The online racing simulator
Thinking in Web Apps. (LFSWorld)
Google Chrome: Thinking in Web Apps.

I think lfsworld makes an incredible web application, and I would LOVE to see this as a Google application. All Vic has to do is add a manifest file, upload it and provide a 128px by 128px icon for the LFS World website and submit his application to the Chrome Web Store.

There is a 5 USD fee for the application to join the Chrome Web Store (That if you don't want to pay for vic, I would be happy to flip the bill for you.) so you can submit your web app, extension or theme. I think this would provide some good publicity to LFS, and show off what the web can do as a full desktop style experience.

--

I have so much more to say on this subject, but right now, I just want Vic to submit LFSWorld to the Chrome Web Store. I would love to hear some ideas and thoughts about InSim applications within an online environment that runs in the cloud on instanced on the computers (via LFS Remote or via the relay, or by direct connection.)
if i understand it correctly, they're really talking about applications for your browser. So actual applications for your browser. Like apps for mobile devices, but then for PC browsers.
LFS World isn't an application. It's a front for LFS stats, which is interesting for noone but us.
Developing a whole generic desktop framework would be another story perhaps .. like a CMS package with a desktop feel. But I don't really think that's for everyone. Only certain types of sites would benefit from a desktop layout i think.

It's funny, I've had on my mind for a long time now a new version of LFSW that would be more like a normal website - does this mean I'm devolving, now that they see apps become the future?

final note - current lfsworld desktop code is .. crappy really, or let's say outdated. Back then I didn't even know about the xmlhttprequest object, so all page loading is done via hidden iframes. Yuck And like the article says, there are now new technologies that we can use - a modern browser desktop could be much better than lfsworld currently is ...
Quote from Dygear :Google Chrome: Thinking in Web Apps.
I think lfsworld makes an incredible web application, and I would LOVE to see this as a Google application. All Vic has to do is add a manifest file, upload it and provide a 128px by 128px icon for the LFS World website and submit his application to the Chrome Web Store.

LFS World is already a web app. Any web site can be in a way be a web app. Web apps are just web sites that web pages that work like actual programs which usually includes using a lot of JavaScript. Web app are seeing more support from new browsers, but this support is just mostly being able to make a web app page in to a App Tab. This tab has the regular navigation UI stripped of and it turns in to smaller width tab with only the icon of the page (at least on Firefox 4) and that tab is always open in your browser. Web Apps are nothing special, they can be used the same in normal tabs like before.

All that manifest thing does is that makes the web page integrate more in to Chrome. The main advantages of that is that you can more easily grant that site some extra privileges if needed, but LFS World doesn't need any of that.

I say we don't need any of that Chrome thing. Just let LFS World be like it is and if anyone wants to make it a app tab they of course can.
all google chrome web apps is, is links to the websites...
Quote from Victor :if i understand it correctly, they're really talking about applications for your browser.

They are talking about that, but right now I think it would be intresting to just release the link to LFSWorld in the Web Store to give the site and game more exposure. What you have made was way ahead of it's time back then, even if it does use older technology, and still shows some more of the cutting edge stuff that Chrome's web store is about.

Quote from Victor :So actual applications for your browser. Like apps for mobile devices, but then for PC browsers.

But now that you bring it up ... Hell yeah, that would be awesome! Full on web apps that use HTML5 to it's fullest for LFS integration. I could see the canvas elements used in place of the whole remote application. Using a Javascript 3D rending app so that people can see the track and the cars on the track rendered in their browser. That would make for a great Timing & Scoring application. (THAT's A GREAT IDEA FOR PRISM!)

Quote from Victor :LFS World isn't an application. It's a front for LFS stats, which is interesting for noone but us.

It might only be a front, that's true, but it's still quite remarkable. From a purely technological standpoint it's impressive to say the least.

Quote from Victor :Developing a whole generic desktop framework would be another story perhaps .. like a CMS package with a desktop feel. But I don't really think that's for everyone. Only certain types of sites would benefit from a desktop layout i think.

That would be cool too. No the idea I had in mind, but I like where your head is going with this one ... I wonder if you have any other thoughts running around in that head of yours.

Quote from Victor :It's funny, I've had on my mind for a long time now a new version of LFSW that would be more like a normal website - does this mean I'm devolving, now that they see apps become the future?

Yes, your devolving. I would not say that Web Apps are the whole future, but I would say they will be a part of it. HTML5 on the other hand, most certainly is the future, and I can't want to see what we can come up with. (Must learn Javascript ... NOW)

Quote from Victor :final note - current lfsworld desktop code is .. crappy really, or let's say outdated. Back then I didn't even know about the xmlhttprequest object, so all page loading is done via hidden iframes. Yuck And like the article says, there are now new technologies that we can use - a modern browser desktop could be much better than lfsworld currently is ...

Could it be time for an LFSWorld Update?

Quote from Fire_optikz001 :all google chrome web apps is, is links to the websites...

You are, halfway, right. You can also include static files within your webapp crx file that can be cached and used by your online app.
Why update something which does the job perfectly well?

Quote from Dygear : (THAT's A GREAT IDEA FOR PRISM!)

Lots of great idea's but wasn't that project halted for at least three months?
Quote from cargame.nl :Why update something which does the job perfectly well?

As Dygear stated in first post, turning a webpage into a web app only requires adding one manifest file and one 128x128 icon.
Quote from cargame.nl :Lots of great idea's but wasn't that project halted for at least three months?

Yep, until I'm done with Medic class.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG