The online racing simulator
Where is the "MRT6" ?
(50 posts, started )
#1 - Phlos
Where is the "MRT6" ?
IIRC was that not just an early aero test by Scawen?

Or is it coincidentaly a similar design to the real MRT6?
Aaah that would be a nice car to have
Doesnt even look as though the spoilers are attached

Would be nice to have though.

Dan,
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Yep, the engine is mounted differently, I would imagine its some sort of aero testbed TBH.

Dan,
Attached images
mrt65.jpg
The model is quite close to the MRT6 in real life (with the side exit exhaust etc), but as said above I think it was an early test of the downforce code. As far as I know McGill never actually did any tests for downforce as it's not allowed in SAE Formula Student.
I hope we never see that car in game. We already have enough downforce open wheelers.
Quote from Cue-Ball :I hope we never see that car in game. We already have enough downforce open wheelers.

yes, it would be a pitty to have more options...
what happened was, they decided not to use spoilers and im not sure why, but someone said that the current MRT6 just has the ground effects stuff and not the spoilers
I believe the guys from McGill used this winged MRT6 version to determin if wings would be worth putting on the car. They equipped the MRT in LFS with wings attached to the unspung mass (as in the old F1 days, directly onto the upright of the suspension).

As for wings on an fsae car... the only downforce they add is their weight.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Well, I think the difference between the MRT5 and the MRT6 would have been rather small and therefore there was really no need to put in the MRT6 as an addition to the MRT5. A replacement would have been much more likely. But of course, that doesn't make much sense for a racing sim, does it? Think about the efforts the devs would have to put into it just to get a car with pretty much the same characteristics as a car already ingame illepall.

And as for the MRT6 with wings from the screenshots: I don't know if McGill tested wings or if the devs just tested the aeromodel, but the rL MRT6 came without wings and therefore the LFS-MRT6 should have come without them as well, I would think. And btw: Wings are not prohibited in formula sae, but they probably don't make much sense due to the relatively low speeds.
dunno, but their website said aero testing on live for speed.. so
I think they didnt put the wings on the mrt6 because they found out they dont work. Probably by testing it in LFS, as I kinda explained above...
Quote from thisnameistaken :Actually I think it would. If there was an option of making the MRT easier, most drivers would choose it and we'd never seen the non-downforce model online again. It's the same argument about making slicks optional on the road cars - it would just kill the road tyres dead, we'd never see them again.

Just look at servers where all the cars are enabled - if there's anybody on there, they'll be driving the BF1.

That's not logical argumentation. You are confusing two things.

If the driver is allowed to choose and if the race is for victory and the driver wants to win, then undoubtedly the driver chooses the car he is fastest in.

If the server enables only for example MRT 6 then everybody who wants to drive that car will join that server. All drivers will be driving it. The leagues and teams can organise races in those cars for example. Or one can hotlap in that car, because that offers some difference.
Quote from tristancliffe :As far as I know McGill never actually did any tests for downforce as it's not allowed in SAE Formula Student.

As far as I know, downforce is still allowed.

To show a few:
http://users.monash.edu.au/~fsae/2005car.htm
http://www.csupomona.edu/%7Efsae/photos/
http://maepro.uta.edu/fsae/04car-team.html

pre-2006 season cars, but hey, they've been using those wings for years.

By using wings there is disadvantages actually. Using them will add weight, and not always be beneficial to the car's performance. I read that you can lose points in the design portion of the competition because of using wings, and not gain any points in the dynamic categories that suggest your car is a good performer.

EDIT: Oh and it's an extra cost for some teams... and not always the best option. The materials is not that expensive probably, but I know the research and testing is required. Wind tunnel testing, lots of it.
Consider my hat eaten
taste like cellery?
I think downforce could make a huge difference to a FSAE at track speeds (ie. like the racing in LFS). IRL however I doubt it would be useful because they are autocross competitions and the organisers will almost certainly try very hard to ensure such unstable, short wheel base cars can get anywhere near their top speed.

Whether the FSAE lack of power would be sufficently great to not warrant running wings would be interesting to know, but seeing as they have run karts with massive wings in hillclimb competitions I guess it is worth it. To get anything out of it though in a car that would never go anywhere near the aero sweet spot of 120 mph+ you'd almost certainly have to put massive wings on which would greatly effect the balance of the car unless they were made out of composites.
No wings on the MRT thanks - just add 50hp
Basic physics simplified for me so that I could understand it, "aerodynamics start to take effect at 70mph.".
MRT6 Turbo

wootness
Quote from gremwood :MRT6 Turbo

wootness

erm, the mrt5 is turbocharged already
The MRT is already turbocharged
I don't really know why the MRT5 is turbocharged, or the RAC for that matter. I know they both are in real life, but in LFS, they both make so little boost it seems silly. The turbos take ages to spool, to, so they're only adding high end horsepower. I'd think getting rid of the turbo, saving the weight, and changing the cam timing would make more sense, but I'm not an engineer, so what do I know
All these posts in response to the question, yet no answers.....geesh!
To answer your question. the MRT-6 is in the same place as the LX-8.

Where is the "MRT6" ?
(50 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG