The online racing simulator
Labelling Private Skins
(14 posts, started )
Labelling Private Skins
Ahoyhoy,

I don't know if this has been brought up or not but i thought i'd make a suggestion on people making their skins and distributing them.

If the skin is a private/team skin, can there be some kind of standard text/label that is put on the skins to say that it's for private use only?

I've rummaged through my skins_x folder to see what cool skins are resting on my hard drive and i've moved a few over to the skins folder, but i've only moved ones that dont have any signs of a team skin on them. But i don't want to accidently use peoples private skins.

So would be good if there was some kind of label people put somewhere on the skin to say it's for private use only. Something as simple as "PRIVATE" slapped on the windscreen or something like that.
#2 - joen
edit: i misunderstood and said something stupid, sorry
#3 - Smax
Examine the skin file for text, most of the private skins I have come across have a notice asking people not to use the skin written on them somewhere. If not, but the skin design is based around a whacking great team decal/team name, which is obviously the property of a specific them, then it's a fair bet it's supposed to be a private skin.

Generally speaking in the LFS community it's considered bad manners to copy stuff from skins_x to skins and start using them, public skins are normally posted for download in the relevant threads in this forum. Of course it is up to you to do as you wish, but you might get the odd P.M/comment in game should you pick the wrong one from your skins_x directory
i think people just put their name on them. i put my name in my private skins... but, if the skin is named as : "XFG_HondaBAR" for an example, i believe that it's a public Skin...
#5 - Jakg
but being a demo racer its a LOT harder to nick a private skin
#6 - joen
You can't even use skins as a demo racer. At least, there is no skin download in the demo so others won't see the skin anyway, private skin or public.
Can you see people's skins if you exchange them and put them in your skins_x folder? I don't remember.
#7 - Jakg
Quote from joen :You can't even use skins as a demo racer. At least, there is no skin download in the demo so others won't see the skin anyway, private skin or public.
Can you see people's skins if you exchange them and put them in your skins_x folder? I don't remember.

yes, but then you can just right "PRIVATE" or public next to the image...
Quote from Smax :Generally speaking in the LFS community it's considered bad manners to copy stuff from skins_x to skins and start using them, public skins are normally posted for download in the relevant threads in this forum.

I go with this because it's the safest way not to get into trouble if someone doesn't want you to use their skin. If you want to find many skins, just browse many LFS forums, and you'll find plenty, and possibly that same skin, and you'll know it's public. Otherwise, I'd try not to take the chance... Anyways, when your on public servers.
#9 - Gunn
Quote from Dudles :i think people just put their name on them. i put my name in my private skins... but, if the skin is named as : "XFG_HondaBAR" for an example, i believe that it's a public Skin...

None of my private or team skins have my name on them and I have seen very few that do. It would be best to make a judgement based on the skin's name.
Cool, thanks guys/girls.

That's pretty much what i've been doing, just looking for text (gets a bit blurry @ 512x512 low quality jpeg, sometimes hard to read) and looking at the name of the file. Generally also if it has a number anywhere on the car then i assume that's a team number so i leave those too.

Oh well, if people start putting something on the skin that's easily identified to say it's private then that's good. Up to the individual if they want to to do so. I know i'm going to, just to have that extra bit of security.

Cheers
I've just made it a point that my new personal skin has my name in the biggest possible letters down the bottom of the door(s)

So **** you skins_x trolls :P
Couldn't you put something in the skins file name to say its private?

e.g. FZR_SkinName(P) or FZR_(P)SkinName
^^ that's also a good suggestion. Much easier then putting a label in the picture somewhere.

Lol this is a big stuff up that i still make today... I dont label my private or public or team skins... So far ive seen My public and private skins being used by people saying they made them. But yea i think the "XRR_Skinfile(p)" is a great idea.

Labelling Private Skins
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG