The online racing simulator
Indentifing a User at a X: Y: Location
I am Wanting to make a Drag Mode for my insim an i don't have any idea how the insim could identify a user at the drag starting point. How could i do it? Well i could set it as a variable (etc Connkjfndhkjgndsfhkkh.DragSlot1Username == Conkjdbhfje,hdfhkuj.Username)

If i could do that how could i share the information with everyone (so the insim displays that information? )
docs/InSim.txt

Read it and solve these simple issues yourself. Surely you must be able to, your signature reads "Insim Developer" after all.
Quote from morpha :docs/InSim.txt

Read it and solve these simple issues yourself. Surely you must be able to, your signature reads "Insim Developer" after all.

i barley get anything out of that document. And by Insim Developer it doesn't mean i am a expert. It means i make insims.
Quote from stuntguy3000 :insims.

*twitch*

You need to identify the set of path nodes that describe the start area, then you need to get the current path node of the relevant car(s) and compare them. Path node is included in for example, the IS_NLP packet. Then you can send, say, an IS_MTC packet to display the value.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :*twitch*

You need to identify the set of path nodes that describe the start area, then you need to get the current path node of the relevant car(s) and compare them. Path node is included in for example, the IS_NLP packet. Then you can send, say, an IS_MTC packet to display the value.

i have no idea what you are on about
The node is a point in the track; you could also call it a sector. Each track has a couple hundred nodes. The current node number of a car will tell you the rough position. But when the cars are lined up at the start of a drag race, I expect they will be at the same node, so a node number won't help to distinguish he cars.

To identify a car at the start line, you will need the X, Y, and Z coordinates. These are given in the IS_MCI packet. The cars in that packet are identified by the player ID (PLID). You will need to translate the PLID to a player name, and the IS_NPL packet will give you that info. Send a TINY_NPL packet to InSim, and LFS will send you a IS_NPL packet for each player.

But, to create InSim apps you really should study the InSim.txt file. If you have trouble understanding it, then you can ask your questions here. (It also helps if you give the programming language / InSim library you use, so people can understand your background, and perhaps provide code samples.)
Quote from stuntguy3000 :It means i make insims.

you mean edit? cause making and editing is two different things, making is like making your own source, for instance your insim is based on Lc and LsC codes that means editing, if your going to make a insim you have to start from 0 which you can't do only expert's make insim.
Quote from mariuba2 :you mean edit? cause making and editing is two different things, making is like making your own source, for instance your insim is based on Lc and LsC codes that means editing, if your going to make a insim you have to start from 0 which you can't do only expert's make insim.

yes

also i forgot to add that i am using LFS_External
Quote from mariuba2 :you mean edit? cause making and editing is two different things, making is like making your own source, for instance your insim is based on Lc and LsC codes that means editing, if your going to make a insim you have to start from 0 which you can't do only expert's make insim.

I think stuntguy thinks that using a microwave makes you a chef.

Stuntguy, cycle through the MCI packets and find the closest X,Y position to the one your looking for.
Quote from Dygear :I think stuntguy thinks that using a microwave makes you a chef.

Stuntguy, cycle through the MCI packets and find the closest X,Y position to the one your looking for.

Long Reply From Me.

Anyway.

Please would you (Or someone else) pls show me the code of what you are trying to tell me.

The thing is that I am trying to learn C# InSim Coding and I am grateful everytime someone helps me out. Once I have pretty much mastered InSim Coding I will teach and help others out.
Quote from stuntguy3000 :Long Reply From Me.

Anyway.

Please would you (Or someone else) pls show me the code of what you are trying to tell me.

The thing is that I am trying to learn C# InSim Coding and I am grateful everytime someone helps me out. Once I have pretty much mastered InSim Coding I will teach and help others out.

You won't master any programming language in case you're not willing to put some work to it. Dygear posted a very good starting point for you:

Quote from Dygear :Stuntguy, 1. cycle through the MCI packets and 2. find the closest X,Y position 3. to the one your looking for.

1. Use some sort of loop to go through each packet
2. From the packet, extract coordinates
3. Compare the coordinates of a player to your start/finish line

The points need more iteration to work, but basic idea is there. Now go and write the code . People are more willing to help, if you actually come back with some code. No matter if it works or not...
Quote from Mauni :You won't master any programming language in case you're not willing to put some work to it. Dygear posted a very good starting point for you:

1. Use some sort of loop to go through each packet
2. From the packet, extract coordinates
3. Compare the coordinates of a player to your start/finish line

The points need more iteration to work, but basic idea is there. Now go and write the code . People are more willing to help, if you actually come back with some code. No matter if it works or not...

The thing is that I only just know what you mean. I wana know how can you Can learn InSim. Is their a bunch of tutorials? If their isn't It would be cool if someone went to the huge effort and made a whole bunch of tutorials for like YouTube for example.
Quote from stuntguy3000 :The thing is that I only just know what you mean. I wana know how can you Can learn InSim. Is their a bunch of tutorials? If their isn't It would be cool if someone went to the huge effort and made a whole bunch of tutorials for like YouTube for example.

Well, the thing is that before you can code an insim application, you need to know at least basics of a programming language. Otherwise you just end up as another forum insim "developer", who take an open source cruise project and edit a line of text or appereance of the user interface and claim to be good programmers . Without knowing how to program, that's really all you can do.

There are lots of tutorials for any programming language, it just takes time to learn properly. With some skill, you can use the API found in insim.txt to code your own stuff to LFS.
Quote from stuntguy3000 :The thing is that I only just know what you mean. I wana know how can you Can learn InSim. Is their a bunch of tutorials? If their isn't It would be cool if someone went to the huge effort and made a whole bunch of tutorials for like YouTube for example.

I don't know if this helps, but sometime for me. Use google and search it, thats what i did i search for timers in google cause i didnt know how to set one and now i know how to because i used google, also you can use InSim.txt that is a easy way too, or just study other codes from other insims.
Quote from Mauni :Well, the thing is that before you can code an insim application, you need to know at least basics of a programming language. Otherwise you just end up as another forum insim "developer", who take an open source cruise project and edit a line of text or appereance of the user interface and claim to be good programmers . Without knowing how to program, that's really all you can do.

There are lots of tutorials for any programming language, it just takes time to learn properly. With some skill, you can use the API found in insim.txt to code your own stuff to LFS.

true!!!!
Quote from wsinda :The node is a point in the track; you could also call it a sector. Each track has a couple hundred nodes. The current node number of a car will tell you the rough position. But when the cars are lined up at the start of a drag race, I expect they will be at the same node, so a node number won't help to distinguish he cars.

To identify a car at the start line, you will need the X, Y, and Z coordinates.............

Do you really need the Z co-ordinate?
Quote from sinanju :Do you really need the Z co-ordinate?

Potentially, if a bridge is involved.
Quote from Degats :Potentially, if a bridge is involved.

Let me rephrase my question: do you need a Z co-ordinate for drag strips?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG