me think that LFS died after that server move I know that making new physics is very hard and so on, but we need something news, cause this game is the best! But this is just me
Just stop spaming here!!!! Gtfo nooooooow!!!!!!!!!! Lfs dosent want to see u c**py users!!!!
Quote from Velocity. :Last year the devs didnt even say "happy xmas".

I'm afraid it will be the same this year...
i think S3 will be released when the new volkswagen scirocco version will be released :/
I laugh in the face of impatient 12 year olds.
I laugh in the face of those who's claim to fame is superiority over 12 year olds!

(j/k, it was just a setup begging for a response)
Quote from Amynue :I'm afraid it will be the same this year...

It will be! Imo its to late for anything before xmas now. Most we can hope for is a "Merry Xmas" from the devs and that all this speculative crap stops. We`ve had Lfs record and better cheat protection over the last few weeks. Thats it,nothing else coming.

Be gone trolls! Go and and get drunk and eat turkey ITS CHRISTMAS!:biggun::wmann3:
Quote from col :A long time ago, scawen posted a LOT, there was lots of info about what he was working on and about the ideas that he had for possible features. In those days, the community was small and consisted mostly of dedicated enthusiasts.

=====================

There is very much truth to this, but:
IMO I think it's the wrong way approaching this. If you just listen to the negative comments, and then chose to ignore every comments because of this, it's a bad choise.

Sure, as said before there are allways people who goes apeshit for nothing, and demands x and demands y. Why listen to them? Ignore them! If they canot manage to write a constructive feedback it's not worth discussing / using time on them. And a contructive feedback can also be negative by the way.

So, I hope that one day the developers learn to use the comments they fit as usuable, and ignore the trolls. As it is not the devs has let the trolls won, and they basically tells the users to **** off and wait for a new patch - how nice.

I understand them, but I don't agree with them. They should go on one of these communication courses
In before the obligatory "are the devs still alive" post

Merry Christmas all
Quote from JPeace :

Merry christmas!

12 hours too early
In Norway Christimas is on the 00:00 the 24/12
Attached images
lfsflyer.jpg
Chuck Norris gets royalties for all racing games, because their concept is about speed, skill and competition.
He roundhouse kicks Scavier everytime when they work too fast and want to release an update, otherwise Chuck would never get any profits from the games like GT and Forza.

Coming to, after Chuck's roundhouse kick takes a while...
Quote from 91mason91 :I laugh in the face of impatient 12 year olds.

Well. it's not really impatience, but a promise has been made.

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but the promise of continuous development was one of the sellingpoints that convinced me to buy a licence. Once I had finished the driving tests in the demo I bought a licence because I felt like there was epic potential in this physics engine. I bought the licence to support the developers and stimulate them to add features and make everything better.

I am not a LFS driver since the very beginning. When I bought my licence I got S2 right away, so I'm fairly new I guess. But the thing is that since I got my licence there have been no significant changes or additional features that I can think of.

With a "normal" game when you buy it, you pay so you can play it as it is. But with LFS my intentions were different. I decided to pay so the devs could keep developing. I feel like I made a little investment. Maybe it would have been better to have kept driving the demo. But I decided to not be a pussy and commit to this project by investing some money so there could be something better in the end. I love simracing and I believed LFS could be the best sim out there if development would continue.

I feel a bit sad because we, the users, showed trust by investing in a product of wich the developers admit it is not finished. We showed trust by paying for that unfinished product.
We said: "Nevermind those ridiculous barrier glitches, you'll get it right in the end. Those super smooth road surfaces? Update that when you come to it. Grass through the bottom of the car? Haha, that's small, you devs will fix that eventually."
But in my "LFS life" I've seen no changes I can think of.

So I wouldn't call the emotions on the forum "impatience". I would say I'm worried. Worried that this great happening of trust and love for simracing will wither.
Quote from Ferrero Rocher :Well. it's not really impatience, but a promise has been made.

Can you show me where this promise is?

I remember Scavier saying the INTEND to continally develop the sim, and they INTENDED to release a patch a long time ago, but I have NEVER seen a PROMISE from the devs about either.

Sorry for the capitals. I'm aware it makes me look like Intrepid. Bold/Italic seemed wrong.
Quote from tristancliffe :Can you show me where this promise is?

I remember Scavier saying the INTEND to continally develop the sim, and they INTENDED to release a patch a long time ago, but I have NEVER seen a PROMISE from the devs about either.

Sorry for the capitals. I'm aware it makes me look like Intrepid. Bold/Italic seemed wrong.

I'm not a graphic designer, but capitals are fine by me.

Just because the words "We, the devs of LFS solemnly swear that..." have not been used does not mean there is no promise made.
If I say I intend to do something I feel an obligation to do that. A declararion of intention to do something, is that not a promise? To say you "intend" to do something is basically "legal speak" to cover yourself for failure. If the client or whoever complains you're not doing as you said you would you can always say: "Yes, but I intend to, that's what I promised."

That "intention" coupled to the fact that we're still in, what the devs call version 0.5, doesn't that create a very, very, very strong impression stat there's much more development to come?

Did they deliberately create that impression (to convince players to buy a licence)? I certainly think so.
Did they believe in it themselves? I certainly think so.
Did I believe it? Yup.
Do I still believe it? Yup.
Am I worried? Yup.
I dont understand why some people complain about the lack of updates when you haven't done all combos with all cars in lfs. I haven't done them all and im still exploring some aspects of the game/sim and that is what is keeping me on lfs in these hard times. People need to be creative and stop whoring the same combos all the time and do combos that you really hate. Why? Because you will get good at it after some practice and will have a good laugh trying to attempt to be good at something you hate.
Quote from Franky.S :I dont understand why some people complain about the lack of updates when you haven't done all combos with all cars in lfs.

Why is it so important to have tried all the combos before you can complain/moan/critizise/whatever?
Quote from Franky.S :I dont understand why some people complain about the lack of updates when you haven't done all combos with all cars in lfs. I haven't done them all and im still exploring some aspects of the game/sim and that is what is keeping me on lfs in these hard times. People need to be creative and stop whoring the same combos all the time and do combos that you really hate. Why? Because you will get good at it after some practice and will have a good laugh trying to attempt to be good at something you hate.

There are different motivations to enjoy a game. These motivations rarely stand alone, every player has a combination of them.
I understand some people will say: "It's a matter of taste, you can't say anything sensible about taste." But when you try to design a game that's not enough, you can't design a game sensibly when thinking like that.
I study game design, so I'll try to explain what I understand about the motivations to "like" a game. Or what experiences people pursue in gaming.

Roughly there are four categories:

Motion.
Racing LFS feels good. It gives a feeling of physical movement and interaction. This "movement" motivation applies to all of us simracers I think. We all like to "feel" how the weight of the car shifts and how the tyres lose grip and to stay in that place (the edge of controlability) where those feelings are the strongest.

Competition.
There is the competition motivation, the will to win. Those people will try to master all cominations. These people will like to test their skill against the competition against the environment and against other players.

Mimicry.
There is the mimicry motivation (cruisers :shy. Here the player enjoys himself if he/she "is" something he/she is not "really". The experience these players look for is to experience what a racecar driver feels or what a policeman experiences when het pulls over a car or pursues a car.

Chance.
Then there is the "chance" motivation, which mainly applies to gambling. But for instance mechanical failures or a weather system in a driving game tap into this a little.

For me the "competition" motivation is very weak. I enjoy to "feel" the cars. I enjoy to feel like I'm a race driver sitting in a race car. I enjoy weather effects that bring unpredictable circumstances and to gamle with tyre choices. And in the last place comes the competition element for me. Winnig gives me no thrill, honestly.

Just my pedantic two cents.
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG