The online racing simulator
F1 driver Q
(7 posts, started )
F1 driver Q
I was thinking about this yesterday while at work and wanted to know the answers to..

A. What is the rule about a team only entering one driver in a race?

B. When did a team last enter only one driver in a race (due to illness etc)?

C. Would such a scenario happen under 2010 rules?
AFAIK:

A: A team can withdraw a car from a race at any moment if it is for technical(broken/unsafe car) or human reason(driver ill). But if it is seen as a way to cut costs, the FIA has the right to take sanctions.

In theory a driver may be replaced during a racing week-end aslong as he takes part in at least one free practice session(for example, Gene replaced Ralf Schumacher for the rest of the week-end on Saturday morning in the 2003 Italian GP)

B: 2000, Irvine withdrew from the Austrian GP on Friday(IIRC) as he was ill. I'm sure there's much more examples, but that's the first one I realled of.

C: I think so. Now you can be sure there would be a lot of suspicion if a team like HRT does that.
#3 - Rikje
Quote from DieKolkrabe :I was thinking about this yesterday while at work and wanted to know the answers to..

A. What is the rule about a team only entering one driver in a race?

B. When did a team last enter only one driver in a race (due to illness etc)?

C. Would such a scenario happen under 2010 rules?

Hungary 2009, with Massa?
I meant more when a team only has one car in a weekend (or race) instead of two as a driver can't compete
2009 Japanese GP. Toyota driver Timo Glock was seriously injured after a crash in qualifying. Toyota started the weekend with 2 drivers though
Quote from DieKolkrabe :I meant more when a team only has one car in a weekend (or race) instead of two as a driver can't compete

well...after Gilles Villeneuve's death Ferrari only entered Pironi until Tambay filled in, and the same thing happened after Berger's 89 crash. And I'm 99.94% sure it wasn't because they were too busy repairing/replacing the 2nd chassis. Given that these events happened 20+ years ago I don't know if the FIA made it mandatory for the teams to enter two drivers or not.
Quote from Senninha25 :well...after Gilles Villeneuve's death Ferrari only entered Pironi until Tambay filled in, and the same thing happened after Berger's 89 crash. And I'm 99.94% sure it wasn't because they were too busy repairing/replacing the 2nd chassis. Given that these events happened 20+ years ago I don't know if the FIA made it mandatory for the teams to enter two drivers or not.

1 car teams were pretty much frequent in the early 80s. The 2 cars rule was implemented somewhere around the late 80s, don't know the exact date though.

F1 driver Q
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG