The online racing simulator
Rule change suggestions
Hi drivers,

If anyone has any rule change suggestions, the MoE admins would be open to hearing them as we move toward finalizing this season's regulations. We have a number of changes in mind already, but they are mostly very minor.

As a preview, changes that are likely to make it into the rulebook this season include:

1. Hardcore qualifying (no shift-s/p)
2. Accidental block/unblock of chat will no longer be a DT... DT only for chat binds, intentional chat, repeated block/unblock, or not unblocking after blocking
3. Driver names not required for skins / skins must be posted pre-qualifying
4. Bumper bar–style skin identifiers for all classes, not just the slowest class.
5. Full inlap rather than parking in T1
6. Drivers may switch from one car to another within their team within a race weekend, i.e., a driver may qualify for a team's GT2 car and then race its GT1... however, the driver's GT2 qualifying laps would be invalidated. This is intended to provide teams more staffing flexibility in case of emergencies.

Any suggestions will be taken under advisement, but may not be accepted.
#2 - scipy
If you're gonna do "hardcore" qualifying, then sessions should be extended to 45-60 min. I know there's a decreased number of cars in each class and each class has a separate qual session.. but there's always someone there to screw things up. So, if sessions remain 30 min, stick with the current shift+p allowed qual system, otherwise consider extending them.
Quote from scipy :If you're gonna do "hardcore" qualifying, then sessions should be extended to 45-60 min. I know there's a decreased number of cars in each class and each class has a separate qual session.. but there's always someone there to screw things up. So, if sessions remain 30 min, stick with the current shift+p allowed qual system, otherwise consider extending them.

+1

I'd rather stick to maximizing the number of tries one has. At AS5 having hardcore qualifying results in (I believe) 4 attempts. Sure its a "challenge" but like scipy said there are so many things that can happen and if you have an accident you have to drive to the pits, repair, blah blah. Takes too much time IMO.
Thanks for the suggestion.
during the qualifying incident can have all ,the realism of the simulation is very important
#6 - scipy
Well, one other thing you could potentially do is have each class run their qualifying on a specified set of tires. GT0/1 on R3's and GT2 on R2s, since that way each class could have a reasonably quick outlap and still manage 2 hotlaps before everything went red.
#7 - Seb66
I like all of those suggestions apart from
Quote :1. Hardcore qualifying (no shift-s/p)

Unless, as scipy posted that the session would be extended to allow more runs.
It's hard enough to get people to do qualifying as it is what with it being on a different day to the race. Afaik MoE qualifying isn't broadcast so is there really any point in removing instapitting and making it last a lot longer?

I like the rest of the suggestions though.
Quote from joshdifabio :It's hard enough to get people to do qualifying as it is what with it being on a different day to the race. Afaik MoE qualifying isn't broadcast so is there really any point in removing instapitting and making it last a lot longer?

I like the rest of the suggestions though.

We are looking at adding a bonus point for pole in each class to encourage more quali participation.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :We are looking at adding a bonus point for pole in each class to encourage more quali participation.

I now have experience of 11 qualifying sessions which were 10 minutes long and had hardcore settings, of which some were even done with wind and I can tell you that it feels unbelievable to notch the pole.
Just look at Formula 1 and how long is Q3. You have 2 chances and it's really a good game of nervs and danger.

Without Shift+P all you do is go out and overdrive car all the time, always the same way and once you complete the lap. When there is no teleporting allowed you have to complete the lap and drive back to pits. Now that's when you meat the realism (pressure) of real qualifying where the best man wins.

Many of us have already tried 30 minutes action in IGTC. 30 minutes compared to 10 feels like eternity. You have 4-6 chances and that's more than plenty to make near perfect lap.
Whatever happens I don't think we need longer qualy sessions. We already have two (~30 minute?) sessions for each calss which surely is more than enough. 60 minute sessions would be way too long imo. I like Niki's suggestion of short hardcore sessions but I guess MoE is unlikely to go that way.
I like that this discussion is generating arguments from both ends.

If anyone has any rule change ideas that are not contained in the OP, we'd like to hear those too.
Safety cars? just trolling
no safety cars
Safety cars won't happen.

Next!
Quote from DeadWolfBones :[...]

1. Hardcore qualifying (no shift-s/p) - agreed, also in referral to scipy. Maybe have two qualifyings? like 20 & 10 mins?? F1 relation
2. Accidental block/unblock of chat will no longer be a DT... DT only for chat binds, intentional chat, repeated block/unblock, or not unblocking after blocking - agree, would even go a bit further and extend it to a smilie bind or comparable, just when its really on purpose. I mean ruining the race because you missed a key or sth is quite hard
3. Driver names not required for skins / skins must be posted pre-qualifying - Wouldn't agree. Driver names might be mandatory but the skin deadline should be a day before race. After Q2 lets say.
4. Bumper bar–style skin identifiers for all classes, not just the slowest class. - Yes but ALMS style maybe, and not so colorful that it ****s up everyones skin (16h)
5. Full inlap rather than parking in T1 - umm i dont really care
6. Drivers may switch from one car to another within their team within a race weekend, i.e., a driver may qualify for a team's GT2 car and then race its GT1... however, the driver's GT2 qualifying laps would be invalidated. This is intended to provide teams more staffing flexibility in case of emergencies. - Agree
[...]

-
Hi. Just wanted to check if anyone would be up for removing the apex pole in the KY3B chicane?

I've tried running the same layout minus that pole and it's quite nice. The corner radius increases by a foot or so, it's much easier to aim for the tires (since they're a much larger reference object) and if you hit/scrape them it's time lost for you. Since most people will run down the pole anyway in the race it'd be much less work for the admins and nicer to drive for the drivers if it was gone.

Let's not even talk about qual and checking every lap for pole hits.
+1
+1
+1.
Quote from N I K I :I now have experience of 11 qualifying sessions which were 10 minutes long and had hardcore settings, of which some were even done with wind and I can tell you that it feels unbelievable to notch the pole.

Many of us have already tried 30 minutes action in IGTC. 30 minutes compared to 10 feels like eternity. You have 4-6 chances and that's more than plenty to make near perfect lap.

I think it'd be great to have a qualifying session without shift+p. It adds excitement AND I think the chances for your lap getting cocked up by somebody are smaller as other racer's track position can be forecasted.

The duration for quali however should be flexible based on the laptime required for a lap at that specific track. Let's say 2-3 attempts should be possible plus a little safety time to gain enough space behind another car.

This would surely spice things up and show who is a good qualifier!
If you want to have a certain number of attempts, but not too short a session, then there is always the old F1 way of doing it...

1hr session, 12 laps (including in/out laps) limit per car.
That CPW thing on the server is gay :| meh
#24 - CSF
Yeah servers being silly with CPW failure or something.
get a restart on the go

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG